Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 57 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: Wes Hoolahan (M Cambridge Utd b.1982)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by reder View Post
    As I said before, I only pass comments on games at which I was present when wanting to compare the levels of football. Luckily, I was at the 2nd CL semi at Anfield and have attended every liverpool v Chelsea game at Anfield for many years, so I am in a position to pass comment.

Thankfully, Cymro has hit the nail on the head 100%. Putting aside the level of tension involved in a fixture like a CL semi 2nd leg completely, a game of that magnitude between Chelsea and Liverpool is exactly like a game of chess.

There was absolutely no option to pass through midfield for the duration of that game. Both sides are top class defensively, so both managers had no other option but to direct their players to by-pass midfield and target their respective beanpole centre forwards.
    This is were you lose me...both sides were in such tactical straitjackets that when plan a didnt work they had no plan b. neither coach having any faith in the ability of any of their players as individuals. as well as that some of the passing,crossing, attempts to beat players and attempts at goal were downright rubbish. the basic football ability on show was poor.I would say if any two sides would put me off watching football for life its chelsea and liverpool. I was just making a point about the double standards. watch a bad eircom league game and its cause the league is rubbish watch a bad premiership game(bout 80% of them btw) and it was just a bad game or laughably as above a great tactical battle.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Billsthoughts View Post
    This is were you lose me...both sides were in such tactical straitjackets that when plan a didnt work they had no plan b. neither coach having any faith in the ability of any of their players as individuals. as well as that some of the passing,crossing, attempts to beat players and attempts at goal were downright rubbish. the basic football ability on show was poor.I would say if any two sides would put me off watching football for life its chelsea and liverpool. I was just making a point about the double standards. watch a bad eircom league game and its cause the league is rubbish watch a bad premiership game(bout 80% of them btw) and it was just a bad game or laughably as above a great tactical battle.
    I didn't say the eircom league was crap, and neither did reder. Of course, if you want to view League One as 'crap', maybe you might have interpreted that from reder's post.

Either way I was commenting on the Chelsea v Liverpool match. Have to admit it was poor but only because both teams did such a good job of stifling each other.

So the point I am making is that two teams (team A and team B) can serve up utter tedium one week while two other teams (team C and team D) can play free-flowing attacking stuff, yet put team A against team C and team B against team D and the previous games could well have no bearing whatsoever on the outcome of those later games.
    "Life is like a hair on a toilet seat. Sooner or later you are bound to get pi$$ed off."

"In this league, a draw is sometimes as good as a win" - Steve Morison

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    you're on to something there cymro!

although even with that knowledge you'd easily replace stan.
    Your Chairperson,
    Gavin
    Membership Advisory Board
    "Ex Bardus , Vicis"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GavinZac View Post
    you're on to something there cymro!

although even with that knowledge you'd easily replace stan.
    My managerial knowledge goes even further than that, believe it or not.

Few can match my brilliant records on Football Manager 2006. (ok I gave my team a £200m transfer budget but seriously why have an editor if you're not going to have some fun with it!)
    "Life is like a hair on a toilet seat. Sooner or later you are bound to get pi$$ed off."

"In this league, a draw is sometimes as good as a win" - Steve Morison

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    back onto wes... played against on a number of occasions when he was a 15,16,17 year old when he was still playing schoolboy football for Belvedere.
    Without doubt the best player ive ever played against.he was man marked in every game we played against and got kicked up and down the pitch and still got up and tried to nut meg the defenders!great low centre of gravity,suprising strenght and a dream of a dribbler.
    apparently wouldnt go to England as a kid bcoz he didnt want to leave dublin so young.went to $helbourne and i think he always knew if he was good enough he'd get a move to the UK.
    if he wasnt involved in the play offs would he have went to the States??
    Id say so...
    "if I close my eyes, its not illegal...."

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Watched him in the semis and finals and agree that he looks the business. Similar to the rise of Hunt, I can't see no reason why he couldn't cut it in the Premier. Know what you mean about his tricks and low centre of gravity - cuts inside and plays good balls down the channels as well. Read reports about lack of pace and size, but neither seemed to hamper Beckham or Maradona (obviously not creating a direct comparison). Could be a good option for us on the left with duff & reid being so injury prone. Read that McCarthy is after him - hope to God we get him - would love to see him on the left for us. Sack being loyal to Blackpool - if he's made the move to the UK, he should go for it - unless of course a top flight club comes in for him.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Andy Reid was a class act in the lower divisions. He was head and shoulders above everyone else but he found (not helped by injuries) the step up to the Premiership difficult. Thus, while hoping Wes has the ability, I wouldn't be too confident as yet.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Know what you're saying - but think it was more the step up in commitment than ability which was the problem with Reid. With his vision there is no reason why he shouldn't be playing at the top level (especially if Pennant is) - just fear that he is his own worst enemy.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    reid looked really good for charlton until he got injured this season owlsfan. les reed was playing the team around him and said as much.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    reid looked really good for charlton until he got injured this season owlsfan. les reed was playing the team around him and said as much.
    Agree but he was the only manager more inept than Stan!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Hoolahan was included in a senior Irish squad before - Don Givens' match in charge against the Greeks a few years back. I remember Givens saying that Hoolahan was one of the most technically-gifted players he had ever come across but I suppose comments like that fall on deaf ears when you're plying your trade in the LOI.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by reder View Post
    I have only attended one EL game this season thus far (Cork City V Shamrock Rovers) but have to be honest and say that Blackpool v Yeovil game was a tad better in terms of football for me. Neither Blackpool or Yeovil would look out of place in the Championship but the EL game I saw was most definitely League One level.
    Fair enough point. Rover - City game was terrible match & not just because we lost.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Fair enough point. Rover - City game was terrible match & not just because we lost.
    He's talking about the 0-0 draw, at the cross.
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    This was just posted on our forum by a Blackpool fan

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/ne...icleid=2918286

Who Cares?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Raheny Red View Post

oh dear.
    Your Chairperson,
    Gavin
    Membership Advisory Board
    "Ex Bardus , Vicis"

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    is he a bit of a fairy? i wonder how many people knew he possessed these skills....
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Why did Livinston let him go on loan?
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    They were relegated, and whatever about what standard the Eircom League is at, he would have been far too good in the Scots first division

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally Posted by Raheny Red

That's classic stuff... I can see a new goal celebration next season

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    From eleven-a-side.com:
    Livingston veto Hoolahan Blackpool deal

Scottish side Livingston have vetoed the proposed move of former Ireland under-21 international Wes Hoolahan to Blackpool because the Seasiders failed to comply with the terms of the loan agreement during the season.

Hoolahan, who helped ‘Pool to promotion to the Coca-Cola Championship, agreed a two-year deal at Bloomfield Road at the weekend after the club triggered a purchase clause in the loan agreement.

However, Livi are adamant that the agreement is void after the English outfit missed several deadlines for payments during the season.

A Livingston statement read: "Livingston notified Blackpool at the end of the season that as the club had repeatedly breached the terms of the loan agreement, namely in the payment of sums due to Livingston, that an option to sign the player permanently has therefore been lost to them.

"This follows repeated late payments of loan sums due throughout the period of the loan, 9 out of 10 of which were paid late despite our repeated efforts to ensure prompt payment within the original terms of the loan deal.

"We could have recalled the player to Livingston on these grounds during last season, but to do so would have meant he had no right to play for Blackpool or Livingston, because a recall would probably have taken place outside the transfer window. Blackpool were therefore informed about their breach of conditions formally at the end of the season, although their accounts department will have known for many months that their payments were late, in some cases way beyond the terms of the deal.

"Our new manager, Mark Proctor, wishes to consider Wes Hoolahan’s position meanwhile, but it is quite clear that the player remains with Livingston until and unless a settlement is reached. Wes had a successful year with Blackpool, helping them win promotion, but the club have only themselves to blame for the situation that has arisen.

"The situation is now being dealt with by the clubs as well as the Scottish Football Association and the Football Association in England.”

Page 5 of 57 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast