Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 13 of 57 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Wes Hoolahan (M Cambridge Utd b.1982)

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Caldwell is a donkey alright, but it was a very skillful finish and he timed his arrival well. Didn't see much else of the game, how did he do?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Like Caldwell, I drifted in and out of consciousness, afaia both Hoolahan and McCarthy did very well.
    I'm biased (should go without saying) but I thought McCarthy actually looked a class player out there, he had personality.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Like Caldwell, I drifted in and out of consciousness, afaia both Hoolahan and McCarthy did very well.
    I'm biased (should go without saying) but I thought McCarthy actually looked a class player out there, he had personality.
    should have scored with a very Gerrard-esque break through in the second half too
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    852 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    should have scored with a very Gerrard-esque break through in the second half too
    He should but I thought having to take it on his left foot made this less likely, he didn't seem to hit it clean or with much confidence. I thought as well, just going by M.O.T.D. highlights and having had the game on in the background on the radio earlier, that McCarthy wasn't bossing the game in any way but that Hoolahan was causing his opponents more trouble, with some clever pass selection in the final third.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Obviously the radio commentary didn't do justice to McCarthy's game, he was central and looked very confident, always getting into position to receive the ball, shouting for the ball and directing the build up play.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Goal for Hoolahan against Arsenal, don't think he will get an easier goal than that. Hoolahan seems to be playing a central and advanced role for Norwich in a five man midfield.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Assist for Hoolahan to put Norwich 2-1 up. Norwich break from the back with Hoolahan receiving the ball in the midfield of the pitch. He makes a run deep into the Arsenal half and lays the ball off for Holt, who then chips in with an audacious goal.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts

Hoolahan for ireland - it's not too late

Quote Originally Posted by Carrigaline View Post
    Goal for Hoolahan against Arsenal, don't think he will get an easier goal than that. Hoolahan seems to be playing a central and advanced role for Norwich in a five man midfield.
    Goal for Hoolahan today and put Norwich's second on a plate for Holt. They're talking about Holt getting into the England team and many of his goals this season have come from Hoolahan's graft.

It's not too late for Trap to have a rethink (he won't we all know) but he is the best midfielder we have. And if you don't believe that then ask yourself who of Whelan, Andrews, Gibson could have done what he's done for Norwich today at Arsenal? None of them have the guile to do it. McCarthy maybe, but none of the above and yet all are considered before Hoolahan.

In the final analysis there's no substitution for quality and Hoolahan is the classiest Irish midfielder out there right now.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    It's not too late for Trap to have a rethink (he won't we all know) but he is the best midfielder we have.
    I think Irish fans are looking at Hoolahan all wrong. He is not an alternative to the likes of Andrews, Whelan, Fahey, etc. because you can't play him in a 4-man midfield. We should actually be looking as taking him as a second striker, which is the kind of position he seems to excel in for Norwich.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Wes nearly scores again
    Always look on the bright side of life

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrigaline View Post
    I think Irish fans are looking at Hoolahan all wrong. He is not an alternative to the likes of Andrews, Whelan, Fahey, etc. because you can't play him in a 4-man midfield. We should actually be looking as taking him as a second striker, which is the kind of position he seems to excel in for Norwich.
    Works for me. He's a fine footballer and one we cannot afford to leave home.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    subbed off for Pilkington
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Some stats here I was looking at.
    http://www.whoscored.com/Players/19541

Come out as Norwich's second best player and Ireland 2nd or 3rd

That's before his goal and an assist? today.

Lies, dammed lies, and statistics

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    Works for me. He's a fine footballer and one we cannot afford to leave home.
    I think that's a bit over-the-top. You give the impression he's an indispensable member of our squad. He has one senior cap from four years ago, and we've been able to afford his non-selection since,qualifying for the Euros in the process. Not necessarily saying he's not worthy of serious consideration, but the management have been keeping an eye on him and have expressly mentioned the possibility of another call-up during the next campaign. Obviously they don't feel he'd fit into the current system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    He has the best pass success rate of Irish players, Duff is second.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Obviously they don't feel he'd fit into the current system.
    That good old 'system' again. I keep hearing about the system. Not knocking Trap's achievements because he did get us to the Euros but let's not get carried away with this wonderful system. The first time we played a team of note, Russia, we were ate, beat and S***. The system didn't exist on those occassions.

Speaking clearly about Hoolahan and we need to be honest, but he's more capable than any of our midfielders, You can look it whatever way you want but none of Whelan, Andrews or Gibson could have done what he's done for Norwich this year. McCarthy has plenty of potential but even he is a bit behind Hoolahan's achievements this season. It's a moot point however because Trap will not break with tradition and bring him to Poland. But if we are found wanting in the middle of the park, remember the option to bring him was there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    He also has the highest number of assists, 7 tied with Kevin Doyle, they are also tied on goals scored 4 ad yellow cards 4.
    Actually I think Wes has 5 goals now, and 8 assists as I think his last match is not included.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Andrews could have easily fit the Hoolahan role at Norwich. He was banging them in left, right, and centre for Ipswich. And he's been impressive for WBA when given a chance.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaFox View Post
    Andrews could have easily fit the Hoolahan role at Norwich. .
    I will very respectfully disagree with you sir.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Hoolahan is class, I'm shocked it took him this long to get the premier. Even if Trap doesn't want to start him, how he wouldn't be handy to have on the bench is beyond me.

Page 13 of 57 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast