Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Roche criticises Thomas Davis letter

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    What Brennan actually said was they wanted the Govt to build a 20,000 stadium at Abbotstown and allow the GAA to run it. Said they need it it for club, college, schools games as well as "commuter counties" like Laois, Kildare etc. Said something along the lines of "Obviously it makes sense for us to allow other sports be played there from time to time" but he gave the definite impression it was to be a GAA ground first and foremost
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry The Saint View Post
    The Croke Park example may be slightly misleading though as that is quite a large GAA pitch. Minimum adult pitch size is 130m x 80m
    Thomas Davis want 140 x 85 in Tallaght. That's a massive 160 x 93 when run-off on the sidelines and behind the posts is included.

Would anybody want to watch a soccer match from behind the goal, when the goal is about 30 metres away???

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    What Brennan actually said was they wanted the Govt to build a 20,000 stadium at Abbotstown and allow the GAA to run it
    Yep - that's another stadium they want to annex. Their astonishing arrogance clearly knows no bounds.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    424 Posts
    Read about the Abbotstown plans too, meant to mention it here and totally forgot.

GAA seemed adamant that it would be their stadium and new home base for Dublin county board.

Suggested that other codes might be accomodate if they asked very, very, very, lick those boots, nicely.

It's a faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar ce!!

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    20,000 seater stadium is a good idea (ideal size for FAI cup finals for example). Should be open to all sports, but under no circumstances should the GAA be allowed to run it.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I am open to correction but I think the GAA got 29,000 at Croke Park for last weekends Football League Final. They got 21,000 for double header hurling semi final at Limerick or Thurles. How many 20,000 crowd games do they think they will get? Have Dublin GAA ever filled Parnell Park?

http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Lads:

http://www.anfearrua.com/db.asp?a=to...326372&xpos=50

This is a right read - ignorant GAH muckswimmers branding all Ultras as "Hooligans" and the reason why no-one wants to go to eL matches.

I can understand loyalists dressed in orange, but loyalists dressed in green are beyond contempt.
    Bohs were set up by the British Army afaik. Open to correction on this but I think they were initially set up as a hobby for the occupying forces at the turn of the century.
    hooligans taking the high road, priceless
    But yea, keep kidding yourself that they've no use for it. Just like it'd be "useless" for soccer if it was extended. You just don't want to share, admit it, it's obvious.
    Kom Igen, FCK...

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I voted NO and I maintain that none of the Eircom League of Ireland fans based in the greater Dublin area who voted NO, should attend any games under the auspices of either the Dublin County Board, or the GAA itself from now on until they back off over Tallaght Stadium.

In other words No soccer fans in Croker for GAA matches this summer....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    I love the hooligans thing. Last weekend a GAA game was abandoned after a massive free for all involving players and spectators in Tyrone. In Derry a referee was manhandled and the visiting team locked in their dressingroom for 50 minutes after the game for their own safety.

They do however do a good job of covering things up and watering them down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    I am open to correction but I think the GAA got 29,000 at Croke Park for last weekends Football League Final. They got 21,000 for double header hurling semi final at Limerick or Thurles. Have Dublin GAA ever filled Parnell Park?
    Was in Thurles

How often does the Eircom League get 20000+ for anything, let alone fairly meaningless games??

Being flippant about their support when it dwarfs our leagues is a bit silly really

How many 20,000 crowd games do they think they will get?
    Dozens during the summer in all fairness

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post
    How often does the Eircom League get 20000+ for anything, let alone fairly meaningless games??
    Being flippant about their support when it dwarfs our leagues is a bit silly really
    The GAA stadium request has nothing to do with the LOI attendances unless Shamrock Rovers were looking for 15-20k all seater stadium i.e. no demand for that size stadium. If they are getting for 21k for semi final with 4 teams I don't think it takes a genius to figure out won't get 20k for a single league game.

On a related point what games would the GAA play in a 6000 capacity stadium in Tallaght? Surely it is too small for Dublin league games? How many games would TD have thousands at? Why would you rent a municipal stadium when your own ground has adequate capacity?

http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I am open to correction but I think the GAA got 29,000 at Croke Park for last weekends Football League Final.
    24,000 for the Semi-finals.

They got 21,000 for double header hurling semi final at Limerick or Thurles.
    Thurles

How many 20,000 crowd games do they think they will get?
    Plenty.

Have Dublin GAA ever filled Parnell Park?
    Loads of times (incl. for hurling).

Hope this helps!
    SIGNATURESCOPE

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    On a related point what games would the GAA play in a 6000 capacity stadium in Tallaght? Surely it is too small for Dublin league games? How many games would TD have thousands at? Why would you rent a municipal stadium when your own ground has adequate capacity?
    I have no idea either regarding which GAA games could/would/should be logically staged there. But I'd bet every last cent that I have, that if Thomas Davis were to get their way, they would be trying to stage at least one match (however meaningless) there every week in order to get more GAA than soccer played there. It's all about petty jealousy, fear and spite - and NOTHING else.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    The GAA stadium request has nothing to do with the LOI attendances unless Shamrock Rovers were looking for 15-20k all seater stadium i.e. no demand for that size stadium.
    Every bit as much to do with it as this:

I am open to correction but I think the GAA got 29,000 at Croke Park for last weekends Football League Final. They got 21,000 for double header hurling semi final at Limerick or Thurles. How many 20,000 crowd games do they think they will get? Have Dublin GAA ever filled Parnell Park?
    .....pretty ill concieved dig at the GAA had to do with anything

If they are getting for 21k for semi final with 4 teams I don't think it takes a genius to figure out won't get 20k for a single league game.

Once again, do your homework pete

I was often at league games with 20000+, I remember a double header in Thurles with over 45000 at it. Plus remember Tyrone against Dublin??

League attendances in the GAA depend on a mixture of who's playing. the hype and the weather

There's plenty of sticks to beat the GAA with pete. As a fellow Eircom League fan may I suggest their attendances isn't one of them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    On a related point what games would the GAA play in a 6000 capacity stadium in Tallaght? Surely it is too small for Dublin league games?
    If I were John O'Donoghue I'd offer to extend Tallaght to GAA specs if the GAA agree to hold at least 10 or so inter county games there every year.

If the GAA want the stadium I don't see an extra years delay for new planning as that big a deal. If they don't want it (which I suspect to be true) then it should be easy enough to call their bluff.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Student Mullet View Post
    If I were John O'Donoghue I'd offer to extend Tallaght to GAA specs if the GAA agree to hold at least 10 or so inter county games there every year
    Great idea.

In that new Belfield Bowl thing, will the spectators behind the goals also be 30 yards away from the pitch???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by khoop View Post
    In that new Belfield Bowl thing, will the spectators behind the goals also be 30 yards away from the pitch???
    No, it's for soccer and rugby only. The main GAA pitch is being done up a little as well but that's seperate.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gspain View Post
    I love the hooligans thing. Last weekend a GAA game was abandoned after a massive free for all involving players and spectators in Tyrone. In Derry a referee was manhandled and the visiting team locked in their dressingroom for 50 minutes after the game for their own safety.

They do however do a good job of covering things up and watering them down.
    In soccer in some parts of the world the players need to be protected from the spectators. In GAA in some parts of the world the spectators need to be protected from the players

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post
    Was in Thurles

Dozens during the summer in all fairness
    This was 20,000 for two games involving FOUR teams. That's only 10,000 a game (i.e. a Parnell Park load).
    Hurling is the only GAA game worth comparison in terms of skill with any of the global codes.
    It shows what a bunch of philistines most GAA fans are that more of them don't go to hurling.
    Oh and for the record it's official Eircom League gates are up this season

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Student Mullet View Post
    No, it's for soccer and rugby only. The main GAA pitch is being done up a little as well but that's seperate.
    I despair of students that don't pick up on irony.....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast