Thread: I don’t do interviews - Kinnear

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I don’t do interviews - Kinnear

eleven-a-side.com

It has emerged that Republic of Ireland managerial candidate Joe Kinnear refused to be interviewed for the post.

Kinnear, who famously turned down the opportunity of speaking with the FAI at the end of Jack Charlton’s reign in 1996, claimed that he was approached by FAI international consultant Bryan Hamilton, but turned it down, declaring that he would not go through the interview process in order to gain any job.

“If they want to give me the job, they can, but I don’t do interviews,” blasted the Luton Town manager. “[Bryan Hamilton] asked me if I would go on a list and be interviewed along with seven or eight other people, and I said no. If they don’t know what I’m capable of, why interview me? I’ve done enough in my life.”

There is speculation that Kinnear had blown his chances of attaining the Irish throne even before Christmas.

An early front-runner for the post, he slipped right down the bookmakers’ betting lists in recent weeks, and was available at 25/1 before this afternoon’s revelations.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    from the Irish Times By Emmet Malone

Hamilton disputes Kinnear's claim

18/01/03: Joe Kinnears claim that he declined an interview for the Ireland manager's job was ever so politely disputed by the man who was supposed to have made the offer yesterday. Bryan Hamilton made it clear he has not spoken with the Luton manager since being asked to help the Football Association of Ireland with the appointment of a successor to Mick McCarthy.

Speaking yesterday at a routine press conference ahead of Luton's Division Two game with Barnsley this afternoon Kinnear, whose late withdrawal from the race to succeed Jack Charlton seven years ago was variously put down at the time to either disappointment with the money on offer or an attempt to save face once it became obvious McCarthy was about to be appointed, claimed Hamilton had "asked me if I would go on a shortlist and be interviewed along with seven or eight other people, and I said no".

He added: "If they don't know what I'm capable of doing, why interview me? I've done enough in my life. If they want to give me the job they can, but I don't do interviews."

However, when this version of events was put to Hamilton the former Northern Ireland manager expressed both surprise and disappointment, remarking, "I like Joe, I have a lot of respect for him. But that sequence of events is not accurate.

"I haven't spoken to Joe," he continued. "I certainly haven't offered him anything. That's not my role. I don't have the responsibility or the authority. I'm a wee bit surprised and I hope the quotes aren't correct because it would be a little disappointing."

Though Hamilton declined to elaborate, he said that he had made a point of contacting anybody of note who had expressed an interest in the job in recent times and added: "I would have loved to have spoken with Joe."

The implication appears to be that an attempt was made to sound out Kinnear regarding his interest in the post but that he did not respond. The 56-year-old former international did not therefore take part in the first round of informal meetings with Hamilton and so could not possibly have been considered for the shortlist.

"I wouldn't like to in any way, shape or form malign Joe, I'm a big admirer of his," said Hamilton, "but if those quotes are accurate then that is not an accurate reflection of what has happened."

A spokesman for the FAI said that the association would not get into discussing individuals but added: "We have a shortlist of candidates, each of whom has been contacted and all of whom were happy to take part in the process."

Hamilton, who confirmed that he has now contacted all of the candidates on the shortlist, declined to give any indication of where or when they will be interviewed but it is expected that the meetings will take place in Britain during the course of next week.

There are suggestions, meanwhile, from leading FAI officials that Philippe Troussier and Brian Kerr may be emerging as the favourites to be named as the new manager over the next two weeks.

Kerr is believed to have interviewed well for the position on Wednesday morning before leaving for the United Arab Emirates with an Irish under-20 squad while those assessing the candidates are said to be impressed with the Frenchman achievements in each of his previous international jobs.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    why does everything to do with the FAI have to be claimed and counter-claimed

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by Éanna
    why does everything to do with the FAI have to be claimed and counter-claimed
    Nothing changes...
    This whole search for a manager is turning into a f*cking soap opera.
    The Echo has a story saying that Robson will be the manager with
    Roy Keane as assistant !
    The FAI will never get it's act together

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Bloody Interviews - these are all high profile individuals and the FAI wants to sit them down and interview them. To borrow a phrase: "Do you see Dick Advocat do fu€king interviews tonight!"
    Effenberg played like my grandmother!

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    of course they have to interview them, you can´t just GIVE someone the job. Kinnear is an idiot if he´s said this. Typical FAI though, the whole thing is a joke.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Another story doing the rounds now is that because John Delaney is a life-long Man U fanatic, he is the one pushing for Robson/Keane, and he is one of the 3 people who will decide on who gets the job.
    F*ck it, even McCarthy would be better than that w*nker Robson.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Originally posted by oddboy
    Another story doing the rounds now is that because John Delaney is a life-long Man U fanatic, he is the one pushing for Robson/Keane, and he is one of the 3 people who will decide on who gets the job.
    F*ck it, even McCarthy would be better than that w*nker Robson.
    in what other footbll association in the world would you believe that for a second only the fai would have someone up there who supports a foreign league- not to mention that sh@ggin haircut
    FAI OUT!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    If thats true Kinnear (manager in english 2nd division) must have some ego.

Just because de Echo & other papers print idiotic stories does not mean they true.

http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Football managers don't need to be interviewed I mean what the hell would any gobsh*te from the FAI ask Joe Kinnear! The fai are the fooking biggest joke ,the next qualifier is 2 months we play Scotland in a friendly soon and the F A I !!!!!! are doing what? INTERVIEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Another job well done.

Joe Kinnear is dead right, they know what his record is if they want to give him the job they should give it to him. If not then stop fannying around and give it to someone else.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Well Roy Keane has shown Spillane to be the pr*ck he is. In an interview with George Hook, (I presume on Newstalk106) and played on Trevor's Big Red bench last night, Keane says he has no intentions whatsoever to become assistant/coach/whatever to Robson. He said he may consider management/coaching in 3 to 4 years time when his playing days are over.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: I don’t do interviews - Kinnear

[B“If they want to give me the job, they can, but I don’t do interviews,” blasted the Luton Town manager. “[Bryan Hamilton] asked me if I would go on a list and be interviewed along with seven or eight other people, and I said no. If they don’t know what I’m capable of, why interview me? I’ve done enough in my life.”
    [/B]
    Makes alot of sense, doesn't it? You walk straight into a job without proving you're good enough for it. What if everyone did that? Good riddance, Joe!

Murphy Out Now!!!
    Munster 33-6 Gloucester
    Aint revenge sweet?!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I don't like the emphasis been put on the new man's ability to get Keane back as a pre-requisite for the job. If he comes back fine, but pick a manager who can do the best job for the next 4/5 years and let him decide whether or not he wants Keane back. At the moment we're making Keane bigger than the team and that's not right.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by Heighway
    I don't like the emphasis been put on the new man's ability to get Keane back as a pre-requisite for the job. If he comes back fine, but pick a manager who can do the best job for the next 4/5 years and let him decide whether or not he wants Keane back. At the moment we're making Keane bigger than the team and that's not right.
    I completely agree. Brian Kerr for Ireland.

Murphy Out Now!!!
    Munster 33-6 Gloucester
    Aint revenge sweet?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Originally posted by Shed End John
    I completely agree. Brian Kerr for Ireland.
    Hear hear.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Originally posted by Heighway
    Agree 100% but unfortunately i think it will have a bearing on the next manager whether we like it or not. if it wasn´t an issue, it wouldn´t be in the papers all the bloody time. it just shows what a joke the FAI are.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    KINNEAR FOR IRELAND

Please not Brian Kerr. Nice fella and all that he is.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Agree 100% but unfortunately i think it will have a bearing on the next manager whether we like it or not. if it wasn´t an issue, it wouldn´t be in the papers all the bloody time. it just shows what a joke the FAI are.
    But who is making this an issue?
    It seems to me that anybody who showed any interest in the Ireland job was asked specific questions by various members of the press regarding Keane.
    (with the exception of Kerr, I think. I haven't come across any comments by him on the subject).
    Delaney was reported to be very interested in a Robson/Keane scenario, (a double act breathlessly reported by Spillage in particular), but this has been shown to be complete b*llix.
    I cannot see the likes of Troussier do anything but give a polite answer to a direct question, but if given the job, not allow one personality to dominate everything. I suspect Brian Kerr would be the same. The rest of the candidates, imho, are simply below standard and should not be considered seriously.
    The FAI are a joke, but the "soccer press" here aren't much better and in some cases, for example those cases well known to Cork people, are even more amateurish and petty than the FAI itself.
    Dervan, Quinn, Dunphy etc. etc. etc.......
    Last edited by patsh; 21/01/2003 at 6:15 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    The Echo has a story saying that Robson will be the manager with Roy Keane as assistant !
    The Echo? They can't even spell! If they had a page 3 column with Mary-Theresa from Blackpool, only then might they worth "reading"

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Oops.
    http://balls.ie/football/the-hilario...ort-interview/
    Not one for the faint-hearted.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast