Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Irish Wolves Marching On (Hopefully)

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Irish Wolves Marching On (Hopefully)

How the devil? First time user overjoyed that I'll finally be able to contribute after a year of trying to log on without success (closest thing i've ever felt to being mute)

Just posting in anticipation of the Wolves vs WBA Game tomorrow to see who people are backing for the playoffs and for a bit of an update on some of the young Irish Kids who have played such a big part in Wolves recent revival. Think it's going to be tough, but Mick has assembled a great young team on nothing and got us playing some great fluid passing football, which the first leg was testament to.

Been down the Molineux a lot lately, so have had a chance (or, as a Wolves Fan for 25 years, a privellige) to see the young lads coming through. My personal, if not biased, opinion is:

Andy Keogh - The Kid is pure class. Literally has it all. His movement, passing and control are quality and he often drifts wide to create space (perfect if played with Wingers who drift inside like Kightly/McGeady). Combined with his pace and willingness to run (we would never have scored our first on Sunday had it not been for him chasing a lost cause) means that he is a real handful for any defender. Another asset is his height (he's 6ft 1), meaning that he can be used as a good target man. Only weakness is his composure in front of goal - if he can sort that, he'll be a regular fixture in the Ireland Squad.

Darren Potter - A centre midfielder who has obviously been schooled the Liverpool way. Came to the club as a passing midfielder, however has adapted well to the holding role as he is deceptively strong in the tackle. Has been an ever-present since he came, attracting a bit of derision initially when he was finding his feet, but is becoming a fans favourite. Like all good centre midfielders he has a great ability to find space, which is probably his best attribute, often going unnoticed, as he creates an option for others. His short and long passing are bang on and he has good composure on the ball. He's also Steve Gerrards Cousin, not that it means anything, but is always nice to drop in to football banter to show the knowledge.

Stephen Ward - A lot of you boys will know more about him than I do, as he has only played in fits and starts. Fitted in brilliantly after Christmas winning the player of the month - but seemed to tire come the end of the season. Well liked down the Mol, he's been putting it about up front and is very direct. Also links up well with Keogh, with a lot of fans (myself included) preferring him to the talented, but immensely lazy, Bothroyd. Looks like he could have a big future if he can polish off a few of the rough edges.

Stephen Gleeson - Very highly rated at the Wolves and could potentially be the best of the lot. He has come on a lot recently late on in games, however I've not seen enough to be able to have a strong opinion, although from what I have seen, he is a neat little passer and has good movement, always looking for the ball which is encouraging for a youngster. Most encouraging of all is that in his last game at Stockport on loan, the Stockport fans had a "gleeson day" where they all wore green (an amazing feat if you consider that Stockport is renowned for it's rather staunch English heritage in face of it's more Irish Manc neighbour). He's also been included before Mark Davies, who is the England U19 captain in our Subs who Spurs were reportedly looking at for £3m.

All in all, things are on the up. I know that Mick may have had his critics in the past (myself included), however hopefully with the Keane furore done and dusted, people will start to see Mick in a better light. He's a decent bloke, who has continued to give young irish talent a chance and while he may have made mistakes, has been a good servant for us over the years (I will always remember fondly the time in 1990 when he kicked Lineker into the hoardings with a massive grin on his face).

So after that sales job, hopefully you'll all be cheering on the Wolves tomorrow night, if not just to see some of our young kids tested at the highest level. Whatever happens, the young kids have surpassed all expectations and the good times are only just round the corner. Finally, apologies for the long-winded email, but I've felt mute for a year, so this is the result of a year full of frustation.

Up the Wolves and Ireland Forever!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Welcome Wolfie!

Not sure you will be feeling happy tomorrow night.....was poor old Gary Breen "paid" by the baggies to play his worst game ever?

As a long suffering Hornet, I (sorry) hope you don't make it as I love going to The Molineux........still good luck!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Nice one Wolf. Glad to see Mick McCarthy is doing such a good job with ye. He really has a knack of picking players from lower leagues and putting them in the first team. That Michael Kightly fella has been a real find for ye hasnt he. What were your expectations at for this season before it started. I saw M McC saying on telly that ye were expected to be down around the bottom. Is that true?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Good post.

The first I saw of Ward was in an U21 game and he played as the striker role. He was the best player on the pitch. Great touch, awareness and held the ball up well. I couldn't believe he played a lot in midfield for Bohs as he certainly doesn't look like a player that could play in midfield.

On Potter, I'm encouraged by the fact that Benitez rated him so highly. He was playing on the right most of the time though and didn't impress. Good to see he's playing deeper for Wolves as we could do with 1 or 2 of those type of players.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Excellent Post Wolf! However, if Wolves do get promoted, can Keogh, Potter and Ward expect to be vying for 1st team positions or will McCarthy look to get more experienced guys on board? For sure, one or two of them would lose out, but which do you think it would be?
    'And Crouch must score'

reder
    Quote Originally Posted by DeNiro View Post
    Excellent Post Wolf! However, if Wolves do get promoted, can Keogh, Potter and Ward expect to be vying for 1st team positions or will McCarthy look to get more experienced guys on board? For sure, one or two of them would lose out, but which do you think it would be?
    I'd say they will be in with a shout. Doubt McCarthy will have much to spend on players.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    good post Wolfie, watched the game with interest on Sunday as one of my clients is a mad Wolves fan. His feedback is almost identical to your own. I expect to see Ward come off the bench fairly early tomorrow.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Fabrizio Ravanelli-esque debut!!

Pity the boss didn't give you your head earlier! Just one request, do you think you could get England to pronounce Keogh properly? The Kee-oo version, although better for chants(artistic licence there anyway), is pretty damn annoying. Hope that's not too much to ask!!

Here's an interview with him, seems like a nice guy, makes it a lot easier to give him my support. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_f1g4ziBZk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    I'm up for West Brom myself. Purely because I don't like Mick McCarthy and I'd like to see McShane playing at a higher level than the Championship.
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kingdom hoop View Post
    Just one request, do you think you could get England to pronounce Keogh properly? The Kee-oo version
    ah sure theyve always done it.

Kevin Mor-AN

Paul McGraTH

Id love if Micheal O'Muircheartaigh had played soccer in the English premiership.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Same goes for Darren O'Day
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Aiden McGeddy
    I think I should the parachute, because I'm great.

In fact, I think I should get both parachutes, in case one doesn't work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    And Roy Keane would be pronounced Roy Kane out west.
    I think I should the parachute, because I'm great.

In fact, I think I should get both parachutes, in case one doesn't work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Lets hope we beat the f*cking baggie ****e tomorrow (I think we should get George Ndah back for tomorrow's match )
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Same goes for Darren O'Day
    which rhymes with Richard Sad-lee-yay (Sadlier)

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Welcome Wolfie. Looks like we have another Crafty Toe Poke in our midst. That's a good thing by the way. Good luck tonight.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Will like to see wolves through also, as I believe that there is a good chance McShane will play top flight football next season one way or another. However, a team with gary breen (and an ageing one at that) never inspire confidence in me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Great post Wolfie. Watched Wolves last two games and have been really impressed with Keogh. I really fancy Wolves tonight although they are the underdogs.
    Always look on the bright side of life

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    I'm not sure If Wolves getting promoted would be the best thing at present for any of the Irish players there. I honestly believe that Keogh, Gleeson, Ward and Potter would possibly benefit more from another season in the Championship and could only really see Keogh at present being up to the demands of the Premiership. The others would seriously struggle.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Well it's the day of reckoning and the crate of Magners (Bulmers to most of you) is ready and waiting to be opened. Have to say that I'm nervous as f**k and just can't wait to get out of work - going to watch the first game beforehand on Skyplus to get proper in the mood. Are you watching it Worm? (Good to see a fellow Irish Wolf on the site).

In all honesty, whatever happens it's been a great season. We lost 13 first team players pre-season and there was a real fear among many that we would go down. However, having blended cheap young players with youth team talent we have gelled amazingly and the best is yet to come (providing we don't sell them)

If we do do up, I have no doubt that Keogh and Potter could cut it, as they are both footballers with a good touch and an inate ability to find space. Our big weakess is a lack of pace at the back as was evident with Breen getting skinned regularly on Sunday. A couple of quick defenders, Billy Sharp & possibly Roy O'Donovan (How highly is he rated? - saw him play for the U21's and he looked lightening quick as a winger) and there's no reason why we couldn't emulate Reading.

Finally, as annoying as the pronunciation of Kee-oo is, if anyone has ever been to Wolverhampton - the only place I know where town has two syllables (tow-wen?) - you will realise that they are lucky that they can pronounce it at all.

Cheers for the friendly posts by the way - it's much appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast