Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Monaghan United Are All Ireland Champions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts

Monaghan United Are All Ireland Champions

MONAGHAN UNITED 1 0 CORK CORINTHIANS

Monaghan United’s Under 14’s won the All Ireland Lions Club final on Sunday last in Athlone when they beat Cork Corinthians 1-0 in what was a truly great final.

Monaghan beat one of the favourites, St. Francis of Athlone Thursday last and were on a high as they had also beaten the Cork team in the National Cup a few weeks ago, so they were feeling pretty confident.

Monaghan started off the better and with the breeze behind them they came very close from a free kick by Jack McCarron. Phillip Donnelly also came close when his shot went just wide of the post. Phillip proved to be a real thorn in the side of the Corinthians every time he got the ball. As the game went on Cork got more into it but for some fine goalkeeping by Aaron McCarey, they may have taken an early lead. Monaghan’s defence of Brian McQuaid, Darren McKenna, Pete Dooney and Darren Coleman were well in control of almost everything that came at them and left Cork with very little clear cut chances. Monaghan almost had the opener when Jack McCarron’s free kick was met by a powerful header by Pete Dooney that just went wide of the post. Soon after, right back Brian McQuaid, who had a great game, had a shot well saved by the Cork keeper that kept the sides level at 0-0 at half time.

In the second half, Monaghan came out of the blocks quicker and got off to a great start when Cillian Coleman , playing the role of a defensive mid-fielder, spread a lovely ball into the path of Frankie McCooney, who hit a wonderful effort just over the crossbar. The Monaghan lads really got to grips with the game and James Clarke also came close but for a great save by the Cork keeper. Monaghan go the breakthrough they deserved when Philip Donnelly found Jack McCarron on the right wing. Jack cut inside beating two players and firing a hard shot at goal. The Cork keeper saved, but it came out on the rebound into the path of James Clarke who made no mistake in finding the net. James makes a habit of scoring some very important goals and none more so than this one!

The Monaghan lads were not allowed to relax as the Cork side tried hard to get back into the game and might have but for the tight defensive work by Darren Coleman at left back.

Monaghan introduced Damien Smith for Frankie McCooey who had worked his socks off in midfield. Damien came on to the left wing, Jack McCarron moved into the centre with Cillian Coleman, a move that sealed Cork’s fate. Cillian was given more space and spread some outstanding balls from the middle of the park, the first to Damien Smith who beat the full back and fired just wide of the post. Cillian then in another move, found Niall Keenan on the right, who laid it back to Brian McQuaid, whose inch perfect cross was met by the Cork keeper.

Another substitution saw Keane Byrne come into the fray for Niall Keenan. Keane slotted into right back bringing Brian McQuaid forward onto the right wing. Darren Coleman gave a lovely through ball to Philip Donnelly, Philip’s wee flick beat the Cork defence into the path of Brian McQuaid who fired a shot that just went inches wide of the post. Monaghan’s bombardment of the Cork defence for the next 10 minutes saw two shots hitting the crossbar and another coming out from the post, the game should have been dead and buried at this stage.

Cork’s never say die attitude kept Monaghan on the back foot for the dying minutes of the game, but the Monaghan lads, whose defensive record is second to none, stayed solid. At the final whistle Monaghan United were the Lions Club Champions for 2007.

This is an incredible achievement by this bunch of lads as it is the first time a Monaghan team has won this competition. Special thanks to Brian Lenihan and The Monaghan Lions Club President, Mr McElvaney, who made the trip and big thank you to all the parents and friends who travelled to Athlone to support the team, a very proud day for all.

Eight of this team played in the National Cup Final two years ago and went on to represent Ireland in a mini World Cup held in South Korea. Last year they were knocked out at the quarter final stages of the National Cup by Cherry Orchard, beaten only by a penalty. This year they made it to the semi finals and were beaten by Cup favourites St Kevin’s of Dublin. The St Kevin’s team have no less than 7 Irish team players wand they are going for their 3rd National title in three years. It shows the measure of these young Monaghan lads, who made it through to the semi’s out of 1000 entries in the competition and in over 30 games this season, they have only conceded 7 goals.

It is not all over yet for this team as their next outing is on Sunday when they defend their Dundalk Cup title and try to achieve their 3rd Cup and League double in 3 consecutive years. Good luck to you all.

Team: Aaron McCarey, Brian McQuaid, Darren McKenna, Pete Dooney, Darren Coleman, Jack McCarron, Cillian Coleman, Frankie McCooey, Niall Keenan, Philip Donnelly, James Clarke, Damien Smith, Dermot Smith, Conor Campbell, Keane Byrne.

Man of the Match: Philip Donnelly.

Manager: Brian Finnegan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Do you ever get lonely talking to yourself in here magicme?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Yes I do, thats why I have to cosy up to the likes of yourselves from time to time but people do read some of the stuff I post up here.

Actually, I like being queen of this planet!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Magicme View Post
    Yes I do, thats why I have to cosy up to the likes of yourselves from time to time
    Jesus are you not content with two Limerickmen already fighting over you

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Ha ha....they are not fighting over me!

Anyway, only 2 men fighting for my attention would be a slow day boy!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Keep on posting the stuff here magicme. I don't visit club websites and get my news through here.

The more clubs doing press releases the more LOI stuff that gets into papers...
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    magicme, I'll e-mail you the photos from the website in full quality versions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Brill thanks monutdfc.

Good to hear dodge. Everything I put up here (except my flirting drivel and personal opinion stuff of course) goes to all the press too so if they wish to run anything they can. The 3 local newspapers use pretty much all the stuff and then some of their own too.