Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: Darren O’Dea

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    it's a strange move from Warnock, O'Dea's only missed two games this year for Leeds, which he was suspended for after collecting 10 bookings, but he was straight back into the starting XI after that
    Beyond strange piece of flip-flopping by Warnock. Not a fortnight ago he was saying one of his first tasks at the end of the season was securing Darren O'Dea's signature. Then he got sent off late on against Blackpool and this is Warnocks reaction.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    He's not up for international level football from what I've seen of him. Very slow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    A good defender can get by with a little less pace if they can read the game well and they have a quick partner. I think he reads the game reasonably well, but possibly not well enough.

O'Dea has fine attributes for a centre back in his strength and fearlessness, but he is quite inconsistent based on reports and my own observation of him.

If he leaves Celtic, which he should in my opinion, he'll have no problem finding a club based on his experience alone. Unfortunately, the highest level he can probably hope for is Championship.
    End Apartheid Now! One Team in Ireland!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    A LoI club could take him on loan during May if they can get Celtic to pay most of his wages. It'd be good publicity.
    Although a nice idea, I think O'Dea sticking at Celtic for the rest of the season, and having a small rest from matches wouldn't be the worst thing ahead of the Euros. Especially as he more or less played every game for Leeds up til now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Don't rate him too much. I would like to see what Alex Pearce is made of.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    858 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapAPony View Post
    I would like to see what Alex Pearce is made of.
    So would I, will be a Prem player next year also. Reading lost their CB captain before this season started but Pearce seems to have stepped up with a bit to spare.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/od...o-3096660.html
    DARREN O’DEA admits that he’s in limbo when it comes to his club career as he faces into a nervous few weeks.
    The Ireland international was given an early summer holiday as Leeds United - O’Dea had been on loan there from Celtic - allowed him leave the club before the Championship season ended last weekend - so he’s effectively been on holidays for the last ten days.

Celtic have yet to declare if they want to retain the Dubliner, but he’s very much focused on the Euro 2012 finals and O’Dea, who could be technically club-less when he travels to Poland in June, insists that he’s not just using the European Championship finals as a shop window to get himself a club.

“I wouldn’t just see it as a shop window, I am there to play for Ireland and represent Ireland, it could be a case of patience for me now,” O’Dea told the Evening Herald this week, having severed his ties with Leeds after a season-long loan deal.

“With the Euros on the way, who knows what could happen for me if I get to play there, it could open up lots of doors for me. It will probably be a move to England, I can't see myself going to a Scottish club at this stage.

“People do call a tournament like Euro 2012 a shop window, but international football in general is a chance to show what you can do.

Qualifiers
    “I’ve played in some of the qualifiers and a lot of the friendly games, and it’s a great stage to test yourself, it’s a great thing to have on your CV, having played in the likes of Moscow or Macedonia in the qualifiers, so I’m not just going out there trying to do well on a personal level to get myself a club,” added O’Dea, who made his competitive debut in the home win over Macedonia and made four appearances in the qualifiers.

The 25-year-old knows that if fit, Richard Dunne and Sean St Ledger will start the tournament in central defence and O’Dea is hoping that Dunne comes through the rehab from his shoulder injury and is cleared to play.
    “I want Ireland to do as well as we can and do that we need our best players, so I want Dunney to be fit. But if he’s not I would like to step in. I can’t see Richard being out, it’s his shoulder and not a hamstring or anything like that,” he says.

“Once you get to Poland anything could happen, suspensions or injury, and I just have to be ready. I know I might not get to play at all but I am ready for that too and once the team does well, that's all that matters.”
    But O’Dea’s club situation is confusing: Leeds hired him on a loan deal from Celtic but two weeks ago manager Neil Warnock said that the club would not be signing the Dubliner on a long-term basis.

“Celtic have a year’s option on me and they have to make it known before the end of May whether they will want to exercise that,” he said. “I can’t do much until then, if Celtic don’t take that option I will be a free agent and it should be easy enough to get a new club, it’s just down to me to decide what to do. If Celtic do take up that year’s option then it's more complicated because they would be involved in terms of what happens next,” he says.

“I’m 25 now so Celtic wouldn’t be entitled to compensation if I went on a free, so what they could do is take up the year's option and then try and sell me, which they could well decide to do. “In January there were a couple of options in terms of a move but I had signed for Leeds for the season so I couldn't go in the end.

“I played 40-odd games for Leeds, I played a lot of the internationals so I feel as if I’m in a strong position, if Celtic don’t take up that option on me I’d be confident of finding a good club but I’ll only find that out when Celtic make up their minds.”

8. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Released by Celtic. Good news as it should make it a lot easier for him to find a club.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...317057539.html

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    The long goodbye has an amicable closure.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Will Darren be off to join Inter Milan (I can't actually remember who it was) like Gary Breen was supposed to be after one of the tournaments. Apologies for being a bit light on detail !

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Nope. Its Paul Green whos headed there.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

13. Thanks From:

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    858 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Will Darren be off to join Inter Milan (I can't actually remember who it was) like Gary Breen was supposed to be after one of the tournaments. Apologies for being a bit light on detail !
    It was Gary, but I think it was Barcelona he was linked with, at the time I think it was the West Ham team he couldn't get in. The quality of his performances in green upset Glenn Roeder terribly I remember. Funny.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    425 Posts
    I was looking at the old threads on heat the other day when someone linked to the Saipan thing and it claimed he turned down €50,000 a week from Roma to sign for West Ham. I car defintiely see Paul Green getting a big money move to Juventus.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Its Darren and Paul to Barcelona then.

In fairness Barcelona could have done with Darren against chelsea. Were Barcelona playing that midget(Tempory memory loss of his name) that used to play for Liverpool at centre back. It beggars belief that a club the size of Barcelona had so little cover at centreback.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Simon Grayson is a bit of a fan of Darren O'Dea. WOuldn't be a bit surprised to see him end up at Huddersfield, who have been promoted to the Championship.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Its Darren and Paul to Barcelona then.

In fairness Barcelona could have done with Darren against chelsea. Were Barcelona playing that midget(Tempory memory loss of his name) that used to play for Liverpool at centre back. It beggars belief that a club the size of Barcelona had so little cover at centreback.
    Fernando Torres probably stilll would have left O'Dea for dead and scored. As much as I like O'Dea's tough old-fashioned centre back style, he does seem a bit too sluggish at times.
    End Apartheid Now! One Team in Ireland!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,315 Posts
    O'Dea linked with a move to Bolton, Peterborough and Burnley: http://www1.skysports.com/football/n...English-return
    Story is a fortnight old, can't find anything more recent
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,315 Posts
    Darren has signed for Toronto FC: http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2012/08...-o%E2%80%99dea
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

21. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Dear God. What a terrible move.

23. Thanks From:

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    His career is over. Toronto FC are a cursed franchise.

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast