Results 1,381 to 1,400 of 1520

Thread: Damien Duff

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    An in-depth interview of Damien Duff by Brian Kerr: http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-35584259.html

He discusses the importance of keeping himself occupied since retiring, having over-done things physically during his career, his frustration with youth teams playing long-ball tactics, former managers, dressing-room egos (particularly in relation to the treatment of his former manager Claudio Ranieri at Leicester this season) and, amusingly, having met John Delaney in the Wetherspoon's pub at Heathrow Airport in order to receive his one hundredth international cap over a shandy.

The full thing is well worth a read.
    A lot of excellent points by Duffer, particularly the part about our underage teams doing nothing but hitting the long ball. And if we want the national team to play like Spain then we better make sure our U-14's are playing that way now, which of course they're not. Saying it since I was blue in the face, but it all comes down to coaching. Just a little window into two different coaching systems we witnessed last week. One is ours, where a team of essentially second and third stringers showed very little cohesion at the Aviva Stadium and tested the opposition goalkeeper but once. The other (Iceland) was a team which was also thrown together. But the difference was their technique and their ability to play in a system which maximizes their abilities. They made themselves quite fluid going forward, very hard to break down and aware of each others positioning at all times. That's the benefit of proper coaching they likely got as young kids in Reykavik versus the tried and tested and failed English long ball system our lads grew up with. And Iceland (lest we forget) were the whipping boys of Europe barely four years ago. Proper coaching and proper education in the game yields results as Iceland have shown us. If we want results, we've got to follow their example.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,360 Posts
    In fairness, 99% of kids are being taught the correct way to play football now.

I've watched a fair share of the national under-17 and under-19 leagues since their formation and the football played, for the best part, has been excellent.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    Saying it since I was blue in the face, but it all comes down to coaching.
    And what were you saying before you went blue in the face?

5. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    And what were you saying before you went blue in the face?
    Tended to talk about the red blotches

7. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    In fairness, 99% of kids are being taught the correct way to play football now.

I've watched a fair share of the national under-17 and under-19 leagues since their formation and the football played, for the best part, has been excellent.
    Good to hear. Can only bode well for the future

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Delaney and Duff meeting at the weatherspoons in Heathrow to hand over the cap is almost real life Partridge

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,341 Posts
    Duff preferred that he got it that way: http://m.herald.ie/sport/soccer/i-wa...-29330243.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Duffer picks the best XI he's played with for Sky Sports. He must have fallen out with Shay Given! (not to mention Petr Cech). I had forgotten he played briefly with David Villa at Melbourne. He obviously rates Mousa Dembele very highly, I do as well, making the side ahead of the likes of Makelele, Tugay and Jonathan Douglas.

http://www.the42.ie/damien-duff-one-...88207-May2017/

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,360 Posts
    And not a single Shamrock Rovers player..
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Jonathan Douglas was a surprise!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,916 Posts
    Who's that Harte fellow at LB?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    A FIFA TV feature on Duff's career and move into training with Shamrock Rovers:

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,341 Posts
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts

Sorry...The article you were trying to read was free only for a limited time

The Times & The Sunday Times
    March 23 2017, 12:01am,
    The Times
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Early mornings and late nights help Damien Duff earn his stripes

The ex-Ireland international is in his element coaching Shamrock Rovers’ under-15s

It’s 5.45 in the morning and Damien Duff is switching on the floodlights at the Roadstone sports complex in Tallaght where Shamrock Rovers do their training. Slowly does it, one floodlight after another, or there will be an explosion and the Rovers under-15s who are on their way to join him will be left in the dark. The floodlights have cameras in them and his wife Elaine blew a fuse in Easter week when Duff took his computer out and started watching training sessions taken by the other coaches for the under-15s while on a family holiday in France. “My missus told me ‘get a life, you’re obsessed’. I said ‘I know I’m obsessed’. That is the magic formula.”

Famously, Duff’s obsession as a player was getting his sleep — hence the Rip Van Winkle comparison made by Niall Quinn — and it tickles people when they find out that his coaching role with the under-15s means a lot of late nights and early starts.

Before the dawn on Tuesday morning it was foggy and wet as Duff paced out the 4G pitch and placed down his cones. As he disappeared into the mist at the far end of the pitch, it was difficult not to forget that he could still be in Melbourne, where he finished his playing career, eating sea food and enjoying the 25C heat.

“If I didn’t have kids I would be there now. The lifestyle was great,” Duff says, before a pause. “I hate that phrase ‘if I didn’t have kids’. It’s the best thing that ever happened to me. We came home because we wanted to bring them up in Ireland, with our parents. I have two kids at home and 17 here. I, literally, love my 15s.”

This is the first group of teenagers that Duff has coached and perhaps when a few different sets of boys have passed through his care, his emotions won’t burn quite so brightly. He does some television punditry, but this is his full-time job, albeit one for which he receives no pay.

“Other underage coaches and managers probably aren’t able to put in the same hours as I do because they are in full-time jobs. I am fortunate that I can put my heart and soul into it.” Duff takes five training sessions a week, mostly for two hours in the evenings, and then there is a match in the FAI’s new national under-15s league at the weekend.

“It was my idea; let’s train them as much as we can. It’s unheard of in this country, even at senior level, but they need it. I run it like a Premier League academy. We are hard on them, rightly or wrongly. I have seen presentations in the past few years by people here to under-15 squads where they say train for 40 minutes, take a day off, do an hour there. These people are telling kids to train less and I want them to train twice as much. One of us is wrong and it’s not me.”

The session is all about encouragement and positivity and is built around a series of drills where the boys get as many touches on the ball as possible. They are ones he learned from Jose Mourinho at Chelsea and at Melbourne and he has sketched them out in green ink in his small notebook. “I just go off memory. I should have written them down at the time, but I didn’t think I would be doing this.”

Duff has been up till midnight washing the bibs and putting the final touches on devising the session, but his energy and enthusiasm is infectious, as the boys join him and the session begins. He has left the motivational banners at home this morning, but he doesn’t need them as the balls start pinging about.

“Believe in it. If you don’t believe in it you will yank it.”

“Just a soft little touch back, not a pass.”

“One touch. Might need to give the eyes on this one now.”

“Somebody has to take the sting out of the ball.”

“Disguise, disguise.”

Duff joins in a keep-ball drill, even though his hip is bothering him because he played a charity game in Derry the day before. When a breathless session ends, he distributes breakfast from a paper bag; protein bars and pastries which he has purchased at a garage the night before. In a normal week, he would drop a couple of the lads at school before heading home, but instead he hangs around afterwards waiting for the senior squad to show up. As he picks up the bag of balls and heads back to the trailer where they are stored, he is walking like Mick McCarthy, which is somewhat worrying.

“The FAI doctor, Alan Byrne, told me never to play football again so I obviously haven’t listened too good to him. I am just at my happiest on the pitch, whether it is with these lot or playing myself. If I do play, I don’t move too well the next day, but I will fight it all I can. I am not going to get a [hip] replacement any time soon.”

The senior Shamrock Rovers manager Stephen Bradley provides a different type of advice: “Stephen said to me, ‘what about this, what about that?’ and I said, ‘how do you know?’ He was watching the sessions on the cameras. There is no hiding place. If he misses one of our games, he will watch it back. That is what you are dealing with here.”

So why does he do it? He is not a Rovers fan and doesn’t follow the League of Ireland at senior level. Is it a form of penance after the excesses of the Premier League, a payback perhaps for the “****ty” time at Newcastle, the only club in England at which he was a flop?

“When I came back to play here, I don’t think I gave back much on the pitch, so this is my way. I don’t want to sound arrogant, but I don’t think anybody else in this country can teach kids a football education and what it takes to become a player better than myself and my staff. Nothing would make me happier than to see one of them go on to have a career.”

Duff has done his B and A licence and is mulling over whether to go down the Pro-Licence route, which might lead him off in a different direction. “I am starting to think I might just stay with this age. The coaches laugh about it, but when I pass them on in October or November, I will be proper devastated. I have a bond with them and I would like to think that I have improved them.”

It is time to turn the lights off and lock up. He thinks of his old friends and teammates, Robbie Keane and Richard Dunne, scattered around the world. “It’s horses for courses. Richie is in the south of France, Robbie is managing a team in India and I’m in Tallaght, which is where they are both from. Say no more.”

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,341 Posts
    Duff interviewed on Off The Ball this morning

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    490 Posts
    I've an awful lot of time for Damien Duff. He is clearly both intelligent and articulate in equal measure. I think he does a great job on rte and what he is doing in coaching is wonderful for Irish football.

But I think he has laid it on a bit thick here.

He is obviously angry and I understand why. Liam Miller was clearly a friend of his and what happened was a tragedy.

But the real issue here is that in a county of half a million people the biggest soccer stadium only holds 7500 people. The GAA have got their **** together in a way the FAI and LOI clubs have failed to do. The simple fact is that the GAA have built that stadium and football is a rival sport. Why should they hand over the keys?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,341 Posts
    This discussion has spun out of duff's comments on the GAA, which is fine, but any further off topic and I'll move posts to a different thread

<EDIT>

Posts related to Rule 42 moved to Rule 42 thread
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 28/07/2018 at 12:41 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    461 Posts
    newstalk saying duff has offer of reserve team coach at Celtic and is likely to go. might be helpful with okoflex committing to us

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,341 Posts
    yeah, he mentioned it in the build up to the United - Young Boys game on RTE. Said he'd been over for talks, and he'd love to work there and learn more about coaching, but nothing about a concrete offer
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

27. Thanks From:

Page 70 of 76 FirstFirst ... 20606869707172 ... LastLast