Thread: Damien Duff

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    918 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    Robben is 28; Duffer 33.
    Cant believe Robben is only that, must be the bald napper on him.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boovidge View Post
    My 2 cents: One of the reasons I use this forum is because it's relatively better organised than others and there aren't dozens of threads on the same thing or threads with quasi cryptic titles from attention seeking posters. If we're talking about Damien Duff then it makes sense to use the "Damien Duff" thread probably...
    First off, I didn't see the Damien Duff thread, nobody has posted to it for 5 days, people had lost interest in his thread.

Secondly, the mods can always more my thread into the Damien duff thread if they so wish.

Thirdly if I search on Damien duff he is mentioned in 250+ threads, are those all to be made into one thread? No because they also mention other
    players the reality is things which people want to talk about do not always fall into a particular single category. It's complex.

Fourthly People complain about the proliferation of threads and the apparent solution of to this is to bung a load of threads into one big thread.
    Now that does not solve the problem it just makes it worse, you still have the exact same number of threads but now they are all mangled
    into one big ball of spaghetti in a super thread.
    So it achieves little apart from a superficial appearance of order in the forum. However once a thread is opened that appearance of order soon
    disappears into a bunch of mangled threads which are hard to read because they switch from one topic to another from post to post.
    Often people do not even bother to quote the post the are replying to and another post is made in the meantime and it looks like they are
    replying to them. The result an ugly mess.

That is made worse by a crappy editor which is not wiziwig so that you get spurious carriage returns all over the place. It does not have to be like that because I myself have wrote a much better editor than that
    (still have the source code )

Furthermore the whole design of this vBulletin Solutions forums is rubbish, it is not properly threaded as for example the usenet forums are, which are much easier to navigate.

5. To use the forum as intended I have to open up and read a whole lot of threads whose content I may have no interest in whatsoever. So it seem to me that I and other "sensible people" are far more put out
    than the people who find having to read a brief thread title a major psychological challanege.
    Just baffles me why someone would want to persist with an obviously crappy system, but then let's not drag Trap into this

6. When I explain my reasoning I never really get any logically valid responses, which does not really surprise me lol, I guess people just do not know why they like what I consider a to be an even worse system, so for me is a bit like trying to reason with some who has been brainwashed by Church of Scientology or whatever, it's not gonna happen.
    Last edited by tricky_colour; 30/06/2012 at 3:06 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    First off, I didn't see the Damien Duff thread, nobody has posted to it for 5 days, people had lost interest in his thread.
    Or people were more interested in other threads

Secondly, the mods can always more my thread into the Damien duff thread if they so wish.
    In case you haven't noticed, there's only one mod for the International forum

Thirdly if I search on Damien duff he is mentioned in 250+ threads, are those all to be made into one thread? No because they also mention other
    players the reality is things which people want to talk about do not always fall into a particular single category. It's complex.
    That's why we have a sticky at the top of the forum with links to each player's thread.

Fourthly People complain about the proliferation of threads and the apparent solution of to this is to bung a load of threads into one big thread.
    Now that does not solve the problem it just makes it worse, you still have the exact same number of threads but now they are all mangled
    into one big ball of spaghetti in a super thread.
    So it achieves little apart from a superficial appearance of order in the forum. However once a thread is opened that appearance of order soon
    disappears into a bunch of mangled threads which are hard to read because they switch from one topic to another from post to post.
    Often people do not even bother to quote the post the are replying to and another post is made in the meantime and it looks like they are
    replying to them. The result an ugly mess.
    Everybody else seems fine with it

That is made worse by a crappy editor which is not wiziwig so that you get spurious carriage returns all over the place. It does not have to be like that because I myself have wrote a much better editor than that
    (still have the source code )
    wiziwig editors would be massive drain on system resources, both client and server. For simple text replies, all the options you really need are in the existing editor

Furthermore the whole design of this vBulletin Solutions forums is rubbish, it is not properly threaded as for example the usenet forums are, which are much easier to navigate.
    If you're using usenet as an example of a "proper" forum, you've got bigger problems, I stopped using that particular mess before 2000

5. To use the forum as intended I have to open up and read a whole lot of threads whose content I may have no interest in whatsoever.
    So write a plugin

So it seem to me that I and other "sensible people" are far more put out than the people who find having to read a brief thread title a major psychological challanege.
    Just baffles me my someone would want to persist with an obviously crappy system, but then let's not drag Trap into this

6. When I explain my reasoning I never really get any logically valid responses, which does not really surprise me lol, I guess people just do not know why they like what I consider a to be an even worse system, so for me is a bit like trying to reason with some who has been brainwashed by Church of Scientology or whatever, it's not gonna happen.
    Seriously, if you think this is a crappy system, try the soccer forum on boards.ie.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

4. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    Fine storm here in this teacup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    What about that Stephen Ireland chap......

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,747 Posts
    Good on him. Would be great to see him in the LOI when he sees the time as right.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,821 Posts
    At Bray of course.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    121 Posts
    I'm going to play until I drop.
    This is exactly the kind of attitude I wish every player had, an example as ever Damien.

Now time to revisit that whole "duff into centre mid" business again.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Good on him. Would be great to see him in the LOI when he sees the time as right.
    Definitely. I wonder what his connection to Bray is though.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,529 Posts
    Duff visiting, and patrolling with Irish troops in Lebanon.

http://twitpic.com/a3fj0b

He probably hasn't felt this exposed since the second half of the Spain game. :-|

Fair play to him though, good to see.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,922 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Definitely. I wonder what his connection to Bray is though.
    Agent Devlin.

16. Thanks From:

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    430 Posts
    Delighted he's staying on. Probably still our most technically gifted player. I don't think players should retire from international football anyway, it should be the manager's call and if he thinks younger players have more to offer then fair enough.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    587 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Murfinator View Post
    This is exactly the kind of attitude I wish every player had, an example as ever Damien.

Now time to revisit that whole "duff into centre mid" business again.
    He will have to adjust his game if he is going to keep playing so into midfield it is and then work his way back to sweeper !

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    Great news.

Central midfield three of Duffer (captain), McCarthy and Gibson. Aiden and McClean out wide and Long up front on his own.

Defence? We won't need one.

But Trap picks Cox ahead of Duff in central midfield, so I don't see it happening.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    587 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brine3 View Post
    Great news.

Central midfield three of Duffer (captain), McCarthy and Gibson. Aiden and McClean out wide and Long up front on his own.

Defence? We won't need one.

But Trap picks Cox ahead of Duff in central midfield, so I don't see it happening.
    It would be nice to give those a chance.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    121 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    He will have to adjust his game if he is going to keep playing so into midfield it is and then work his way back to sweeper !
    He has the best close control of any player in our ranks and amongst the best passing stats as well so on paper I reckon he could. We're very well stocked in the wide areas and less so central and at full back so I really wish positional changes were something considered for the next campaign. I'd love to see Hunt at left back and Duff in centre mid.

22. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,747 Posts
    I just can't see Duff as a central midfielder. His tool kit is completely different to that of a CM although I do take the point that the best CMs can carry the ball very effectively. At the Euros many CMs ate up 10 to 15 yards if the space was free. In the last few years I honestly can't remember a single instance of an Irish CM taking the ball from a CB and carrying it forward more than a few paces.

Gibson has superb close control btw. I think it's harder to take the ball in CM than it is out wide, and also harder to find space.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,395 Posts
    Nobody seen Ryan Giggs as a central midfielder either Stutts.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Page 53 of 76 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast