Any word on the attendance lads?
    Mon the Yoots!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Report from irishfootballonline.com
    ---------------

The League of Ireland's two newest clubs - Wexford Youths and Limerick 37 - played out a 1-1 draw at the Wexford Youths football complex this afternoon. The results sees Dundalk left with a four point lead at the top after four rounds of games.

Former Limerick FC player Conor Sinnott crashed an effort against the post for Wexford while Padraig Moran didn't miss by much with a shot for the visitors in the first period.

Limerick took the lead on 72 minutes when Dave Goldbey bundled the ball home after goalkeeper Shane Dunphy pushed away an initially dangerous free kick floated in by Ross Cosgrave.

The lead lasted only seven minutes as Wexford responded to going behind. Jason Murphy created the chance a weak attempted clearance from Limerick fell invitingly into the path of Martin Kelly who fired home a curling shot from outside the box to earn a point for the home side.

Wexford Youths : Dunphy, Russell, Larkin, Lawlor (Wadding 53), Sinnott, Kelly, Flynn-O'Connor (J Murphy 65), O'Loughlin, O'Leary (G Murphy 87), Malone, Brosnan.
    Limerick 37 : Fyffe, Keady, Buckley, Finucane, Purcell, Molan (Hayes 65), Maloney, Waters, Cosgrave, Goldbey, Moran.
    www.fmformation.net FMFormation.net Admin Team
    Wexford Youth FC - International Supporters Club Member!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Piltownpossy View Post
    Any word on the attendance lads?
    My sister was there and reckons there was about the same as at the Cobh game!
    There are really only 10 types of person; those who can read binary and those who can't.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    425 Posts
    My dad was there said around same as Cobh maybe a little less.

Said it was a good game Wexford played well and deserved the draw.
    Delighted to take a point to be honest becuase Limerick have been in great form.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Great day out,place errupted after Kelly's goal.Dampner on the day for me was when I stood up to tell the ref what I thaught of him and some lad tiped me on the shoulder saying ''I don't like your language''.Got annoyed and told him where to go but I couldn't repeat what I said to him!
    Mick Wallace's black and white army

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Hope you told him where to go Thunder. What a tosser. It's a football game for f*ck sake!! This is pride and passion at stake. Dunno how you didn't slap him. I would have. C*nt.

On another note, Stuart Lawlor will be out for the next few games i heard. Apparent groin strain. Went off in the 53rd min. Hopefully not too serious, but will miss tomorrow night and more than likely Kildare too. Sad really 'cos he's been a solid performer so far this season. That's 2 injuries in as many weeks 'cos Russell was injured last week. I wish them well.

Good point today lads, but we should push for more against Kildare next Sun.
    "People say football is a matter of life and death, I believe it is much more important than that".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Heres what happened:

Chap-I don't like your language so stop!

Me-I can say whatever the **** I want in here its a match!

Chap-No you can't,go over there and say it!

Me-No I ****ing won't,I'm staying here ya spa!

He then shut his gob.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    You should have told him to fcuk off to Wexford Park if he wanted to watch a game without getting excited!
    That really does annoy me about a lot of Wexford people in general. Too embarressed to make any noise.
    And another thing, Who was the auld dear on the tannoy and why was she only given 1 CD? It only happened to be the most depressing collection of songs ever! I had a few out in the car that I could have given her!!

Ok, rant over, unless we start discussing people's innability to indicate on roundabouts!!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    You lads need to expand your vocabularies and you wouldn't need to resort to such one-dimensinal crap!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    from RTE....

1500 there...

Marty Kelly with a stunning 79th minute strike helped Wexford Youths to a share of the eircom League of Ireland Division One points with Limerick 37 in a 1-1 draw at Wexford Youths Complex this afternoon.

After a first half in which the strong crossfield wind played havoc with both sides, leaving the sides going in 0-0 at the break, that said, the second half showed a huge improvement.

Wexford Youths applied the pressure during the opening thirty minutes coming close to taking the lead after twenty-eight minutes when Conor Sinnott saw his effort rebound off the upright with keeper Jimmy Fyffe well beaten.

The game was delicately poised with both sides being very effective in midfield.

The visitors had a real chance of taking the lead five minute before the break but Padraig Moran saw his shot just rise over Shane Dunphy's crossbar much to the delight of the home support in the 1500 attendance.

Limerick 37 seemed to regroup taking a deserved lead after seventy-two minutes.

Ross Cosgrave floated in a freekick, which deflected off the head of Wexford's Conor Sinnott.

With the ball looking destined for the net keeper Shane Dunphy managed to push clear with one hand but David Goldbey was on hand to head the ball back into the roof of the net.

Pat Purcell had a chance of increasing Limerick's lead but saw his header from Padraig Moran's corner-kick just go over the top as the homeside struggled to deal with the set pieces.

Both sides had some half chances with Wexford Youth beginning to respond.

Conor Sinnott started to dictate play in midfield and twice came close to setting up his front players as Limerick seemed content to protect their single goal lead.

But it was a Sinnott pass into the path of substitute Jason Murphy whose low cross was only partially cleared by the Limerick defence with Marty Kelly curling a tremendous twenty-five metre effort to the right hand corner of Jimmy Fyffe's net to give his side a share of the points.

Wexford Youths: Shane Dunphy, anthony russell, Garrett Larkin, Stuart Lawlor (Joey Wadding 53), Conor Sinnott, Marty Kelly, Johnny Flynn-O'Connor (Jason Murphy 65). Liam O'Loughlin, Johnny O'Leary (Gary Murphy 87), Paul malone, Ben Brosnan.

Limerick 37: Jimmy Fyffe, Nigel Keady, Brian Buckley, Paul Finucane, Pat Purcell, Conor Molan (Anthony Hayes 65), Joey Maloney, Kevin Waters, Ross Cosgrave, David Goldbey, Padraig Moran.

Referee: Graham Kelly (Cork).
    Mon the Yoots!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Anyone there trell me if the wind was as bad as the Cobh game?

I hope Newcastle aint going to be one of those places that has a perennial wind - it'll make for poor games all season :-(
    Mon the Yoots!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    It was bad but not as bad as the Cobh game!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The one on the tannoy was Noleen Redmond, the solicitor from Enniscorthy. And yeah, music wasn't the best!

Judging by the official attendance of 2130 at the CObh game I'd say there were around 1800 there yesterday, maybe 1900.

I thought we were done for when they scored but fair play to Marty, super strike!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ForzaWexford View Post

I thought we were done for when they scored but fair play to Marty, super strike!
    Well if the defence are going to stand off five yards and the keepers not going to dive then I fancy my chances too

Seriously lads we were all disgusted that we're not giving ye thumpings tbh. Absolutely woeful, woeful side. Three agricultural midfielders, in front of three panicky centre halfs, absolutely nothing up front. No offence lads but the general consensus was one of anger on the way home that we didn't thrash the likes of what was put in front of us.

Also a couple of observations about your ground:

1. Easily the coldest ground in Ireland. BUILD A STAND ON THE FAR SIDE MICK

2. Crowd are eerily quiet. Could be a lot of gah heads sprinkled among them who wont stick around for the long haul unless your successful

3. Your stewards are *******

4. The parking situation is unreal

5. The wind is killing any chance of ever seeing a good game of football at that ground

Anyway fairplay for grafting a point against a patently superior footballing side. You'll genuinely do alright this year as there actually aren't that many teams in the division with enough guile to get through the seven man blanket defence you use. I'm just disgusted that Limerick aren't one of them.....

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    i have 2 agree wit u we were defending for our lives ten behind the ball. that is not football. brutal 2 watch & we wont get a crowd if we keep playing like that.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    425 Posts
    Lim til I die you have some valid points and I'm glad that most of your anger is directed towards your own players.

I think it's perfectly reasonable for this Wexford side to be the worst team in the league this season, they are inexperienced, young and it's a steep learning curve. The one thing they do have, however, and in abundance is desire and commitment, and that's why they've taken so many points already.

The squad is also suffering from injuries at this early stage and many of the more experience and better players in certain positions have been missing. They will improve all season and they may even begin to develop into a truly dangerous side if they can get everyone fit and playing well.

For the moment those attending the games are supporting the concept of the club and the promise that it hols for the future. The people attending are certainly football people who will continue to come to games (the game last Sunday kicked off at the same time as the two GAA teams).

The crowd lacks leadership at the moment in terms of making noise and supporting the team. Very few people going to the games have experienced live senior football before. Once a supporters club is established and the regulars start to recognise each other the atmosphere will come.

The wind is a real disaster and a terrible pity, hopefully it won't be too windy for most of the summer games. It does seem that there will need to be a fully enclosed stadium to try to negate the problem, which unfortunately will be a long time coming.

All in all I think the future looks bright for Wexford Youths FC and I for one will continue to give them my support. (I'll never be an Ultra attending every game, but I'll certainly join the supporters club and wear the merchandise with immense pride)

Come on you boys in black,
    Come on you boys in black,
    Come on you boys,
    Come on you boys in black.
    (It's easy, it's catchy, it's got irony, and even a little double entendre)

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post
    Well if the defence are going to stand off five yards and the keepers not going to dive then I fancy my chances too

Seriously lads we were all disgusted that we're not giving ye thumpings tbh. Absolutely woeful, woeful side. Three agricultural midfielders, in front of three panicky centre halfs, absolutely nothing up front. No offence lads but the general consensus was one of anger on the way home that we didn't thrash the likes of what was put in front of us.

Also a couple of observations about your ground:

1. Easily the coldest ground in Ireland. BUILD A STAND ON THE FAR SIDE MICK

2. Crowd are eerily quiet. Could be a lot of gah heads sprinkled among them who wont stick around for the long haul unless your successful

3. Your stewards are *******

4. The parking situation is unreal

5. The wind is killing any chance of ever seeing a good game of football at that ground

Anyway fairplay for grafting a point against a patently superior footballing side. You'll genuinely do alright this year as there actually aren't that many teams in the division with enough guile to get through the seven man blanket defence you use. I'm just disgusted that Limerick aren't one of them.....

I've only been to the Monaghan and Cobh games sof far but what I saw at those games didn't amount to a seven man blanket defence. But if it takes blanket defending for some games in their first season to get points on the board then so bloody what! Lets remember that very few Youths players have ever played at this level, and our manager has never managed at this level. Of course we're gonna be rough around the edges now and probably for quite a while.

In my opinion to have only lost once in our first league games is excellent and even if we lose every game from now til the end of the season, we will get it right.

As for some wind breakers, I hope something gets sorted, I know I break wind regularly!

I think passinginterest has put this far more eloquently than I did, just a pity I hadn't seen his post before I posted!

Up the Yoofs!
    Last edited by dublin_owl; 03/04/2007 at 12:19 PM.
    There are really only 10 types of person; those who can read binary and those who can't.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I don't think Limerick were a "patently superior side" at all. Fair enough they have some experience, a good back four and a few handy looking players - but they didn't create much at all on Sunday, and rarely looked like scoring.

As passinginterest said, we can't really expect the Youths to be a good footballing side yet. Most of these fellas were local junior players who would never have dreamt of playing eL until about 3 months ago. It's a big step up and it'll be a while yet before the lads start realising their full potential. It's been a fairly positive start to the season all the same, and I'd be fairly confident of getting a result against Kildare next weekend.

You're right about the ground though. Impressive and all as it is it can be very windy, and the parking arrangements leave a lot to be desired.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    these lads are not up 2 el standard never were never will b these are players who have come from junior teams & thats were they belong. in all our matches we have defended for our lives most of these players coulnt get on our oscar trainer team & now they are el players y is that eh? any team can defend with ten behind the ball whats wallace going to do next? build a wall on the goal line?? this is not football lads all our games look like a game of attackers v defenders we have a few el standard players in hawkins d millar and johny flynn the rest are average

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Cool the jets lads! Tis early days.

Sure, they aren't yet up to scratch but give 'em time. 4 games in and you're slating them already. THey can do without that kind of 'support'

As Mick said, day one, the supporters will have to be patient, its an amateur team but they won't be found wanting in terms of effort, commitment and honesty, and from what I've seen so far he's right.

Onwards and upwards!

Mon de Yoots!
    Mon the Yoots!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast