Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Your biggest hammering for a home game ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Yep, forced Kerr to play Gormley in the centre...
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    sligo fans: there was a more comprehensive defeat than the one we dished you a few weeks back? could and should have been a lot more
    Camac Ultras North Terrace Section

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Erstwhile Bóz View Post
    St. Pat's supporters take note: this means you may not nominate the merciless thrashing meted out by Bohs this season.

Comedy of the highest order (the post, not the Bohs performance )

As far as hamerings, nothing will ever come close to the pain of Z****u. I think it was the expectation beforehand that made it worse. We'd just done back to back leagues and thought we were really going places, as a club and a team. It's only this year that I actually feel we're getting even close to that level again.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Back to my first post, when Athlone (83) and Derry (89) both beat us 4-0 at home, we were defending champions in both these years, so just to put even more gloss on both defeats or wins depending on who you support.........

Would be interesting to hear from athlone fans who saw this 83 side as i think they wont the lge by a massive and still record pts that year ? That was a super side.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by s-side hoop View Post
    or the match against Galway in 1994 in the RDS it was 5-2 or 5-3 to Galway cant remember the score exactly as im trying to erase that one from my brain. we still won the league that year though
    God, I remember that one. 5-2 it ended; Galway scored inside 30 seconds as I recall. Think they went 3-0 up at one stage. Did Rovers win 3-0 against them later in the season?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesThompson View Post
    Nobody from Shams remember a particularly cold Sunday afternoon hiding you took a few years ago?
    The first half performance that day was enough to exclude it from such a 'hammering' label.

As WAR said, Rovers 1-4 Harps is the worst I can think of...there's a few from 2005 though..notably a comprehensive 0-2 defeat to Longford at the start of 2005. A heavy defeat to Dublin City at Richmond in 2004 springs to mind as well.
    The Model Club

Tell all the Bohs you know
    that we've gone and won two-in-a-row
    and it's not gonna be three
    and it's not gonna be four
    it's more likely to be 5-1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts
    Seem to remember us (ramblers) losing 6-1 at home to Longford the year they got promotion, the weird thing about he game was that we had as many chances in the game as them, if my memory serves me right we then beat Monaghan at home in our next game 6-4. Strange days.
    ''and I for one welcome our new insect overlords''

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by d f x- View Post
    The first half performance that day was enough to exclude it from such a 'hammering' label.

As WAR said, Rovers 1-4 Harps is the worst I can think of...there's a few from 2005 though..notably a comprehensive 0-2 defeat to Longford at the start of 2005. A heavy defeat to Dublin City at Richmond in 2004 springs to mind as well.
    We could label the first half as a Bohs "Ham"

And the second half as a Rovers "Mering"

That should work...
    Kom Igen, FCK...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Last season, losing to Derry City 4-0 and then 5-0 in the cup. Also remember we lost to Finn Harps 5-1 in the League Cup in 2004. O'Riordan was sacked afterwards so some good came out of it!

In term of hammerings we gave-Galway 4-1 in 2005 and we beat Monaghan 4-1 and 4-0 that same season.
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesThompson View Post
    Nobody from Shams remember a particularly cold Sunday afternoon hiding you took a few years ago?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by d f x- View Post
    A heavy defeat to Dublin City at Richmond in 2004 springs to mind as well.
    Wasn't that heavy, 3-1 (although it could have been far more.) Our first goal was a fluke by Cottsy (tackle/chip which looped over the keeper) and I vaguely remember Keith O'Halloran levelling it just before half-time.

Our worst home defeat (in terms of the margin involved) was 0-4 at home to Shamrock Rovers in the summer of 2004, a bizarre game which we dominated for an hour, hitting the post twice, before Stephen Grant scored a hat-trick in the space of about nine seconds. Made it to the pub in time to see the Portugal-England penalty shoot-out, which softened the blow somewhat.
    A leading authority on League of Ireland football since 2003. You're probably wrong.

Middle of No Where, The Center of Everywhere.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Cobh beating Kildare County 4-0 just last season is the one I can think off.
    Everyone needs something to believe in, I believe I'll have another beer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
    Wasn't that heavy, 3-1 (although it could have been far more.) Our first goal was a fluke by Cottsy (tackle/chip which looped over the keeper) and I vaguely remember Keith O'Halloran levelling it just before half-time.

Our worst home defeat (in terms of the margin involved) was 0-4 at home to Shamrock Rovers in the summer of 2004
    It was a comprehensive win though, could've and should've been more as you say..how the striker missed an open goal to make it 4-1 at the end I don't know.

That 0-4 game was the lowest crowd at a game I've ever seen and am ever likely to see.
    Last edited by dfx-; 05/05/2007 at 4:40 PM.
    The Model Club

Tell all the Bohs you know
    that we've gone and won two-in-a-row
    and it's not gonna be three
    and it's not gonna be four
    it's more likely to be 5-1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Our biggest win at home:8-1 against monaghan 2 years ago(I think)
    COBH RAMBLERS- FIRST DIVISION CHAMPIONS '07

Equality for the rams:(

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by s-side hoop View Post
    or the match against Galway in 1994 in the RDS it was 5-2 or 5-3 to Galway cant remember the score exactly as im trying to erase that one from my brain. we still won the league that year though
    Yeah, Galway United won 5 - 2 in the RDS. The Rovers keeper (Dermot O'Neill?) went off injured early in first half when Rovers were 2 down and Wexford native Padraig Redmond made his debut in goals and probably quit football forever the following day. Rovers went on to win the league and United finished 3rd.

Galway United lost 6 - 0 at home to Derry when current Limerick37 manager Paul McGee was in charge as a player/manager.I reckon it was the 89/90 season. A few months previouly, United went 1-0 up in the Brandywell only to allow NINE in. Pat Dolan was centre half that day for Galway United. After the game. McGee told the media "we are the first team to score in the Brandywell this season and I am proud of my boys etc etc". That 9 - 1 defeat in the Brandywell must be Derry's biggest home win ever.

I actually met McGee in Galway last week and slagged him about that 9-1 game but he blamed United left back Jimmy Nolan for disrupting the patern of the game because he (Nolan) broke Derry's Stuart Gauld's leg in the game. I think that happened in a different game though.

Later in the season, United lost 3 -0 to Derry and McGee got the sack. Almost twenty years later, he got the Limerick job.

In 1993ish, Cobh Ramblers beat us 5 - 0 in Crowley Park (home of Galwegians RFC where GUFC played whilst Terryland was being renovated - it is up for sale at the moment with a €15M price tag)
    Ramblers were on fire that day but went on a marathon winless streak after that.
    Last edited by Paddyfield; 05/05/2007 at 9:04 PM.
    Nobody knows us, we don't care

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

biggest hammering for a home game.

Well the record books say we lost 0-7 at home to Limerick United in our debut season in the League. I wasn't at that game.

The biggest hiding I saw was in a friendly. In 1991 we hosted a team from , what is now called , The Czech Republic in a pre-season friendly. Banik Ostrava arrived in Belfield and meted out a football lesson beating us 6-0. The thing was UCD didn't play badly at all , and carved out 2 or 3 chances. But the difference in class at that time between Czechoslovakian First Division football and League of Ireland First Division football was a gulf of enormous proportions.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123