Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Best one hit wonders

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz View Post
    The first song that pops into my head when i hear one hit wonder is the classic "Come on Eileen" ...... tura lura tura lura yay

And Mambo no.5. I know he had that other one but it was practically the same song - 6,7,8,9,10!!
    As pointed out earlier in the thread Come On Eileen isn't even their only No.1. let alone their only hit.

This is just for you....

" I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Originally Posted by Wolfie

The Breeders - Cannonball

(Their one notable tune anyway) !!
    Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz View Post
    Thought Damien Rice sang that!!
    Same title - two entirely different tunes.
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shannonman View Post
    The scatman...think it was b scatman john?
    no jokes about poo!
    He'd a second hit which actually wasn't too bad.
    City definetly have the best bands playing at half-time.

O'Bama - "Eerah yeah, I'd say we can alright!"

G.O'Mahoney Trapattoni'll sort ém out!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Did Sigue Sigue Spuntnik release anything after 'Love Missile F1-11' ?
    Class tune that brings back certain... eh... memories of a certain young lady (who's no longer that young obviously) dont remember them having any further chart success, though i'm sure someone here can correct me on that one!!
    Thomas Davis have said they will be the last man standing, they were WRONG!!

SRFC will NEVER die!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Only one of note anyway.I think the follow up scraped into the top thirty.
    Ceci n'est pas une signature

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DvB View Post
    Did Sigue Sigue Spuntnik release anything after 'Love Missile F1-11' ?
    Class tune that brings back certain... eh... memories of a certain young lady (who's no longer that young obviously) dont remember them having any further chart success, though i'm sure someone here can correct me on that one!!
    Love Missile F1-11 was a no.3 placed single in Feb-march 1986.

21st Century Boy (for my money a better tune than Love Missile F1-11 -especially the 12") was a top twenty placed single in summer 1986 -can't remember the exact placing but would've been around no. 12, 13, or 14. It didn't get anything like the airplay or attention that Love Missile F1-11 got.

But then again what did? I recall that all that ever seemed to be on the radio at the time was Papa Don't fcuking well Preach, Whams 'Edge of Heaven' or Jaki Grahams 'Set Me Free' (there's one that stood the test of time)

At about the same time they released the 21st Century Boy single they released the album Flaunt It which, although sold poorly, reached no.7 I think.

They were also, allegedly, into the black from the moment the first copy of the album was bought as they'd sold advertising space between each song (I'm serious!!!) on the album and had covered the production costs with the ads. I only remember one ad ...think it was for Wella hair mouse/gel.

There was at least one more single (Rocket Baby or similar title) later in the autumn from the album that didn't chart at all.

They had a brief, insipid return to the charts a couple of years later (88 or 89) with the vile Stock, Aitken & Waterman produced (Cheques from) 'Success' which scraped the lower top 40.

They're still going in some shape or form. Worth a google. I've a couple of vids in my youtube favourites. Will root them out and edit here.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    There you go. A quick search shows that 21st Century Boy peaked at 20.

Wasn't their '88 'comeback' branded as their 'serious' return, to the extent that the cover had 'This time we mean it' or something written on it.

Oh, and don't dis 'Papa don't preach'.

God, even typing 'dis', I feel like a forty year old Dad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by noby View Post
    There you go. A quick search shows that 21st Century Boy peaked at 20.

Wasn't their '88 'comeback' branded as their 'serious' return, to the extent that the cover had 'This time we mean it' or something written on it.

Oh, and don't dis 'Papa don't preach'.

God, even typing 'dis', I feel like a forty year old Dad.
    I just read that too about 21st Century Boys chart placing ...but remember it differently. Maybe it was that there was copies of Smash Hits and No.1 magazine coming into my house at the time (look I was 13 and anyway both were still music mags and a full two years away from doubling the font size and dealing with little but australian soaps). No.1 published a different sourced chart from the one TOTP used. (not that it matters a rats ass of course but while we're being nerdy )

Papa Don't Preach was vile. Never even mind the dodgy knack power mixed messages "it's-cool-and-in-your-face-to-be-teenage-and-pregnant" it was doling out while others were trying to highlight the emerging HIV/AIDS problem. It was just a horrible, nasty record.

Not as bad as True Blue I'll give you though. That one made me question my love for girls arses for a time. It's dead to me

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Ritchie View Post
    Love Missile F1-11 was a no.3 placed single in Feb-march 1986.

21st Century Boy (for my money a better tune than Love Missile F1-11 -especially the 12") was a top twenty placed single in summer 1986 -can't remember the exact placing but would've been around no. 12, 13, or 14. It didn't get anything like the airplay or attention that Love Missile F1-11 got.

But then again what did? I recall that all that ever seemed to be on the radio at the time was Papa Don't fcuking well Preach, Whams 'Edge of Heaven' or Jaki Grahams 'Set Me Free' (there's one that stood the test of time)

At about the same time they released the 21st Century Boy single they released the album Flaunt It which, although sold poorly, reached no.7 I think.

They were also, allegedly, into the black from the moment the first copy of the album was bought as they'd sold advertising space between each song (I'm serious!!!) on the album and had covered the production costs with the ads. I only remember one ad ...think it was for Wella hair mouse/gel.

There was at least one more single (Rocket Baby or similar title) later in the autumn from the album that didn't chart at all.

They had a brief, insipid return to the charts a couple of years later (88 or 89) with the vile Stock, Aitken & Waterman produced (Cheques from) 'Success' which scraped the lower top 40.

They're still going in some shape or form. Worth a google. I've a couple of vids in my youtube favourites. Will root them out and edit here.
    Ah yes, remember it now!! Had completely forgotten that track, pretty sure i have the 12", next time i'm back visiting the folks i must check through all the vinyl i left there!

Cheers for that btw!
    Thomas Davis have said they will be the last man standing, they were WRONG!!

SRFC will NEVER die!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Ritchie View Post

Papa Don't Preach was vile. Never even mind the dodgy knack power mixed messages "it's-cool-and-in-your-face-to-be-teenage-and-pregnant" it was doling out while others were trying to highlight the emerging HIV/AIDS problem. It was just a horrible, nasty record.
    Oh please. All tastes aside, don't give me that 'everyone was trying to highlight HIV' crap. How about a few credible examples? In 1986 it was still a bit of a taboo subject, especially in the pop world.
    And that's ignoring the whole teenage pregnancy/HIV connection you're implying. Come on Lionel. I have a lot of time for your posts, but that's a bit lazy.
    Last edited by noby; 31/08/2007 at 10:34 PM. Reason: typos. punctuation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by noby View Post
    Oh please. All tastes aside, don't give me that 'everyone was trying to highlight HIV' crap. How about a few credible examples? In 1986 it was still a bit of a taboo subject, especially in the pop world.
    And that's ignoring the whole teenage pregnancy/HIV connection you're implying. Come on Lionel. I have a lot of time for your posts, but that's a bit lazy.
    You're right. (Jaysis how often does anyone come back with a retort like that on this board.) I just don't like the fcuking song. I was never a fan of hers but she has this ability to come up with really, really annoying songs occasionally punctuated by an odd remarkably good one. Feb 86 -Borderline -a classic little pop song, May 86 Live to Tell -overdone but not a bad track at all, July 86 Papa Don't Preach - a fcuking car crash of a record from concept to execution, Sep 86 True Blue -disgusting song with a trauma-inducing video, Nov 86 Open Your Heart -will you just shut UP you crazy bitch!!! (...think I slapped a plate off a TV one hormone-driven day in late 86 because of that one) ...everything after that for the next two years until the absolutely charming Dear Jesse in late 88 was absolutely vile.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Fair dues.
    You're spot on with the rest of her mid-to-late-eighties output though. Like a prayer was the big redeemer in '89.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    the had a top40 1 hit wonders on 2fm. as far as i can remember 99 big red baloons won

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    A great song. Don't know if she ever specified that they were big, though.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,256 Posts
    No, just 99 red balloons.

And just 99 balloons in the original German version (99 Luftballons)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    No, just 99 red balloons.

And just 99 balloons in the original German version (99 Luftballons)
    ah here ya knew what i was on about

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    My nomination is
    Plastic Bertrand "Ça plane pour moi"

Billsthoughts --- Louis Louis..The Kingsmen... runs away with it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in