Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: An alternative view maybe...?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

An alternative view maybe...?

My view is that people have accepted hook line and sinker, what Dunphy says. He was never intended to be taken seriously. RTE, Newstalk, most of the papers......all simply abusing the manager and the team.

There is an alternative view. Its that abuse doesnt help. If you truly want the team to do well, then the way you criticise is important. Pure angry abuse is damaging.

They didnt play well yesterday, but it cant be easy with the pressure. Genuinely, its a young team. Staunton is bringing in a lot of young players and they are doing well. McShane, Ireland,Hunt, Doyle, and many others....

Give the boys a chance...
    Give Staunton a chance.
    The abuse is so over the top...

www.theboysingreen.blogspot.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts
    I never take anything serious from Eamonn Dunphy, it seems who ever is in charge, should be sacked.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by craig7042 View Post
    My view is that people have accepted hook line and sinker, what Dunphy says. He was never intended to be taken seriously. RTE, Newstalk, most of the papers......all simply abusing the manager and the team.

There is an alternative view. Its that abuse doesnt help. If you truly want the team to do well, then the way you criticise is important. Pure angry abuse is damaging.

They didnt play well yesterday, but it cant be easy with the pressure. Genuinely, its a young team. Staunton is bringing in a lot of young players and they are doing well. McShane, Ireland,Hunt, Doyle, and many others....

Give Staunton a chance.

Just because you don't agree with the criticism doesn't mean its abuse or necessarily over the top. If you want to have a go at individual posts or posters go ahead but don't open a new thread for the purpose of having a go at everybody (the vast majority) who don't share your opinion.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by charliesboots View Post
    Just because you don't agree with the criticism doesn't mean its abuse or necessarily over the top. If you want to have a go at individual posts or posters go ahead but don't open a new thread for the purpose of having a go at everybody (the vast majority) who don't share your opinion.
    Tks. This is why I opened the thread. I know people dont agree, but I also believe that people like myself need to speak out. I dont believe I'm alone. How can you say this stuff isnt abusive? I dont understand that. Its highly personal abuse in here and in the media when people talk about players like Kilbane, O'Shea and Staunton...
    Lets see if people respond to the thread - I know it seems like a minority view, but I dont believe it necessarily is...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Firstly, this has nothing to do with Dunphy. He just happens to be a particularly loud critic in a chorus of critcisim.

Secondly, it isn't an isolated or even personal attack on Stauton. His overall preperation and performace bespeak a manager who is way over his head. He appears to have no grasp of tactics and has yet to suggest an ability to read the game from the sidelines. I'm sure he is a lovely person otherwise but that does not make him a football manager.

Lastly, O'Shea et al. have not played well for Ireland for a long time. Unless you consider losing to Cyprus playing well. Kilbane has been equally as poor for a very long time.

So no, it's not the minority view but the prevailing view based on a poor manager and a dreadful association.
    There is no such thing as a miracle cure, a free lunch or a humble opinion.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by craig7042 View Post

Give Staunton a chance.

I, an I'm sure most people, agree that abuse of a personal nature towards the manager and players is out of order.

However, I feel any criticism that questions their ability to do the job is fair game.

The reason for your post seems to be more "please being so hard on poor Stan, he's a nice guy and he doesn't deserve it...", as in you're taking the amount of criticism he's receiving about his ability to do the job as personal, when it's more about how unhappy people are with his apparent lack of ability to do the job.

I think you'll find most people here and in the media are upset about the fact that the team is playing way below its potential, and if ever a manager made a difference to a team it's in this area.

Stan doesn't appear to have the ability or personality to inspire the players to want to win for him and the supporters.

Unfortunately.
    It's a Sicilian message. It means Luca Brasi swims with Team Ireland...

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    I don't think the criticism of the players and manager on this forum is personalized, we are criticising and praising their performances game by game. It is up to Stan and the players to turn it around not us. They are giving the media plenty of ammo with one insipid performance after another. It's pretty damn clear that Mick McCarthy or Roy Keane would get much beter performances from this squad than Stan has so far achieved and is likely to achieve.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Some people may be influenced. However most posters on here have their own minds. They are unlikely to accept much hook line and sinker. Indeed many beliefs are beyond influence of any kind, from Dunphy or others, or indeed rational or otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    I thought that individually our players did ok.. however collectively, as a team, we lacked purpose, direction and shape. There didn't seem to be any structure or understanding to what each individual player had for role - re: Carsley's alleged quote. This is Stan's responsibility. As a previous poster remarked, Stan doesn't have the personality to be a manager - and this is the biggest problem. I don't think he has the ability to effectively communicate his point (if he has one) to the players. He comes across very timid, shaky and uninspiring in everything he does - he simply isn't a leader of men.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    On the whole the post match analysis was quite fair and some had sympathy for staunton, saying obviously he was given the job too soon. The Irish manager's job is not there for someone just to gain experience from, it's there for the players to gain experience from the manager's knowledge which in this case is minimal. Regarding dunphy, he never turns down a chance to lambast the fai for any wrongdoings and they don't get much bigger than this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Sorry but this is total crap.

Even if you don't have quality players you still need organisation. i would ddispute the quality thing anyway as most of our squad are drawn from th epremiership. Lee Carsley gave the game away despite the later backtrack.

There is no organisation. There is no system. These players play different systems at their clubs. Staunton clearly just picks a team and sends them out. This is more obvious at a game than on tv.

Dunphy may be a loudmouth but that doesn't mean he is wrong. He actually doe shave an excellent understanding of the game and is often right. he does choose to court controversy.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    I think defensively bar Dunnes mistake we looked very solid, now I know Wales werent great but in giggs and bellamy they do have top level attacking players and they were overall kept quiet. Plus having Shay behind them makes such a difference.

I still think our biggest problem is midfield, we just do not have a good passer who is comfortable on the ball who can control things for us. Carsley does exactly what you expect from him no more. The likes of kilbane and douglas did ok but are never going to boss things and Ireland although showing potential is still a young player and needs time. I am slightly concerned about Carsleys post match comments as well, despite his subsequent back track.

Plus why so much long ball, we have tiny strikers!

With Keane out, Doyle with start up front, I think Hunt should also start on the left with Duff on the right. Finnan is wasted at left back in my opinion, he is continually cutting back on his right so id like to see him switched. But again the problem is CM, and with Slovakia having a decent midfielder in the lad from Porto, we could be in trouble.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    Slovakia having a decent midfielder in the lad from Porto, we could be in trouble.
    Marek Cech is a defender. I'm more concerned about Mintal (4 goals, 3 assists so far) and Kozak (3 assists)
    Stats from http://www.uefa.com/competitions/eur...ics/index.html
    I'm too used to Football Manager - a few clicks and you can tell what left sided player under the age of 25 playing in Portugal has the highest pass completion!
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gspain View Post
    Lee Carsley gave the game away despite the later backtrack.
    Carsley's account is infinitly more believable than some very isolated quote flying around hack land. There was enough evidence in the game to see what was happening without having to resort to the time old hack tactic of selective quotes to suit an agenda in order to ridicule.
    This has happened to every manager since Giles upped the level of expectations. It's the same old journalistic shíte and still people swallow it.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Carsley's account is infinitly more believable than some very isolated quote flying around hack land. There was enough evidence in the game to see what was happening without having to resort to the time old hack tactic of selective quotes to suit an agenda in order to ridicule.
    This has happened to every manager since Giles upped the level of expectations. It's the same old journalistic shíte and still people swallow it.
    It wasn't a selective quote it was what he actually said. I know people that were there and they couldn't believe what they'd heard they actually had to consult each other to confirm it. I don't think Stan is being treated particularly harshly given his poor attitude towards the media. He's brought an awful lot of this on himself with some pretty ridiculous excuses, quote and selections. I hadn't heard the team till I got to my seat on Saturday and when I saw the squad flash up on the board I shook my head in disbelief. The man is clueless and he's destroying this team. I know we don't have players of the quality of years gone by but we've enough to be doing far better than this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBoss View Post
    I never take anything serious from Eamonn Dunphy, it seems who ever is in charge, should be sacked.
    Maybe he wants the job himself

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Block G Raptor View Post
    Maybe he wants the job himself
    That'd be a sight. He'd be calling for himself to be sacked before he caught himself.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    A Dunphy is there for comic effect really ,to see him up in arms because an unfit kevin doyle wasnt starting the very same player a few months back dunphy was saying wasnt good enough

It was apoor performance but with everyone on your back all the time , and the poor crowd support (ive never heard 80,000 people make less noise even when the players came onto the pitch you could barely hear them ) its hard to get motivated .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I cannot agree with this. I think most of us can speak for ourselves and formulate our own opinions on the Irish team.

We are a poor footballing nation and we are going to stuggle in every single one of our remaining games in our group which is an extremely sad state of affairs. We have to right to speak out against the manager and players (the real culprits) when they let us down. Granted we won the match, but the fact remains that we are poor.
    I think I should the parachute, because I'm great.

In fact, I think I should get both parachutes, in case one doesn't work.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Torn-Ado View Post
    I cannot agree with this. I think most of us can speak for ourselves and formulate our own opinions on the Irish team.

We are a poor footballing nation and we are going to stuggle in every single one of our remaining games in our group which is an extremely sad state of affairs. We have to right to speak out against the manager and players (the real culprits) when they let us down. Granted we won the match, but the fact remains that we are poor.
    I agree that we may struggle in all our games, but thats probably always been the case. Winning games will help though, not matter how you do it. Even with the criticism, I believe the win on Saturday will be helping the team in the build-up to Slovakia, and it gives us a better chance in that game than if we'd drawn or lost on Saturday.

I also feel that over the top abuse and using words like "Shocking", "Disgraceful", "humiliating", "Comical", "Muppets", and worse lets face it...... just doesnt help the team get a better result.

The media definately have an agenda to destroy though. It all started after the Chile game which was only his second game in charge. They did it to kerr and McCarthy. I liked McCarthy and I think he's proved himself again as a good manager. Probably the best of the three of them, although in my opinion Stan hasnt been given long enough to prove his ability or lack of it. I definately believe more time is needed to know for sure if he is out of depth or not. The abuse shouldnt have started till atleast these two sets of games were completed... Chile last June was far too early.

By the way i dont think Staunton is above criticism just cause hes nice..... please......! And I also seriously hope people arent judging him for his TV manner - thats bizarre... When did TV manner ever matter? I quite like his style - these journalists are eejits . They deserve to be treated with disdain sometimes. He tried very hard with them in the beginning by getting the players to do interviews as much as possible before and after games. Didnt he?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast