Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 7 of 76 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Thread: Damien Duff

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Heard Gilesy on the radio last night saying how Duff had already become a much more complete player under Mourinho.
    Together with all our hearts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fergalr
    Heard Gilesy on the radio last night saying how Duff had already become a much more complete player under Mourinho.
    I'd listen me granny before Johnny Giles. Yes, Duff is doing a lot of defensive work and doing it well but I still preferred the old Duffer that ran by 3 players and hit the ball into the top corner. Robben was great defensively on Tuesday but that didn't stop him running by players.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy
    I'd listen me granny before Johnny Giles. Yes, Duff is doing a lot of defensive work and doing it well but I still preferred the old Duffer that ran by 3 players and hit the ball into the top corner. Robben was great defensively on Tuesday but that didn't stop him running by players.
    When your Granny gets a gig on newstalk or tv3 then I'll be happy to get the benefit of her football punditary.
    Meanwhile, the Duffer has scored in each of the last two premiership games. Both were low shots - can't remember him ever hitting one into the top corner.
    Together with all our hearts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Its the teams job to defend as a whole and Duff never really thought about his defensve duties before. IMO to win a competition its best to have a solid defense and only score 1 than be able to score loads but leak a lot.

IMO Duffer has become more of a all round player now, he is scoring a lot more, he is assisting a lot, he is injured far less, he defends better. I reckon by next june he will look a lot better if he keeps getting 1st team football.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I must be the only person that isn't just thinking about the national team playing. I just feel that the Irish players are representing Ireland even when playing for their clubs. I really (really!!!) get excited when watching the likes of Duff, Flood and Reid playing for there clubs. So excited that I'd actually buy myself a 6 pack just for an average club match once they're playing. These days though I might aswell be watching John O'Shea as Duff has just not been as exciting as usual. Seeing Duff run by players with his silky skills would brighten up my day. Seeing him nutmeg Puyol in a Champions League final and I don't think I'd be in work for a week.

BTW ferglar, I can honestly say that I know a lot more about present day football than John Giles (the man who didn't know who jacques Santini was when Spurs appointed him). Also, Giles is probably right about Duff, I'm not dismissing that comment if it sounds like I am.
    Last edited by eirebhoy; 05/11/2004 at 1:57 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy
    BTW ferglar, I can honestly say that I know a lot more about present day football than John Giles
    Believe me eirebhoy, you dont. When you and your granny become as respected as Johnny Giles, then I'll be willing to listen. If you actually took time out to listen to Giles analyse football you would realise how good he is. It is not all about knowing the names of every player and manager. Giles can read a game so well. Experience and knowledge of the game is what he has. People talk about Andy Gray's analysis on Sky, but Giles was the founder of such analysis on these islands. I recall him commentating on a game in Euro 04 (think it was Sweden v Bulgaria) and Giles was actually predicting with incredible accuracy what was going to happen.

As for Duff, 2 goals in his last 2 Premiership games. Duff is playing very well. He looks to be a more complete player this season. I wouldnt put Robben in the same league as our Duffer.
    "Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe." Dillo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJamaicanP.M.
    If you actually took time out to listen to Giles analyse football you would realise how good he is.
    I listen to him for at least 2-3 hours a week on Newstalk and RTE.

I recall him commentating on a game in Euro 04 (think it was Sweden v Bulgaria) and Giles was actually predicting with incredible accuracy what was going to happen.
    I suppose thats why RTE chose Ray Houghton over Giles for the knockout stages of the Euro's?

I'll listen in depth the next time he's on radio/tv though.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    They chose Ray Houghton not because he is better but because Gilsey is a bigger asset in the studio. If you look at RTE coverage over the past 15 years, Giles has been an ever-present. He is their most respected analyst by a country mile.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fergalr
    When your Granny gets a gig on newstalk or tv3 then I'll be happy to get the benefit of her football punditary.
    Meanwhile, the Duffer has scored in each of the last two premiership games. Both were low shots - can't remember him ever hitting one into the top corner.
    Two such goals immediately spring to mind.

1. His first goal for Ireland against Croatia in a friendly.

2. Two seasons back for Blackburn versus Newcastle in St. James' (Picture perfect curler past Shay Given)

Not a feast of examples, granted.

SKBIO-TOR

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Just watched the first half of Chelsea and Everton there. Arjen Robben was head and shoulders above every other player on the field. Duff was somewhat subdued.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    have to agree with you TheJamaicanP.M. Duff didnt look great. Played a lot of safe balls and Robben was playing great. Robben does look like he isnt physically strong enough and the end product isnt great but looks good on the ball.

2nd half ...

Duff did a few things but Robben looked a lot better and of course the goal. A flash of the old Duff running at defenders and getting a free but very quite overall
    Last edited by thejollyrodger; 06/11/2004 at 3:46 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thejollyrodger
    have to agree with you TheJamaicanP.M. Duff didnt look great.
    That is now a typical Duff performance. The last few matches he was getting goals and assists so people weren't commenting about the way he isn't running by players anymore.

Duff can and has done everything that Robben did today but either he won't or Mourinho won't allow him.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts

Another goal for Duff.

Nice goal against Porto, I have to say that the keeper looked
    seriously dodgy though.
    1:0 up with Duff on, lost 2:1 when he was subbed! I didnt
    see the match myself though unfortunately.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Actually the match is being shown now on ITV (just started ).
    Started the video recorder!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    The keeper should have stopped it but great to see duff scoring again. If we could sort another winger out 4-3-3 might be the solution to Irelands goal scoring problems

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    We may not have to wait too long for that solution if Messrs Flood and McGeady continue with their good recent progress....
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    Well we have Reid & McGeady coming through who'd both be suited to this type of role in a 4-3-3. Neither of these is polished enough yet for us to make a once-and-for-all change to this formation, but it's definitely an option to consider.

Chelsea seem to be putting the 4-3-3 shape to good effect though Portugal were desperately short of goal threat using this shape during the summer.

As far as I know Denmark have used 4-3-3 to good effect using players like Rommedahl, Lovenkrands & Gronkjaer in the wide positions with a good goalscorer like Tomassen in the middle. A solid midfield led by the (up until now) underrated Gravesen was key to this set up. They also use a more traditional shape with Sand upfront with Tomassen. This shows that if you have the players a versatile approach can be accomodated, not a rigid insistence on 4-4-2.

I still feel that a 3-4-1-2 could work for us in due course simply because it'd allow us to play to our strengths by having more of our tricky, skilful players on the pitch at the same time, without having to trust Robbie playing upfront unsupported. That's just me though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Id actually love to get the stats to see how many times Chelsea have lost with Duff on the pitch, it seems they loose all shape and composure when he's taken off.. He's really showing his quality recently, Robben's been in his shadow for a couple of weeks now.. Player of the season prospects?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by M@ttitude
    Id actually love to get the stats to see how many times Chelsea have lost with Duff on the pitch, it seems they loose all shape and composure when he's taken off.. He's really showing his quality recently, Robben's been in his shadow for a couple of weeks now.. Player of the season prospects?
    Yeah, Duff has been better than Robben in the last 5 or 6 games but if you still asked an Englishman who's the in-form player they'd say Robben.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I know that has annoyed me for years, even Johnny Giles said in the herald last week that Robben is the best winger in the premiership.. Doubt it! No one touches Duff on the left wing, If Duff was English, he'd be hailed the new George Best, Pele, Roooooney, thank god he's not..

Page 7 of 76 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast