Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: New York

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    What did you spend the fortune on and where did you go drinking. I knew nobody over there and got no real recommendations from anybody but had a ball as I just headed down to the Lower East side, where I figured good restaurants and bars where. Then you get chatting to locals and then tell you other little bits of info and where to go etc. I thought it was a great city but you got to chat up the local women to find the info.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anto1208 View Post
    Im just back and found the place a bit of a let down , spent a fortune and bought nothing !! people are not as rude as some make out but they are not as nice as say in orlando where i went after NY.

Id say its a great city if you have someone that knows where they are going and what pubs to hit. Worth seeing but i dont think ill be in any rush back at least not for a few years while i save up
    I'm at an advantage here, as I've a mate already in New York, we're both meeting up with him, and meeting a few other American friends of mine there too, they know the place well. if they mess up, it's time to find new friends.
    'Fascists dress in black and go round telling people what to do, where as priests.....'

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    What did you spend the fortune on and where did you go drinking. I knew nobody over there and got no real recommendations from anybody but had a ball as I just headed down to the Lower East side, where I figured good restaurants and bars where. Then you get chatting to locals and then tell you other little bits of info and where to go etc. I thought it was a great city but you got to chat up the local women to find the info.
    Hotel was 900 dollars
    taxis in and out from the airport 100 dollars
    dinner 1 night 180 dollars !! the menu didnt have any prices on we should have know.
    gig tickets 80 dollars
    bus tickets 15
    2nd dinner 70 dollars
    empire state 70 dollars
    other grub 100 dollars

$1500+ for 2 nights for 2 of us and didnt buy any clothes.

compare that to 750 dollars in orlando for 3 nights in 5 star accom and 2 tickets to universal theme park 3 breakfasts lunches and dinners and taxi's etc then.

and 500 dollars on 2 suit cases full of clothes !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    You're were ripped off anto. How many times did you go to the EMpire State Building? You could've got cheaper option in and out of the airport too. Hotels are ridiculously expensive but you could've easily got a good quality room for less than 450 per night.

2 nights is no where enar enough time in New York. You'd have spent half your time in airports, taxis and hotel lobbies. When you're not rushinga round as much, you might enjoy it more

Fabulous, fabulous place IMO
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Spent a summer there on the J1, I was home days before 9/11. Really loved it, I haven't been back since but I'm dying to go some time.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Yeah I bought the 7 day thing for the subway and thats how I got too and from the airport. Go into Jack Dempseys bar and you can get free to the Empire State building.
    In Trap we trust

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    You're were ripped off anto. How many times did you go to the EMpire State Building? You could've got cheaper option in and out of the airport too. Hotels are ridiculously expensive but you could've easily got a good quality room for less than 450 per night.

2 nights is no where enar enough time in New York. You'd have spent half your time in airports, taxis and hotel lobbies. When you're not rushinga round as much, you might enjoy it more

Fabulous, fabulous place IMO
    I know ! the hotel was top notch in fairness but i booked it on a site that didnt take your money there and then and by the time i got over the exchange rate had moved and they never mentioned tax wasnt added to that price ( keep this in mind when your going ). think taxes where nearly 150 dollars so when i booked it it was 750 which was under 500 euro at the time which was costly but even 3 stars where not that much cheaper.

I was going to get subways but after the flight over ( my worst flight ever , too much stress and the bird in toe taxis where just easier )

Id say id like it if i was on my own , but when you have the bird with you that wants to go to all the tourist traps your going to shell out for it.

And orlando was just so fecking nice it would be hard for any city to come out looking good after being there.

Another thing to watch is some hotels charge an excess to the room it can be a few hundred dollars and it goes back on the card a few days later but i got caught in vegas thinking i had 700 euro on the CC when i fact i had only 80 i could get at. just to be wary of sticking your money on the CC when travelling over.
    Last edited by anto1208; 29/09/2008 at 4:35 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    lesson to be learnt is do not have a bird.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts
    lesson to be learnt is do not have a bird.
    Ah damn, if you'd told me that a month ago..
    'Fascists dress in black and go round telling people what to do, where as priests.....'

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    dont bring an apple to the orchard as was once said by a Derry fella on here before.

If you go to the states and you are irish you would be mental to. If you have a g/f then thats a bit different I spose
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    dont bring an apple to the orchard as was once said by a Derry fella on here before.

If you go to the states and you are irish you would be mental to. If you have a g/f then thats a bit different I spose
    I'm going to say nothing and keep saying it. Tomorrow Im there folks, I shall report when I get back!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts
    Back from New York and i have to say, what a city. Absolutely loved it. What made it for me was the people. Had some fantastic times and memories there with new friends randomly picked up along the way, a great experience.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Go into Jack Dempseys bar
    watched the ireland - poland game there a few week ago when i was over there. do great food in the pub also.

Thought new york was amazing. we stayed in hotel pennselyvania (spelling??). right across the road from madison square gardens. great location. would definately stay there again.

Saw the nicks play in MSG and was great fun.thought the people were very friendly.would definately go back again.

Did a bit of shopping. wasnt too impressed with woodbury common. everythnig was so cheap.
    Saint Patricks Athletic Fans Team. Eircom League Supporters Cup Champions 2006. P3 W2 D1 L0 F3 A0. Thats why we're champions, Thats why we're champions, Thats why.............

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by green army View Post

Did a bit of shopping. wasnt too impressed with woodbury common. everythnig was so cheap.
    Isn't that why people go out to woodbury common in the first place?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Hoboken New Jersey is the best place to go when visiting New York. It is a 5 min ride by local train (33rd street staton). Or 2 min ride by local ferry. Great place with some of the best bars/clubs (Maxwell's music club) and restaurants. Mulligan's on first street is a great place to watch the matches. No tourists and prices are lower than Manhattan.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    Heading in April and staying in The Wellington Hotel for 4 nights. Anyone who was over recently make any amazing discoveries? What would be the essential must see/must do's for a first time (and possibly last time) visitor? I know I should just read the thread....

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts

New York

going to new york paddys week, just wondering if anyone stayed in an apartment or a decent located hotel at a good price? Basically trying to do it for 4 lads on the cheap. Just wondering what others have done.

Crosby87 told me to check out atlantic city, i was supposed to go there before, the poor mans vegas as they call it, anyone gone their and recommend anything in particular stuff to do?!

ive been to new york before but it will be 8 years when i get there....just wondering what others reckon would be good to do/see or good spots to go out.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    it will be 8 years when i get there ...that's one slow plane :-)

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    ya i meant to say im rowing myself there in a curragh stopping off at thta island in the middle of the atlantic where they brought some flowers in 1850s or so and now its got a huge natural habitation of wild flowers and plants etc. I might bring some hashish to let the time build up until I'm ready to finish the journey and arrive in 2018.

I meant to say it will have been 8 years since i was last there

Damn im getting old. Im going to have a midlife crisis at 30 in a few years.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Ha..ha..very good. I haven't been there since 2000 myself, so I'm not much good to ya!!!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast