Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 43 of 57 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Thread: Wes Hoolahan (M Cambridge Utd b.1982)

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    contemporaries

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Feck. He wasn't a like for like replacement but he did more than his contemporaries did in traps system, he proactively tried to break down opposition attacks by harrying and chomping and trying to get tackles in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    For whatever qualities Green had, his inclusion in the team was somewhat disheartening. He became a symbol for Trapattoni's style of play, and lack of faith in the players at his disposal. Rather than seek to improve our style of play in the positive sense, Trapattoni became progressively more negative during his tenure in charge. Green's inclusion in the team exemplifies this. Our goals against record was not poor before Green's arrival on the scene, but our goals for record was. Green was brought in to make us more defensively sound, when the team was crying out for more creativity. I'd imagine that's why "most" had a problem with Green.
    His inclusion was no more disheartening than what was already there though, and I agree with Paul that he was a different and arguably more effective type of player than the alternatives. I think he was a default reference point for people who liked to have a go at the Irish team, mainly because he came from relative obscurity, his club status and probably even his general appearance. Anybody who actually took notice of him in the games he played for us could hardly have had many complaints. I think Andy Reid & co. being left out is a slightly separate matter, if that's what you're referring to, as very few managers would trust him as part of a two man midfield anyway. If the likes of Reid or even Hoolahan were to be accommodated, it wasn't likely to be at Green's expense anyway.

What I remember finding disheartening was Whelan falling straight back into the side instead of Green, just days after he played an important part in one of our much better midfield performances in Stockholm.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 02/10/2015 at 11:40 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Most could see he was below the standard required. He struggled to pass the ball, let alone control it. Green broke up weak play by the opposition but added zero creativity to our play. His inclusion in the team actually hampered our ability to be creative.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    What I remember finding disheartening was Whelan in the side .

Wait? He still is? Aaaarrrggghhhh!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    Most could see he was below the standard required. He struggled to pass the ball, let alone control it. Green broke up weak play by the opposition but added zero creativity to our play. His inclusion in the team actually hampered our ability to be creative.
    Around the time he was used, any creativity we had came from our wingers anyway, with or without Green in the side. We had some of our better midfield performances (post Stephen Reid) with Green in the team, most notably the trips to Armenia and Sweden. Blaming him for our lack of creativity is baffling given how little Whelan, etc. offered in that department.

I agree he's below the 'ideal' standard required.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yard of Pace View Post
    What I remember finding disheartening was Whelan in the side .

Wait? He still is? Aaaarrrggghhhh!!
    I think he's lived a charmed life myself but I do think he's had a couple of really good performances this year, particularly against Poland and Georgia.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Around the time he was used, any creativity we had came from our wingers anyway, with or without Green in the side. We had some of our better midfield performances (post Stephen Reid) with Green in the team, most notably the trips to Armenia and Sweden. Blaming him for our lack of creativity is baffling given how little Whelan, etc. offered in that department.

I agree he's below the 'ideal' standard required.
    I'm not blaming Green for our lack of creativity, merely remarking his inclusion in the side did not help the team's creativity. He said himself the following:

"Obviously with Trapattoni giving me my chance, I’m very grateful,” he said. “It was a bit more of a sitting role under himself.
    The way Martin wants you to play now, it’s high tempo, breaking things up in their third. We are really pressing as a team now and it would be great for me to do that.
    http://www.the42.ie/ireland-italy-cr...99882-Jun2014/

The central midfield partnership were asked to sit in position by Trapattoni. Trapattoni did not encourage the chosen partnership to be "playmakers". That's why Green's inclusion in the team was disheartening. Trapattoni desired to limit the creativity of our central midfielders and playing Green ensured that because his ability on the ball was not the best.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Fair enough... that was just par for the course under Trap though, not really a stick for so many to beat Green with, but I know what you're saying.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Ya and that was actually my point that was traps horrible system supposedly but yet green actually didn't do that so it was good and/or surprising that he was picked and therefore strange that people used it as a further stick to beat trap with when they all knew the type of system trap played and told those in it to sit deep. It also sort of went against what the pro trap argument was and defending players like whelan and Gibson etc from the usual suspects (recently popped up under DG case in point)because it nullified their points completely as when a player who can play it does it rather effectively.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Great little piece and interview with Wessi on Super Saturday. Stelling said he was one of his 'favourist players' although I suspect I missed a not so private joke. He also called him Hot Lips Hoolahan! Paul Merson made a good point in criticising Norwich for taking him off when they're winning as that's the time a game becomes stretched and he could pick a pass to finish the game. Phil Thompson concurred.

12. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Feck. He wasn't a like for like replacement but he did more than his contemporaries did in traps system, he proactively tried to break down opposition attacks by harrying and chomping and trying to get tackles in.
    Thing was that wasn't Green's natural game, but he did it brilliantly. One of Trap's better judgements seeing he could do that job, even if the system he was working in was regressive.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,326 Posts
    Hoolahan's Short Turnaround - the last time Wes Hoolahan played two games in a such a short period: http://irish-abroad.appspot.com/Blog...00050165686179
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    I just can't help thinking that he'll be central to our prospects for qualification.
    His fearlessness in possession reminds me of duffer in his pomp,taking the ball out of our box at his feet and winning a free/setting up a chance and hopefully this permeates his teamates minds to give them the confidence to play likewise.without fear.i think the key to winning against bosnia will be possession,if they have enough ball they'll eventually get quality to dzeko,but if we're brave and we starve them possession and make them chase it and foul us...then we'll win.i would love to see Wes at a major championship where a little streak of quality and form in a two week window gets you to a quarter/semi final.i just hope o'neill is brave enough to trust him to go for it.i'd love to see a diamond of mccarthy, with hendrick and coleman wide (christie at right back) and wes at the apex.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Don't get a chance these days to watch much football, but watched him against WBA at the weekend. I know I am repeating what has been said before, but Hoolahan continues to be so creative and brings other players into the game. Brady a the weekend was able to get forward a lot and dispatch crosses as Hoolahan draws him into the game with deft touches and passes. Pity he is getting on and has been previously mentioned he is integral to our success in the play offs. It was good to read that Carsley thinks Judge is the young Wessi, he will be hard to replace when he retires. So good is Hoolahan to watch that if Norwich are playing I will find the time to view the game!
    Last edited by gastric; 26/10/2015 at 12:10 AM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Hoolahan's Short Turnaround - the last time Wes Hoolahan played two games in a such a short period: http://irish-abroad.appspot.com/Blog...00050165686179
    i've been thinking about this. do we expect wes to play both legs of the playoff? that's 2 pressure games in 4 days with a reasonable amount of travel in between. he'll likely have played for norwich on the 7th aswell.

and if we can reasonably only play him in one, then which?

my guess is he won't start in bosnia (cue 'dunphy on the warpath') - maybe come on with 20 to go. then start in dublin.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,100 Posts
    Yeah, that's what I reckon too. O'Neill has been adverse, in the past, to playing Hoolahan in away fixtures. With what happened with Poland, I think O'Neill will take the opportunity to rest him for the home leg and maybe bring him on late enough in the second half of the away one.

I'd say we'll be playing for a draw away and hope to nick it at home.

Nice to see someone like McClean playing regularly and well. His stamina will be invaluable for the two legs. Walters would have been another but is suspended. Hopefully Long is recovered from injury too.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Wes is good but he's no Richie Towell. Richie wouldn't be grumbling about playing two games in a few days.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    "You don't feel tired when you're winning, Bill. Don Revie used to say to us when I was at Leeds that etc. etc."

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yard of Pace View Post
    "You don't feel tired when you're winning, Bill. Don Revie used to say to us when I was at Leeds that etc. etc."
    Billy Bremner etc etc
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Page 43 of 57 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast