Page 1 of 42 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Cricket World Cup 2007

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Cricket World Cup 2007

The tournament is underway with Pakistan facing the West Indies at Sabina Park in Kingston. After 26 overs, WI are 78-3, a score which suggests that mammoth totals may not predominate as some have predicted. Without being too parochial, a Pakistan victory would probably suit Ireland best in this game, as the West Indies would be perceived as the more vulnerable of the seeds in Group D.
    A leading authority on League of Ireland football since 2003. You're probably wrong.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    West Indies defeated Pakistan by 54 runs. After posting a moderate total of 241, WI throttled Pakistan's batting order, aided by their opponents' failure to pace their innings correctly. Dwayne Smith (32 and 3-36) was ajudged man of the match.
    A leading authority on League of Ireland football since 2003. You're probably wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    When's Ireland's first match?
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Thursday, vs. Zimbabwe.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    It's a disgrace that you can't even see highlights of the Ireland games on Rte,not a mention anywhere.
    MOT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Highlights are on every night on BBC1 around about 11pm if you have access to that channel.

Coverage that the BBC provide is miles better than RTÉ could have done - could you imagine Ger Canning commentating on cricket?
    Kom Igen, FCK...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Yeah,I know that but the point is they haven't even bothered to give the Irish team any coverage here in our own country.
    MOT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Réiteoir View Post
    - could you imagine Ger Canning commentating on cricket?
    Unfortunately, I could.

Lara there, immaculate under pressure from the dropping throw ball, drives it down the field.
    Better than Brian Carthy off the radio at least

Brian Charles Lara, in the maroon helmet, shaping up for the ball. His uncle once attended a Roscommon minor county final in Dr. Hyde Park. A right-handed shot and a FOUR, a FOUR! The ball goes OVER the boundary and the West Indies have the first score of the game...

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dublin12 View Post
    Yeah,I know that but the point is they haven't even bothered to give the Irish team any coverage here in our own country.
    Meh. They don't cover Ireland in the tiddlywinks world championships either, no-one cares. It's cricket like. The demand here is hugely limited, especially with the Beeb and Sky (?) covering it anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I can see the nation coming to a standstill alright. I can see plenty of emotion when the Irish cricket team takes to the oval!!
    Never play leapfrog with a unicorn!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Never mind Carthy.

Imagine Michéal Ó Muiricheathaigh

And now at the wicket we have Brían Ó Laoighre, an outstanding exponent of the game. He looks to the left, he looks to the right. Anois, fear cumhachtach don Pakistan, Waism Ackraim, leis an liathróid, racing down toward the crease. Lara lets fly, suas, suas, suas leis an Liathróid, he's hit it high, but he's hit it wide, but in this game, that doesn't matter, because he's hit it out over the boundary, sé don fear gorm Seamécánigh, and the Western Indies are chun tosaigh anois, the Western Indies of course being a good deal to the West of the Aran Islands and the Blaskets, but any of you listening to this game on Inishvickilaun, you'll be sure to feel that they are only a sliotar's puck away now. Well, while I've have been talking, a young man in the crowd has thrown down the willow ball to the waiting Pakistani fielder, the willow is a noble wood - not nearly so noble of course as our own ash, noblest of woods that it is, but a noble wood nonetheless..........
    That question was less stupid, though you asked it in a profoundly stupid way.

Help me, Arthur Murphy, you're my only hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    I bow to no one. bar Bluebeard and Mr A

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I read the team captain's quotes in the IT today, sounds like he is delving deep into Big Jack's psychology of the 'game plan'.

"They (west indies) got very good players out by applying pressure," says Johnston. "That's what we have to do. We have to bore them out."
    "You don't have to be Einstein to work out our strength is our batting," says Johnston. "We've caused some huge upsets chasing."
    "We don't want to get too funky about it, we need to play well to our game plan and not mess with blokes' heads too much, because that's when it can go haywire."

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Meh. They don't cover Ireland in the tiddlywinks world championships either, no-one cares. It's cricket like. The demand here is hugely limited, especially with the Beeb and Sky (?) covering it anyway.
    Don't RTE cover hockey? to an extent. Equally small if not smaller demand in this country.
    Getting quite a few pages in the Echo down here in Cork, surprising, but welcome all the same.
    "Must you tell me all your secrets when it's hard enough to love you knowing nothing."

http://worddok.blogspot.com

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    424 Posts
    Newstalk have a reporter out there doing updates everyday. Was listening to the breakfast show for a bit this morning. They assured listeners that the reporter was on a serious mission to cover the cricket and not a trip of a lifetime junket, some very jealous presenters me thinks.

I think we're going to win today too. By a decent margin.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebeard View Post
    And now at the wicket we have Brían Ó Laoighre, an outstanding exponent of the game. He looks to the left, he looks to the right. Anois, fear cumhachtach don Pakistan, Waism Ackraim, leis an liathróid, racing down toward the crease. Lara lets fly, suas, suas, suas leis an Liathróid, he's hit it high, but he's hit it wide, but in this game, that doesn't matter, because he's hit it out over the boundary, sé don fear gorm Seamécánigh, and the Western Indies are chun tosaigh anois, the Western Indies of course being a good deal to the West of the Aran Islands and the Blaskets, but any of you listening to this game on Inishvickilaun, you'll be sure to feel that they are only a sliotar's puck away now. Well, while I've have been talking, a young man in the crowd has thrown down the willow ball to the waiting Pakistani fielder, the willow is a noble wood - not nearly so noble of course as our own ash, noblest of woods that it is, but a noble wood nonetheless..........

Some tripe being spouted in this thread. The Cricket World Cup is by orders of magnitude a bigger event than its egg-chasing equivalent, and far more so than that 6 Nations thing which has been infesting the national media recently. There were showing a schools rugby match on Setanta yesterday ffs, an event which is little more than an elaborate homoerotic fantasy for repressed middle-class males with an unhealthy fixation on schoolboys in shorts.

Australia beat Scotland with ease at the CWC yesterday, and Canada started brightly against Kenya before slumping to a seven wicket defeat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post

Some tripe being spouted in this thread.
    It pains me to say it but I agree with my right honourable friend. The amount of plastic patriots with obligatory chips-on-shoulders deriding our national, all-island cricket team is pathetic.

Unlike the mercenaries in the FAIreland team, the cricket team have performed brilliantly in recent years and actually qualified for the World Cup.

The irony of this St. Patrick's day seeing the 2 most of British of games being played by Irish teams at the very highest level is quite sweet. And I say that as an long-term armchair Republican. Then again, maybe I see being a Republican in different, more inclusive terms than paranoid GAA people.

KOH
    No One Likes Us, We Don't Care

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    No interest in the sport but hope Ireland do well. Two Rovers fans out there are enjoying themselves immensely

KOH

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dublin12 View Post
    Actually - John Kenny is out there for RTÉ filing reports and updates to be broadcast during the day.

RTÉ can't offer live commentary as they aren't rights holders for coverage - so reports is all they can do.

Apparently they've also got a camera crew out there with a fella called Robbie Irwin

Just going back to the Canning thing - imagine Brian Carthy doing the commentary in his very annoying nasal style.

Lara looks up, hits it - to the left and wide...

IT'S A RUN FOR LARA, IT'S A RUUUUUN FOR THE COUNTY OF THE WEST INDIES!
    Kom Igen, FCK...

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by razor View Post
    Don't RTE cover hockey? to an extent. Equally small if not smaller demand in this country.
    Getting quite a few pages in the Echo down here in Cork, surprising, but welcome all the same.
    They cover a few major matches, usually from the national stadium in Belfield about a mile down the road. They've also been known to cover basketball on occasion. In neither instance, however, were the matches being shown on two other channels and in neither instance do the games last an entire day. RTÉ News had a section on the tournament yesterday I think and will be providing some cover, I'm sure.

Best of luck to them, but in the end of the day, it's a rather tedious, minority sport (nothing to do with it being English, just stating my opinion and the opinion of most of the country, it would seem), and if it isn't commercially feasible to send unknowledgeable commentators half way across the world to bring a sport very few people care about which two other channels are bringing us, then you can't really argue with that, to be honest.

Page 1 of 42 12311 ... LastLast