Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 76 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Damien Duff

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Looking at Duff and the form he's in, it makes it even worse that he won't be playing among the best next summer. He looked at home during the World Cup.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Duff

I hope this doesnt mean that Duffer is going to be demoted to the Chelsea reserves next season for some Dutch flash-in-the-pan, especially with WC Qualifiers kicking off. F*cks sake - he's been their best players this season when he's been playing, and they've been useless without him. At least he'd be able to walk into any other team in Europe.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/2004/0304/duffd.html

Damien Duff has described the arrival of Arjen Robben at Chelsea as a kick in the teeth.

Duff, signed for £17million from Blackburn last summer, has struggled to make an impact at Stamford Bridge after being hit with shoulder and Achilles injuries.

The Republic of Ireland international is on the brink of a return to first-team action after playing for the reserves in midweek but clearly sees the Dutch starlet as a threat to his long-term future.

He said: "I must admit it was a bit of a kick in the teeth after two months out to hear about it. But I'll just have to carry on doing what I always do and work hard hopefully that will be OK for me."

"I hear Robben is a left winger but I don't play there very often so maybe I'll get a game somewhere else in the team!", he added.
    Last edited by KCFC Bohs; 04/03/2004 at 3:55 PM.
    The only way is up!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    No chance. Duffer has been Chelsea's best signing this season. As all Irish fans know the guy is pure class.

Robben can also play up front and presumably Duffer could be moved to the right - I know I know same argument again.

However what could be nore worrying is the rumour doing the rounds among some Chelsea fans that Duffer has a long term injury and this achilles problem is more serious than is being let on. His shoulder also needs an operation.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Duffer has a number of injuries and with surgery on his shoulder is going miss quite a bit more football. With Chelsea's money they can afford to bring in top class cover and they need it as they have really missed Duff. I'm not just talking through green tinted glasses here though, any football fan will tell you Duff has been Chelsea's best signing so far and that's some endorsement.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think Chelsea's decline in results has been clear for all to see since Duff got injured. Clearly their most potent attacking force has been sorely missed and the suggestion that Duff, at full fitness, would be left out of any side in the world is laughable. I think Chelsea should stop signing more big name players and try to bond as a unit as it is clearly annoying the current ones. Joe Cole asked for a move, how many will follow? Chelsea have the players but they need to come together as a team.

Any if Chelsea don't want him I'm sure there are plenty of other teams who would gladly avail of his services.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I agree that when fit Duff has been one of Chelsea's two most effective players this season (the other being the vastly improved Lampard IMHO).

I think though that we are seeing signs of what could be Chelsea's ultimate undoing and the biggest flaw of 'buying' success. Joe Cole was rumoured to be uneasy about his lack fo first team football and Duffer, hardly the most troublemaking player out there, has also just expressed his dissatisfaction with another big signing. Too many big egos will just not fit into a Premiership side if they are not getting regular football. Every team needs a few water-carriers and I'm not sure Chelsea have them.
    Maybe you should put her on a leash, agent-man.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I'd say Duff really regrets not getting the operation when he got his shoulder injury. He wouldn'y have got the achilles injury then and he would probably be back playing by now. Now he has to get the op in the summer and will probably miss the US cup.

He played the full 90mins for the reserves last night and had a good game. He should start against Stuttgart on Tuesday but its a pity we don't get to see it live. Bloody TV3.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by eirebhoy
    I'd say Duff really regrets not getting the operation when he got his shoulder injury. He wouldn'y have got the achilles injury then and he would probably be back playing by now. Now he has to get the op in the summer and will probably miss the US cup.
    I wonder will his career ever recover from the impact missing the US cup will have on him

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by Slash/ED
    I wonder will his career ever recover from the impact missing the US cup will have on him

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Originally posted by Slash/ED
    It's worse than that - the tournament has been cancelled.

Maybe if we win the world Cup in Germany in 2006 it will go someway to compensating the players for the disappointment but no probably not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by gspain
    It's worse than that - the tournament has been cancelled.

Maybe if we win the world Cup in Germany in 2006 it will go someway to compensating the players for the disappointment but no probably not.
    I hadn't heard that, so what are we doing this summer? I mean, what other tournament could turn Dominic Foley into an overnight superstar? US cup, you will be missed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts

Man U want Duff

Probably ******, given it's the Sun, but it's Duffer, so it's being posted anyway.

Alex Ferguson has reignited his desire to sign unsettled Chelsea midfielder Damien Duff, says The Sun. The Republic of Ireland star faces an even harder battle to become a first-team regular with the arrival of PSV Eindhoven winger Arjen Robben next season and could opt to join the Red Devils.

Duff is available for the £17m that Chelsea paid for him last summer with his wages set at a staggering £70,000-a-week.
    Linkey
    Last edited by John83; 23/03/2004 at 3:50 PM. Reason: Spelling

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83
    Probably ******, given it's the Sun, but it's Duffer, so it's being posted anyway.

Linkey

£70,000 a week thats more than I get (after tax ).

Anyone got a link for than? It sounds like bull to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour
    £70,000 a week thats more than I get (after tax ).

Anyone got a link for than? It sounds like bull to me.
    I saw a rebuttal from his agent, but that could mean anything. It was in the Sun, so I'd give it about as much credability as reports of Santa Claus poisoning Norwegian water supplies.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Well, if Duff is worried about losing his place to some 12 year old PSV kid,then the obvious thing to do is move to Man Utd and compete with Ryan Giggs.

Duff is clearly one of the top 3 players at Chelski and will not lose his place to Robben.

Having said that, Ranierei could lose his place to just about anyone, despite having a decent season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    the problem Ranieri faces is that Chelsea will have had more or less the same seasons last year and this year despite the injection of cash. i still think he's one of the best managers in the premiership, but even he seems to accept he's on his way out.

Duff to United, can't really see it happening, Robben is young and more importantly unproven in the Prem, no-one's going to let Duff go without seeing if Robben can do the job first (unless Sven Overrated Erikkson gets the post).

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tiktok
    the problem Ranieri faces is that Chelsea will have had more or less the same seasons last year .
    They're second in the League and in the semi finals of the Champs League.
    That's a bit different from last year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    only in the CL quarter finals so far

season's not over though...

could still end up trophyless and third in the league, only one place better than where they were last year despite Roman's coin.

I'm not knocking Ranieri, I actually think he's a great manager, and IMO they've made great strides since last season but my opinion isn't going to affect what Kenyon and Abrahmovich will do in June.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    To get to the semis, they only have to beat Arsenal. Simple!
    But they are challenging for the title. And thye've made improvements in Europe. I think they've done well.

Agree that Ranieri is gone anyway. On that basis, Duff should show no loyalty and should immediatly head for MUFC. Not that I'm biased in favour of United or anything.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    The sooner that Liverpool sort out this share issue between Steve Morgan & Thailands PM, the better. They're going to have a sh*it load of cash to spend in the summer and I'd love to see Duff at Anfield. Kewell, Duff & Cisse would be a fairly lethal combination next year. Throw in Van Der Vaart for good measure as well! And anyway, why should Duff go to Old Trafford when Ferguson didn't think he was good enough last year? He had the money but refused to pay. Plus United are in decline, something that a certain Harry Kewell predicted in the summer, and everyone laughed at him - They're not laughing now

Page 3 of 76 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast