Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 17 of 57 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Wes Hoolahan (M Cambridge Utd b.1982)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Should have continued his run outside Bennett there. Norwich looking very dangerous on the counter.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    I don't think they look dangerous on the counter at all. They look extremely tired. Holt tried a shot from thirty yards out because he couldn't keep running. When Hoolahan messed up that run, all three Norwich players that were up for the counter just stood there until finally Bennett started tracking back.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Its interesting what he is doing best related to how Trap wants his players to play. If he kept playing like this everytime he would be the ideal replacement for duff. Because his close control is so good that when he finds himself in a good place from a clearance he controls it, holds onto it, and makes the pass, relieving pressure on the backs and letting them pull the midfielders out of shape. Thats what Trap will be looking for most and he has done very well today. I hope his positional sense hasn't been down to luck and its good awareness.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanVsDalton View Post
    Should have continued his run outside Bennett there. Norwich looking very dangerous on the counter.
    No he shouldn't have if he kept outside he was pulling the players out wide and only holt was inside. Bennett had pulled the defenders out to him giving holohan space to run inside. It was very intelligent running from him. Its a pity Bennett didnt look up.

Just to add his support play on the counter has been very good. Holt should have chipped in that last one and setup holohan for a volley.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    I don't think they look dangerous on the counter at all. They look extremely tired. Holt tried a shot from thirty yards out because he couldn't keep running. When Hoolahan messed up that run, all three Norwich players that were up for the counter just stood there until finally Bennett started tracking back.
    They've been two-on-two or three-on-two three times now. That's dangerous, even if they've been been completely wasteful. It's not tiredness that caused Holt attempted a lame chip instead of smashing it or finding Hoolahan. Just poor decision making.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Holt, again with no pace or energy, messes up a breakaway. He needs to come off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    No he shouldn't have if he kept outside he was pulling the players out wide and only holt was inside. Bennett had pulled the defenders out to him giving holohan space to run inside. It was very intelligent running from him. Its a pity Bennett didnt look up.
    He ran into an area with at least two, I think three tracking Arsenal defenders. He also made the run at the exact moment a defender was closing Bennett down. It was a poorly timed decision and the wrong one. He keeps wide, he drags them out of position at least and gives Bennett something to run into if he keeps the ball.

Unfortunately Wes ran where there was zero space.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    Holt, again with no pace or energy, messes up a breakaway. He needs to come off.
    Player injury.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

9. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanVsDalton View Post
    He ran into an area with at least two, I think three tracking Arsenal defenders. He also made the run at the exact moment a defender was closing Bennett down. It was a poorly timed decision and the wrong one. He keeps wide, he drags them out of position at least and gives Bennett something to run into if he keeps the ball.

Unfortunately Wes ran where there was zero space.

We must be on about 2 different scenarios then, because the one i was watching he came behind him and run central, and the arsenal players had already ran out to meet bennett, giving holohan space and bringing him closer to holt to play a through ball to, had he ran outside he would have been isolated out on his own with 2 defenders on him and no chance of getting a good ball into Holt. It was the smarter run to make to keep the attacking move going, rather than just holding possession up.

Either way he is playing the exact sorta game a player Trap looks for in a midfielder.
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 20/10/2012 at 6:21 PM.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    We must be on about 2 different scenarios then, because the one i was watching he came behind him and run central, and the arsenal players had already ran out to meet bennett, giving holohan space and bringing him closer to holt to play a through ball to, had he ran outside he would have been isolated out on his own with 2 defenders on him and no chance of getting a good ball into Holt. It was the smarter run to make to keep the attacking move going, rather than just holding possession up.
    Will try and get a video of it and we'll chew over it but my take was he was running into an area which could be more easily defended.

Either way he is playing the exact sorta game a player Trap looks for in a midfielder.
    Totally agree. I'd be ambivalent about Hoolahan in the past but I think he's proved today he could fill a crucial need in Trap's system, and so warrants a call-up (notwithstanding he deserves one from being a Prem performer).

