Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 57 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Wes Hoolahan (M Cambridge Utd b.1982)

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Not surprised to read that but in european games our top teams can give a very tough game. I think he was commenting more on the overall standard of play & facilities which would clearly be much higher.

BTW most people were very surprised with his Livingston move & he is much too good for League One.
    I know they can, but they can also lose badly. Besides there is a big difference betwen cup football and league football. I remember seeing Cork City give Bayern a tough game back in the early 90's but I don't think they would survive in the Bundesliga then or now

The eL is improving and I think it's great, if the kids can be converted and stop thinking England is the beallandendall of football that would be a great thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Red4Eva View Post
    some of his passing was just amazing today. if parker was on his wavelength they might have got a few more. definitely good enough to play for a good championship side
    He had a fantastic game today, best player on the pitch. Is he likely to stay with Blackpool or where does his future lie?
    BTW, commentary for the first goal- 'Robbie Williams! Let me entertain you!' Oh dear...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    always loved to watch him play...happy for him today...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    how good was weso today? cant see him being at blackpool for much longer tbh, as was said if he'd been paitent he probable could already be at a championship side, espically given shels collapse
    arent we all just magic little monkeys...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    I read an article on Ciaran Martyn who is on loan to a team in Norway, he says the standard of play there is far higher then the eL.
    As borne out by the UEFA rankings. Not sure anyone here has ever claimed anything different

Doesn't matter to me how good/bad the league is compared to others. Its the ONLY league that metters to me.

Good Luck to Hoolahan.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Just to match the other Wes Hoolahan thread just started . Perhaps they can be merged?
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    YOU know a player is a bit special when his team-mates can't stop talking about him.

And Wes Hoolahan has been the name on everyone's lips this season.
    He's the man all the Seasiders players talk about, mainly because you can give the winger the ball in just about any situation and he's almost guaranteed to retain possession.

But Shaun Barker has gone one step further and has hailed Hoolahan as the best he's ever played with.
    "If you go and watch him in training he is just unbelievable," said Barker. "He's without doubt the most talented player I have ever had the pleasure to play with.

"The one thing he does lack is that little bit of pace. If he had that extra bit of pace he could be playing at a much higher level at a much bigger club.

"But his skill, his ability and technique ... everything about him is fantastic.
    "He can go as far as he wants to and fingers crossed that he does.
    "All the boys want him to stay at Blackpool but that's a big decision that he has got to make."
    Contract talks with Hoolahan have stepped up a gear this week.
    His agent – his brother – has held discussions with Karl Oyston and the club is expected to make an announcement, one way or the other, next week.
    http://www.blackpooltoday.co.uk/spor...icleid=2905787

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Was at the game on Sunday.
    Saw all his off the ball runs, which TV would have missed.
    Keigan Parker failed to spot him on a number of occasions, where he was in a great position.
    He got forward at every chance, tracked back well and made some very important tackles. The standing ovation would have been noticed on TV, but the comments from the fans around me, show that he's incredibly highly rated, at Blackpool.
    I think he should reward the faith of Simon Grayson and spend at least one more season with the Seasiders. Ideally, he'd sign the 3 year deal that he was offered months ago.
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    He actually reminded me of Shaun Maloney on Sunday. He'll take a player on if needs be but first priority is to play the pass. Intelligent player.

reder
    I watched the game and didnt realise that Hoolahan was an ex-EL player. I was impressed with him, he has good vision and passing. What age is he? He did seem small in stature alright and The Championship is a very physical league and obviously the standard of football is higher than league 1 so he will take time to adjust to that. Given time he could most definitely play for a team in the middle tier of the PL.

I have only attended one EL game this season thus far (Cork City V Shamrock Rovers) but have to be honest and say that Blackpool v Yeovil game was a tad better in terms of football for me. Neither Blackpool or Yeovil would look out of place in the Championship but the EL game I saw was most definitely League One level.

(Before anyone attacks, I can only compare the games I have seen live. I have watched other EL games on tele but I tend only to use games I watch live when comparing leagues. I plan on seeing a few more EL games when I move back to Dublin next month, so I should be able to get a better picture of the standard of football here when I do so.)
    Last edited by reder; 29/05/2007 at 4:52 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by reder View Post
    I have only attended one EL game this season thus far (Cork City V Shamrock Rovers) but have to be honest and say that Blackpool v Yeovil game was a tad better in terms of football for me. Neither Blackpool or Yeovil would look out of place in the Championship but the EL game I saw was most definitely League One level
    I only watched one champions league game myself (Chelsea v Liverpool)but have to be honest and say the Blackpool v Yeovil game was a tad better in terms of football for me.Neither Blackpool or Yeovil would look out of place in the Championship but the Champions League game I saw was most definitely League One level.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I've been to countless Blackpool games and this is the first season that they've played good football, consitently. What was the consequence? They got promoted! I've seen so many bad games, I'd lost belief that Blackpool would ever get promoted.
    Having watched Man U v Chelsea, in the FA Cup Final, I have to say, the game on Sunday was 10 times better.
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    I have only attended one EL game this season thus far (Cork City V Shamrock Rovers) but have to be honest and say that Blackpool v Yeovil game was a tad better in terms of football for me. Neither Blackpool or Yeovil would look out of place in the Championship but the EL game I saw was most definitely League One level.
    Two different types of games - one is a league match where one team is content is sit back and hold out for a draw, the second is a cup match where the incentive to win is huge for both teams.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    Two different types of games - one is a league match where one team is content is sit back and hold out for a draw, the second is a cup match where the incentive to win is huge for both teams.

yeh....but the likelihood is that the standard and quality of the play is going to be of a lower standard in the cup game where the stakes are so high where expectation and pressure is raised beyond belief.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Billsthoughts View Post
    I only watched one champions league game myself (Chelsea v Liverpool)but have to be honest and say the Blackpool v Yeovil game was a tad better in terms of football for me.Neither Blackpool or Yeovil would look out of place in the Championship but the Champions League game I saw was most definitely League One level.
    Chelsea v Liverpool was a lot better than League One standard. It was also a lot more dull than your average League One game, but the standard was much higher.

The standard of defending was incredibly high as it usually is in those games. That's why they are generally dull and appear, to the untrained eye, a much lower standard. They aren't-both teams are just cancelling each other out.
    "Life is like a hair on a toilet seat. Sooner or later you are bound to get pi$$ed off."

"In this league, a draw is sometimes as good as a win" - Steve Morison

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cymro View Post
    Chelsea v Liverpool was a lot better than League One standard. It was also a lot more dull than your average League One game, but the standard was much higher.

The standard of defending was incredibly high as it usually is in those games. That's why they are generally dull and appear, to the untrained eye, a much lower standard. They aren't-both teams are just cancelling each other out.
    I don't agree, I watched a Milan Derby (also a CL semi I think) from a few years back and it was a 0-0 and one of the best games I have ever seen, proper defending by 2 top class teams.
    Liverpool & Chelsea just spent 90 minutes hoofing the ball to their respective donkey centre forwards. I don't doubt there are talented players in both sides but that game in particular did nothing to showcase them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by endabob1 View Post
    I don't agree, I watched a Milan Derby (also a CL semi I think) from a few years back and it was a 0-0 and one of the best games I have ever seen, proper defending by 2 top class teams.
    Liverpool & Chelsea just spent 90 minutes hoofing the ball to their respective donkey centre forwards. I don't doubt there are talented players in both sides but that game in particular did nothing to showcase them.
    The reason they were hoofing the ball to their respective donkey centre forwards was because their other attacking players were being marked out of the game.

Whereas with Crouch/Drogba it's a bit hard to mark them, since they're beanpoles who can beat everyone else in the air without even jumping.
    "Life is like a hair on a toilet seat. Sooner or later you are bound to get pi$$ed off."

"In this league, a draw is sometimes as good as a win" - Steve Morison

reder
    Quote Originally Posted by Cymro View Post
    The reason they were hoofing the ball to their respective donkey centre forwards was because their other attacking players were being marked out of the game.

Whereas with Crouch/Drogba it's a bit hard to mark them, since they're beanpoles who can beat everyone else in the air without even jumping.
    As I said before, I only pass comments on games at which I was present when wanting to compare the levels of football. Luckily, I was at the 2nd CL semi at Anfield and have attended every liverpool v Chelsea game at Anfield for many years, so I am in a position to pass comment.

Thankfully, Cymro has hit the nail on the head 100%. Putting aside the level of tension involved in a fixture like a CL semi 2nd leg completely, a game of that magnitude between Chelsea and Liverpool is exactly like a game of chess.

There was absolutely no option to pass through midfield for the duration of that game. Both sides are top class defensively, so both managers had no other option but to direct their players to by-pass midfield and target their respective beanpole centre forwards.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    There was absolutely no option to pass through midfield for the duration of that game. Both sides are top class defensively, so both managers had no other option but to direct their players to by-pass midfield and target their respective beanpole centre forwards.
    i think i've heard that one after a UCD-Longford game too.
    Your Chairperson,
    Gavin
    Membership Advisory Board
    "Ex Bardus , Vicis"

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GavinZac View Post
    i think i've heard that one after a UCD-Longford game too.
    Yeah that was a 0-0 borefest earlier in the season.

Page 4 of 57 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast