Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 14 of 57 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Wes Hoolahan (M Cambridge Utd b.1982)

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    I've been really impressed by Hoolahan and the step up he's made to premiership level but not bringing him to the Euro's or playing him in the qualifiers is hardly an injustice. It's Trap's system that creates our competitive advantage against teams that may be able to call on a higher calibre of player. Were Trap to pick the form 11 for the Euro's and play Hoolahan off Robbie up front, or in the middle of the park beside James McCarthy or Gibson then he'd be up against players like Iniesta, Pirlo and Xavi. Realistically, Hoolahan isn't at the same level as these players. Sticking to our current, tried and tested set-up and using our core rigidities are Trap's methods, and qualification to the Euro's stands to justify those methods.

I wouldn't be critical of Trap leaving someone like Hoolahan out. The only alterations I'd like to see wouldn't be from a tactical perspective, but from a personnel perspective. I think Trap could keep the same shape but ensure that McClean is in the squad, and maybe consider Gibson or McCarthy in the middle of the park. Maybe also have a look at Walters up front, and perhaps Dunne and O'Shea at centre-half.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevo Da Gull View Post
    Hoolahan is class, I'm shocked it took him this long to get the premier. Even if Trap doesn't want to start him, how he wouldn't be handy to have on the bench is beyond me.
    Well its certainly beyond me how having someone who doesn't fit into a 4-4-2 is of any benefit on the bench. Trap has a system, Hoolahan doesn't fit into it, it really doesn't matter what his form is like.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    I'd like to think "the system" could be adapted to some extent. By all means keep Whelan sitting deep and Andrews as the destructive-yet-mobile midfielder, but there could still be room for a talented player who can muck in when necessary but also carry the ball well or pass to the wide and forward players. By retaining possession better the system could even be enhanced. Will we really be playing 2 up front against Spain? In reality we'll be playing 6 in midfield for most of that game (all 3 games probably).

I haven't seen any of the Arsenal game yet but the radio commentray seemed to mention Hoolahan a lot. I think both Wigan and Norwich have shown that sitting deep but also being aggressive on the counter can reap rewards against possession dominating teams. I know we tend to get goals when they matter but I think our counter-attacking play is poor, possission breaking down too easily.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Wigan and Norwich are both also sides that are very comfortable in possession of the football and can dominate the ball themselves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Murfinator View Post
    Well its certainly beyond me how having someone who doesn't fit into a 4-4-2 is of any benefit on the bench. Trap has a system, Hoolahan doesn't fit into it, it really doesn't matter what his form is like.
    Well it's irrelevant now, but do you not think if we were a couple of goals down and running out of time in a game that we had to get a result out of to stay in the competition that even Trap would give players a bit more freedom to attack.. or possibly even change his formation?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    His faith in the system (and the players employed within it that he has come to trust) is possibly "stubborn" enough to believe it will never come to that. It appears to be a risk he's willing to take and I suppose only time till provide the answer.

Besides, when it really came down to absolutely needing to score, the team he sent out in Paris was able to go on the front-foot and do so. Similarly, when we found ourselves 3-0 down at home to Russia, we nearly staged an impressive comeback. As it happened, it was too little, too late, but had we a few minutes longer in that game, we might well have managed an equaliser.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Had we taken our gilt edged chances in that game we wouldn't have needed an equaliser.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Post Wes Hoolahan Sidelined

The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    What does he say?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Not doubting that Hoolahan has had a good season. But can people answer me this, why does Lambert choose to generally leave him out of the starting XI when they play away from home??

That is telling. Especially as Norwich tactics away from home (i.e. dont lose) is probably the mindset in which Trap has and will continue to instil in his players.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    Not doubting that Hoolahan has had a good season. But can people answer me this, why does Lambert choose to generally leave him out of the starting XI when they play away from home??
    actually he's started the same number of games home and away, 14 each
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

12. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Its 5 minutes of traps broken English - You'd need to watch it really

Summary,

We've watched (inferrring continue to watch) Hoolahan. Hes a good player.
    Hes - 28, implying he's not a youngster breaking through.
    It was too late to change the system. We have McCarthy, Maybe Ireland
    The system is our strength. Strong wingers, strong centre.
    He doesnt think (or is not sure) we can play with one up front. Or cannot justify changing the two strikers in the 4-4-2.
    No friendlies to try him/change of system out.

Im not sure whether that means he will try him out for WC14 campaign/friendlies or not really but he and Tardelli it would appear have discussed it on many occasions.

Anyone else want to add what I missed - I wouldnt like to be a journa summarising that!!!
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior View Post
    Anyone else want to add what I missed - I wouldnt like to be a journa summarising that!!!

Thats about the size of it .... boring, defensive system, its all he knows, thats our lot
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    I wonder was Wes ever in contention? A good game against Arsenal by the looks of things. It would have meant a change of system to accommodate him so I suspect he wasn't but it does seem such a shame that an obviously gifted player wasn't even considered. However, with Trap the system is all and since it has got us this far, who am I to complain?
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    actually he's started the same number of games home and away, 14 each

Fair enough, didnt do my research beforehand. To me, had noticed he been omitted from the starting 11 more times away from home than the other way round. Although Lambert does like to change his XI, for example, holt and morrison and regularly changed round.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior View Post
    We've watched (inferrring continue to watch) Hoolahan. Hes a good player.
    Hes - 28, implying he's not a youngster breaking through.
    He actually says Holenan is a great player who is 28, 29 and 30 all at once. :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Oh...and he mentions Stephen Ireland 3 times. Why he feels the need to do this is beyond me.

Its actually quite embarrassing/frustrating to watch him...I would prefer to cut of my ears than to have to sit in on one of these press conferences.

You would get more insight into football listening to George Hook talk about the game.
    “I’d always play Pirlo but Trapatoni says his first concern is to avoid losing goals. The truth is that we didn’t know what we were doing out there" Gennaro Gattuso, June 2004.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    What exactly is the point of this thread? I don't see how Trap said anything there we didn't know already.

20. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevo Da Gull View Post
    Well it's irrelevant now, but do you not think if we were a couple of goals down and running out of time in a game that we had to get a result out of to stay in the competition that even Trap would give players a bit more freedom to attack.. or possibly even change his formation?
    Personally I think that'd be a really bad time to bring on a creative pass master like Hoolahan. If you're behind and the opposition are backs against the wall defending, the channels are closed and breaking them down is nigh on impossible. In that situation the best route to goal is through set pieces and physicality through a target man in a crowded box. Best bench impact trio we could probably have are Harte, Delap and Walters. Not pretty but using free kicks, throw ins and aerial prowess as a weapon is exactly what you need in that situation.
    I'm personally a big fan of the type of player Wes, Andy Reid and Stephen Ireland are but I don't think we could accommodate them in a 4-5-1 because we don't really have a suitable lone striker, it would also mean dropping Keane. The best compromise is 4-4-2 with Keane dropping deep.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Rory Delap hasn't been a set piece weapon for a couple of years now. I think the last goal Stoke scored from it was like a year and a half ago.

Page 14 of 57 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast