Page 6 of 76 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: Damien Duff

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thejollyrodger
    Robben in the first team How is this going to affect Duffer ??
    Mourinho has been quoted in the past that he'd play both! Remains to be seen but I wouldn't be too worried. Just lets enjoy that of all our players, Duffer is playing regularly at the highest level.
    Together with all our hearts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I don't care if Duff is playing for potentially the best team in the world, I haven't seen him run past a player in his last 2 or 3 games for Chelsea. Running past players is what makes Duff, Mourinho is fecking him up IMHO.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy
    I don't care if Duff is playing for potentially the best team in the world, I haven't seen him run past a player in his last 2 or 3 games for Chelsea. Running past players is what makes Duff, Mourinho is fecking him up IMHO.
    He is not going to loose that ability overnight. As long as he does it in a green jersey I really couldn't give a crap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by carnstien
    He is not going to loose that ability overnight. As long as he does it in a green jersey I really couldn't give a crap.
    He didn't run by Gallas once in Paris and should have ran with the ball against the Faroe's a lot more. If that was last season I've no doubt he would have tested Gallas at least once.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    He didn't run by Gallas once in Paris and should have ran with the ball against the Faroe's a lot more. If that was last season I've no doubt he would have tested Gallas at least once.
    Good point eireboy, but what about this, perhaps these managers are telling Duff not to do it as much due to the fact that defenders will be warned about his style of play, ie running past players, and adapt a gameplan to counteract him, so the managers ask him to vary his play slightly so the defenders have to reassess their gameplan, if they do that then duff can switch back to his 'last year ' style and beat them on the wing or cut inside to pass, Thus keeping the defenders guessing what he'll do, will he pass or will he attempt to go by me ! ! if i was a manager i'd do just that ! !

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Mazy runs do not alone a great player make.

Duffer is already becoming a more complete player under Mourinho and is getting consistently high ratings. He'll run with the ball when he can - witness the away game against Boro when at one stage he ran almost the entire length of the pitch.

Regarding the French game .... I don't think Duff will come up against a tougher opponent than his team mate Gallas (who was certainly France's MoM). I thought he did well and I'm sure Kerr did too.

All the Faroes game showed is that he has one area that he needs to work on - his finishing.
    Together with all our hearts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    All the Faroes game showed is that he has one area that he needs to work on - his finishing.
    Agreed. Its something that the rest of the Irish squad could work on as well.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Oh come on, Gallas knows Duffs game better than anyone and is himself one of the best defenders in the premiership. He's miles ahead of John Terry in my opinion. I think Duff had a very good game against the French and I don't think that it was any shame that Gallas kept him fairly quite as an attacking force.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Oh come on, Gallas knows Duffs game better than anyone and is himself one of the best defenders in the premiership. He's miles ahead of John Terry in my opinion. I think Duff had a very good game against the French and I don't think that it was any shame that Gallas kept him fairly quite as an attacking force.

Ditto...

Also there were one or two midfielders giving Gallas a dig out whenever Duff got the ball and made a dash for the bye-line, Duff is a marked man now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colm55
    Also there were one or two midfielders giving Gallas a dig out whenever Duff got the ball and made a dash for the bye-line.
    Plus the fact that he had little to aim at in the box after Clint went off.
    Gallas is one of the best in that position, in the world.
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Carnstein, Duff is not running with the ball half as much for club or country this season, whether he was up against Gallas, Mills or Haas. IMO running by players is his biggest attribute and Mourinho isn't letting him use it.

Its not only from a country point of view, I want to see Irish players like Duff becoming the best in the world.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Nice back heel from Duff to set up Robben's goal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Duff is very effective, he works hard and is invovled in a lot of the goals. Robbin looks technically a lot better than Duffer but doesnt look as strong and if he doesnt get past someone he dives a lot. I dont know if Muinrhiho will continue to play 4-3-3 but I rate Duff over Robben

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Duff is very effective, he works hard and is invovled in a lot of the goals. Robbin looks technically a lot better than Duffer but doesnt look as strong and if he doesnt get past someone he dives a lot. I dont know if Muinrhiho will continue to play 4-3-3 but I rate Duff over Robben
    Are you mad? Robben is not as good technically as Duff. The ball sticks to Duff's feet. Natural ability. Robben is more of a manufactured player. Even at the weekend, when Robben set up one of the goals, it was down to the fact that he got a lucky ricochet when he was dribbling the ball.
    "Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe." Dillo

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Altogether now!! (To the Beatles "Love is all u need)

All u need is Duff! (Duh, duh, duh, duh, duh)
    All u need is Duff! (Duh, duh, duh, duh, duh)
    All u need is Duff...Duff

Duff is all u need!!!

I tried my earnest to get that chant going on my foray's to Lansdowne last Summer. I wish some of yis in the South Terrace would give a shouting hand, so to speak. It would sound really class if everyone could join in.

Duff has'nt been at his mecurial best so far in the qualifiers. But think of all that space he his freeing up with seemingly every opponant doubling up on our left wing as a defensive ploy.

Fair dues Jose!
    Last edited by skbio_toronto; 02/11/2004 at 9:09 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    What we see Robben do for Chelsea is what we used to see Duff doing in every match. As I've already said, I've seen Duff 5 or 6 times this season for Chelsea and his game has changed. He's not the old fasioned winger anymore. The crowd don't get as excited when Duffer has the ball anymore. I hope I'm wrong though. He was more willing to run with the ball in the second half at least.

I want to see Duffer becoming one of Ireland's most famous players but since Robben came back he is constantly being rated higher than Duff. It is really frustrating me that he passes it to a defender rather than beat him man when we all know he can.

He has only suffer 11 fouls in the premiership so far this season, he'd usually suffer than in a single match.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Unfortunately one of the consequences of getting fouled a dozen
    times a match is injury, yes it is exciting to see Duff go past players
    but it is not very exciting when he is out injured.
    It is probably more sensible but less exciting to restrict the number of
    times he risks injury.

Look at how long Robben has been out with injury this season if you
    need futher proof of that. It seems you cant have the best of
    both worlds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    BETIS CONSIDER JOAQUIN SALE

http://www.sportinglife.com/football...&TEAMHD=soccer

Real Betis president Manuel Ruiz de Lopera has hinted that he may be prepared to sell winger Joaquin Sanchez to Chelsea.

The Spain international is the jewel in the Betis crown and Lopera has already turned down big money bids for the player from both Real Madrid and a number of English Premiership clubs.

Madrid president Florentino Perez is known to be a fan of the 23-year-old, while Lopera has revealed Chelsea have made some tempting offers.

Lopera has now admitted that Joaquin may well be on his way - but does not expect him to leave for the Bernabeu.

"I have the feeling that if Joaquin does end up at another club, it might not be Real Madrid, because we have had some offers that maybe Real Madrid can't match," he said, admitting past interest from Chelsea.

"Chelsea made me a very big offer, I said no and when they said they wanted to keep on negotiating they changed their coach and it stopped.

"But now it seems their new coach (Jose Mourinho) also likes him and we have had a few proposals in lunches we have had.

"If they raise their offer, one day we are going to say yes."
    I cant belive chelski are looking for ANOTHER winger. I hope its not a replacement for duff

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I cant belive chelski are looking for ANOTHER winger. I hope its not a replacement for duff
    Well they've no right winger and Joaquin is as good as you'd get. Mourinho rates Duff highly so its not a replacement for Duff, it would probably mean less games though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Yes he is a right winger (I think) and I think Mourinho want to play
    Robben up front anyway?

Page 6 of 76 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast