Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "Am I good at it?,I've got medals for it"

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Table tennis: School (runner up)
    owlsfan that was the only sport i was actually ( well whast the definition of good?* )good at. It really ****ed me off because the way the competitions went were singles, doubles and mixed doubles, we kept losing in the mixed doubles in the community games to st aloysiuis ( i know thats spelt wrong ) well everytime being from u12 to u14. IT really ****ed me off cos if we actually had a proper table to play/practice on rather than a bit of chipboard over a 8 x 4 snooker table on and didnt have to do mixed doubles ( just like tennis as well for community games ) i am pretty sure we would have won and could have gone quite far. A dual perhaps owlsfan

*i worked for my internship in college in boston for the summer, and we used to play during work hours ( was class actually ), i got a big head cos they were all sh1te in our department , i then took out other departments and played one indian and one chinese guy man were they cocky, but good to match unfortunately, they could do serious spin and never ventured closer than a metre to the table. but you learn to get better. really is class some of the things that some people can do with a bit of plastic full of air!!
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

2. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    I've won a lot of Football trophies/medals/Individual medals eg player of the year.

I got to a Manchester regional final for boxing but had to pull out due to injury to the hand.

I've also won rugby medals in 3 different age groups when I was 15(under 16, under 18 and under 21s).

And various athletic events most notibly Shot put and high jump.

I also won a couple of runners up medals playing indoor bowls.

Sadly now I have stopped playing any sports although I have been thinking of taking up boxing again. Which is going to take me about 6 months to get anywhere near fit enough and quick enough to fight.
    The Hallion Battalion Molests football.:D

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Various medals in Gaelic football(underage almost exclusively) and basketball and a little in athletics.
    If you count the Cork City Sports(The primary schools one) then i've few from there also[scraping the end of the barrel there].
    We won the AI intermediate football final with UCC a few weeks ago but wasn't around for the final due to me being in Boston for my internship
    Last edited by ollie; 20/04/2007 at 2:26 PM.
    Life isn't all beer and football...some of us haven't touched a football in months

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    777 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    owlsfan that was the only sport i was actually ( well whast the definition of good?* )good at. It really ****ed me off because the way the competitions went were singles, doubles and mixed doubles, we kept losing in the mixed doubles in the community games to st aloysiuis ( i know thats spelt wrong ) well everytime being from u12 to u14. IT really ****ed me off cos if we actually had a proper table to play/practice on rather than a bit of chipboard over a 8 x 4 snooker table on and didnt have to do mixed doubles ( just like tennis as well for community games ) i am pretty sure we would have won and could have gone quite far. A dual perhaps owlsfan

*i worked for my internship in college in boston for the summer, and we used to play during work hours ( was class actually ), i got a big head cos they were all sh1te in our department , i then took out other departments and played one indian and one chinese guy man were they cocky, but good to match unfortunately, they could do serious spin and never ventured closer than a metre to the table. but you learn to get better. really is class some of the things that some people can do with a bit of plastic full of air!!
    Just noticed this post (10 years later). Table tennis I have enjoyed for years but only play it when I visit a house that has a table. I play a very negative game which means I just chop back all the time and wait for the opponent's mistake. Never try the big shot which means if I meet someone who can effect such a shot successfully they'll beat me.

Sky have tried broadcasting the game (not mine I hasten to add) a few times. Not sure what the viewing figures were like but I'd watch for a short time and then surf over to whatever sport was on elsewhere. Not a great TV sport which makes me wonder do the leading professionals make any money?
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    And would tennis players be good at it or does that not matter? Serena looks pretty comfortable in that commercial where she plays Steph Curry.
    Too bad we can't have fun bantering conversations like we did ten years back. It's all very serious on here now I feel like. I try to bring levity but I'm largely ignored. I think that's why Stu left.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Nice 10 year bump,Deja vu all over again....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    What a great thread. Really enjoyed reading through it all.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    620 Posts
    I won a community games medal for football. Won schoolboy medals for league and cups; won adult medals at junior level without really pursuing it.
    All ireland vocational schools medal for gaa football.
    Leinster schools junior cup
    Club county provincial and almost (1 stroke dammit) national pitch and putt champion.
    Inter law firms football championship.

Rally regret not putting more effort/better guidance in the crucial years during school. Not quite "could have been a contender" level but was really lacking sound advice at important stages...

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    892 Posts
    Fencing for me.

One Intervarsity team title
    One Colours team title
    Second in the Junior Nationals
    (all for sabre)

Took part in an epée tournament once on the College B-team (making up the numbers) and came up against a British veterans’ team – not one of them a day under 60 and all ex-Olympic, World Championships or Commonwealth Games fencers or a combination of these. I lost 5-0, 5-0 and 5-1. The only fella I hit took silver in the European Veteran’s Championship a month later. I’m counting that hit!!

(Thanks for the bump, OF)
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Irish Championships Runner-up in chess (Novice section)

The guy who won is an International Master now.

Have won money at a few tournaments as well.
    Ten years on, and I'm heading off to Turkey in October to play in the actual Champions League in chess.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    One of the players in Washington Sq Park recently told me that tourney might have to be moved from Turkey, Pineapple. Did you ever see the "Comedians in cars getting coffee" with Michael Richards? I like the part when he talks about those Chess Savants...really interesting.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    777 Posts
    Ten years on, and I'm heading off to Turkey in October to play in the actual Champions League in chess.
    How did you get on ?
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Grise View Post
    Fencing for me.

One Intervarsity team title
    One Colours team title
    Second in the Junior Nationals
    (all for sabre)

Took part in an epée tournament once on the College B-team (making up the numbers) and came up against a British veterans’ team – not one of them a day under 60 and all ex-Olympic, World Championships or Commonwealth Games fencers or a combination of these. I lost 5-0, 5-0 and 5-1. The only fella I hit took silver in the European Veteran’s Championship a month later. I’m counting that hit!!

(Thanks for the bump, OF)
    You were foiled

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    How did you get on ?
    About as well as could be expected really! 35th of 36 teams (we were seeded 34th) I only won 1 of my 5 games. Besiktas and Valerenga were among the teams who thumped us. When Besiktas won the Turkish chess league, they got to parade the trophy around the pitch at the get hand.

For comparison, 16 of the top 32 players in the world were there. And a lot of the weaker teams - Scottish, Welsh, Albanian clubs, etc - didn't travel for security reasons, so twas always going to be tough.

On the plus side - all-inclusive retort hotels in Turkey do mean it; free beer all week!

Tournament was about 30 miles outside Antalya, where Ireland play Turkey soon. I didn't get in to the town, but others who did said it was a nice spot.

19. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    892 Posts
    16 of the top 32 players in the world were there.
    A man is known by the company he keeps. My hat's off to you.

Quote Originally Posted by the 12 th man View Post
    You were foiled
    Only by my knees in later life! These days, I'd gladly exchange them with Paul McGrath!
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123