As you say he was in a side under the cosh, and proved to be their best out-ball and a key counter-attacker in a side which played direct football. He was also tenacious and worked tirelessly. There really wouldn't be much more he could do to prove his worth.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    ...and Pilkington would be a far far better option on the wing than Cox or Keogh
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    he's an attacking central midfielder as opposed to a winger, I think he played to his strengths coming central, and he is able hold onto the ball at speed in those central positions. I'd be more confident that he would make more of the ball there than out on the wing. It seems we are on about the same incident, I might be wrong in this instance, I was watching more than one thing during this match, but on his general play I think him coming central was the smarter decision and played more to his strengths.

Anyway trap has no excuse if he can perform like this against arsenal surely he can against our international opponents.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    he's an attacking central midfielder as opposed to a winger, I think he played to his strengths coming central, and he is able hold onto the ball at speed in those central positions. I'd be more confident that he would make more of the ball there than out on the wing. It seems we are on about the same incident, I might be wrong in this instance, I was watching more than one thing during this match, but on his general play I think him coming central was the smarter decision and played more to his strengths.

Anyway trap has no excuse if he can perform like this against arsenal surely he can against our international opponents.
    Again totally agree, I'd have him central every time - just in terms of that incident I'd have stuck with making the run wide, where there seemed to be more space.

On the basis of today he looks ideal to hold the ball up in the opposition's half, retain it, use it intelligently and launch attacks - a player we have a distinct need for. Might not work in a flat 442, but could play behind a central striker no problem. Moreover his energy and movement could be great to have as an option off the bench.

17. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    An ominous shake of the head from Trap when he got booked for kicking the ball in the net after he'd been flagged offside. I didn't see the whole game but he played well from what I saw - must have been wondering what he needed to do to get a pass on those counters.

On a side note, seeing Corry last night for Sheffield Wednesday and Hoolahan today, it's interesting that a lot of our most technical players were produced outside of England. Even Fahey, who was a product of an English academy, came back for a few years.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    I think Trap was disappointed in the ref not Hoolahan.

Hoolahan would allow Trap to keep his beloved 442 but with Hoolahan just ahead, and behind Long or Doyle I reckon. We'd need two direct wide players with pace, two of McClean, Coleman or maybe Pilkington who showed tonight he's worth a trybout in the friendliest. Pilkington and McClean look quite similar in style. I'm getting very frustrated with McGeady.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Yeah I was being facetious - Trap doesn't blame Hoolahan.

I think you're missing the point of the 442. Trap has been very clear on why he plays it - because he doesn't expect us to keep many clean sheets, so we need two strikers so we can score enough goals to get by. Would you trust Doyle to score goals as our only striker? The 442 exists because in Keane we have a striker who excels in international football. If he retired or was ushered out, it would negate the need (in Trap's mind) to play it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    I didn't see the game but glad the Trap was there to witness Wes putting in a good performance based on comments here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    He played well.

No doubt he was out to impress Trappatoni today.
    Yeah man, they call gambling a disease, but it's the only disease where you can win a bunch of money.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Yeah I was being facetious - Trap doesn't blame Hoolahan.

I think you're missing the point of the 442. Trap has been very clear on why he plays it - because he doesn't expect us to keep many clean sheets, so we need two strikers so we can score enough goals to get by. Would you trust Doyle to score goals as our only striker? The 442 exists because in Keane we have a striker who excels in international football. If he retired or was ushered out, it would negate the need (in Trap's mind) to play it.
    I don't think I am missing the point of Trap's 442. He has six defensive outfield players and relies on four others to be offensive. Up to now this has been two strikers, or even three with a third being played totally out of position. Now I don't think even Trap sees this as a runaway success, but he hasn't shown many signs of understanding the alternatives. I think Trap would me far more comfortable making a tweak in the direction of 4411 with Hoolahan doing just what he did tonight, recognising that a player like Hoolahan is better at covering back than a forward and would allow a bit more freedom for another midfielder to get forward.

I also think Trap likes to keep it tight and nick goals from set pieces

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Will be interesting to see if Hoolahan gets a call up for the next couple of friendlies, definitely seems Trap is interested in getting a look at him and this was shown back in August he called him up for the Serbia game however he pulled out due to injury, think he also called up Pilkington for that game too although I am not so sure about his commitment to Ireland to be honest.

Page 17 of 57 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast