Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Match Programmes

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

Match Programmes

Sussing people's views on NL match programmes...

Would you buy one at City home games (Why/why not)?
    Would you buy one at City away games (Why/why not)?

What would you like to see in a programme?
    What do you hate to see in NL programmes?

Do you think NL programmes are/are not well produced, is the standard good/bad, have they improved over the years?

Do you think programmes are value for money/a waste of time/a good way to support your club/a good source of club info?

If you were not a regular programme buyer, what would persuade you to become one?

Just a thought: if 2,000 fans bought programmes at every home game of the season (say 20 games) a club could earn €80,000 on sales alone. This is sizable money, I think you will agree.

It seems a good way to contribute to the financial health of CCFC.

Be interested in any feedback.

Thanks!

Donie

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Re: Match Programmes

Would you buy one at City home games (Why/why not)? Yes
    Would you buy one at City away games (Why/why not)? Not often cos poor quality in many of them.

What would you like to see in a programme? Dunno. Would think seasons stats page to mandatory. Some articles on something besides Roy Keane & Mick McCarthy.
    What do you hate to see in NL programmes? Crappy pen pics (no reference to Pats) that are either out of date, lifted from website or just typed in big font to fill out the programme.

Do you think NL programmes are/are not well produced, is the standard good/bad, have they improved over the years? Some small clubs give the impression they just print them cos its a condition of league membership. CCFC programme been good throughout the years.

Do you think programmes are value for money/a waste of time/a good way to support your club/a good source of club info? probably not enough info every 2 weeks to justify so must be way to support the club.

If you were not a regular programme buyer, what would persuade you to become one? Better read, better value.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Pat MacGroyne
    The City programe is one of the better ones on the EL market and me and my friends have no problem buying it. It is a credit to the editors and a bargain at 2 euros.

However it would be better if:

Less Noelle Feeney Marketing and the other fella ( I skip their columns).
    More Manager notes- Murphy did 1 all season.
    A letters page granted it needs letter writers!!!
    Perhaps a what ever happened to - Cormac Cotter for example.
    More colour features- if it is viable.

As I say these are just a few small things and as it stands Citys programe is one of the best in Ireland, north and South

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Would you buy one at City home games (Why/why not)? Yes. Cos i collect them.
    Would you buy one at City away games (Why/why not)? Same as above.

What would you like to see in a programme? Interviews with players. News from the club. Managers cloumn actually saying something other than mindless cliches.
    What do you hate to see in NL programmes? Attacks on fans for having their opinions and long-winded glorification of X, Y or Z supermarket for sponsoring the bleedin' match ball.

Do you think NL programmes are/are not well produced, is the standard good/bad, have they improved over the years? Improved hugely over the last while, most programmes reflect the state of the club. Top sides usually have better programmes.

Do you think programmes are value for money/a waste of time/a good way to support your club/a good source of club info? A bit on the expensive side, but apparently profit margin isn't great so fair enough. Are a good source of info, but could be even better.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I buy the programme at every game I attend. First of all let's be realistic Éanna, City have to acknowledge their sponsors, we should be grateful to have them and not begrudge them a page in the programme.

I always read the chairman's page, because he uses it to communicate his plans, and they seem ambitious (fair dues Brian). However I would like to see a regular manager's column(Gunther never grasped the fact that the fans actually matter).

Also I think it's time City adopted squad numbers and that these would be printed in the programme. This may help the sale of jerseys (O'Flynn number 9), and also make things easier for the casual visitor, who surely needs encouragement>
    "Allow children to learn by making their own mistakes, laughing at their stupidity often helps."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Originally posted by The Donie Forde
    Yes ... For a number of reasons, To keep up to date on the club's exploits. (I feel the same about Noelles/Jim Murphy (???) page, It should be more about the marketing side of the club and not her opinion on everything, i'd want to know how active the club is on that side of things. Christmas appeals and schools tours is all well and good but fund raising is more important news. Sponcers have to get a mention but if the page was more ... 'honest' it would be easier to read). To support the club. Something to read at half time etc. because it is good effort by the club. If the ads in the program were bigger money wise then there would be less room taken up by them. I'd like to see that happen.

They are brutal half the time but yeah, just to say i was there (collect them) City's it definitely one of the best in the country at the moment.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    No, because the half time entertainment keeps me enthralled. Seriously, I dont bother with programmes.
    No, am not interested in programmes

What would you like to see in a programme? Honesty, humour and news. But I get my fix of this on the website here

Do you think NL programmes are/are not well produced, is the standard good/bad, have they improved over the years? From the odd one I see, the standard is improving, but was always fairly high at City.

Do you think programmes are value for money/a waste of time/a good way to support your club/a good source of club info?

If you were not a regular programme buyer, what would persuade you to become one? A meltdown in the internet might persuade me to buy one for club news, or if it was a bit more humorous, like the fanzine.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by The Donie Forde

Yes. Latest news and odds bits of info about the club and players

Not ususually. Although I did at St Pats because of the unique nature of the content. Many of the away programmes are poor quality and leave alot to be desired.

I think that Noelle and Jim are giving too much space. A whole page for both? Most of the programmes contain the manager on the front page rather than the chairman, but since it's talking to the fans in the CCFC programme, maybe that's why the manager didn't see fit to contribute on most occasions.

Do you think NL programmes are/are not well produced, is the standard good/bad, have they improved over the years?
    Yeah, they have improved but in general need to continue. The CCFC programme is one of the best, if not the best in the country.

Is EUR2 which is nothing. Is good for value for what what we pay. I would hate to see the price increase much more though.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

Thanks...

...lads and lassies, great to get your views.
    I think one of the big problems would be to make the commercial content interesting - maybe that's impossible, I dunno. I think we have to accept that in the hunt for sponsorship clubs have to 'bow and scrape' so to speak by 'exalting' in print those who give them the bobs, so commercial stuff is gonna be included. Brilliantly produced British programmes are now almost creaking under the weight of their commercial content, so the Irish scene isn't that bad yet!
    I myself believe that more interviews, so long as they are not twaddle, would be a big help - make it more of a magazine type thing.
    Clubs also need to be more honest, as someone mentioned above, and also to appreciate how powerful the printed word can be if used correctly. It's not every industry that produces its own publication for public consumption as often as football clubs do...

Any more ideas on improvements, anyone?

Donie

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by Ali-G
    No, because the half time entertainment keeps me enthralled. Seriously, I dont bother with programmes.
    No, am not interested in programmes

That's 'cos you bleedin' read mine, cheapo

I likes the quiz the season stats, but could do with a bit more info in behind the scene's stuff - injuries, squad players etc.

I'm dead curious as to what happened Cormac as well - would hav ehad a good career in the NFL i reckon...
    Mick D. for Ireland!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Originally posted by The Donie Forde
    Sussing people's views on NL match programmes...
    Always. Some extra money for the club.

Yeah. Because I was there!

Some general eL news, maybe a column/article by someone from the FAI/League on some aspect of the league concerning all clubs.
    Some stats/info on the officials (refs etc)
    Maybe a column where fans could contribute an article.

Well, in the CCFC prog, couldn't the Noelle/Jim O'M pieces be on the same page or the same article?
    Stupid cut and paste pieces with no research on whats been written !!

CCFC prog is pretty good. Bohs and $hels also. The rest can be iffy
    (I have never gotten a Longford prog though)

Well worthwhile if the effort is put into them.

If you were not a regular programme buyer, what would persuade you to become one?
    At each home game, a photo is taken of a fan in the crowd. Print the pic in the next prog, then if the fan presents the prog with his/her pic at the game, a prize (shirt/baseball hat etc) is awarded. Would have to be well publicised though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    why does noelle even have a piece in the programme?

Neil
    Originally posted by Pablo
    why does noelle even have a piece in the programme?
    Sure it's HER club Pablo!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Originally posted by Neil
    Sure it's HER club Pablo!
    sure i forgot about that! my apologies

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Always do, gives and extra €2 to the club plus I usually have €2 left from paying at the gate.

No, don't want to help out other clubs.

Player profiles (Profile a different player each programme, having their views on events/matches that occurred since the last programme, interests, stuff like that.)
    Maybe a Diary from one of the more senior players.
    More news on the the underage scene..Bright prospects, acievements etc..
    Letters section.
    Polls, fans views, fans interaction page. (You could ask the fans opinion on new kits, merchandise, etc.. After all it is the fans who will be buying them)

Noelle's column is rubbish and so is the commercial column. There is no way they should be given a page each whenthey barely talk about their respective areas. All they are at the moment is fillers.
    There are too many adds but I can understand why.

They have improved over the years. City's programme is pretty good overall.

value for money/a good way to support your club/a good source of club info.
    I wouldn't like the proce to increase though.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

Re: Re: Match Programmes

Originally posted by oddboy
    [
    Some stats/info on the officials (refs etc)
    City usually have stuff about the refs in fairness...

Donie

Neil
    Usually. It's getting a few exclusives this season. Which is the way it should be.

Sometimes. Most of them are crap.

News from behind the scenes. Merchandising and marketing Ideas (not the dribble that Noelle and Jim Murphy lash out every other week).

Ads for butchers and corner shops!

City's is quite good, but could be anawful lot better.

Yes, good way to support club.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes. Basically its just a way of supporting the club.

It depends what mood I'm in. I used to buy one at every game just to prove I was there! Now, however, I only buy them if i'm in a good mood and if the quality is good.

More interviews with players etc. Stuff that people actually WANT to read.

The Noelle and Jim Murphy type stuff. They have nothing interesting to say and nobody wants to read what they write. The general consensus seems to be that they have no place in the programme.

Bohs and Longfords are very good. Citys and Pats aint bad either.

Do you think programmes are value for money/a waste of time/a good way to support your club/a good source of club info?It is a good way of supporting the club.

More stuff that will interest the fans and less of the bullsh!t.
    Last edited by Colm; 05/02/2003 at 5:34 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Substantial interviews would be a good way to go, as we don't a club magazine or a league magazine either.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Originally posted by bert
    First of all let's be realistic Éanna, City have to acknowledge their sponsors, we should be grateful to have them and not begrudge them a page in the programme.
    Thats not what i was getting at- I was referring to the virtual eulogies written to sponsors in Jim Murphy and Noelle Feeney's columns. If someone sponsors something and they get an ad in the programme for it thats a fair exchange and I've no problem with it, but this "we welcome X and his gang this week. X has been a huge city fan blah blah blah" for about 4 or 5 lines as well is a bit much I think.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast