Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Darren O’Dea

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Different types of players - McShane has been described in the Kevin Moran mould, O'Dea would be pereceived as havibng more finesse.

A year and a half ago O'Dea had played superbly in a CL last 16 game at the San Siro.

I'd say both looked better then.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Can't say I ever remember O'Dea having a bad game. He just hasnt got that much game time but whenever he does get it he impresses. Think he is seriously thinking of getting out of Celtic Park if he is not getting regular football next season.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post
    McShanes just low on confidence right now, I'd say McShane a year and a half ago looked better than O'Dea now.
    If McShane, as you suggest looked better a year and a half ago than O'Dea is now, then God help us!

Both are little more than squad players for their clubs

McShane is low on ability, not confidence, he's been found out, He's fast becoming the Douglas Bader of Football!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the doc View Post
    If McShane, as you suggest looked better a year and a half ago than O'Dea is now, then God help us!
    A year and a half ago, McShane had just moved from the Championship to the Premiership with Sunderland as one of Roy Keane's first close season signings, had made his debut for Ireland, and was looking good.

O'Dea has spent the last 2 season as a barely used substitute.

So yeah, McShane did look better 18 months ago than O'Dea does now.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I can't emphasise enough to people how good a player it would take to get Stephen McManus out of Strachan's team. He's the captain of the team. If a player came through the ranks to displace him you're pretty much writing McManus' Celtic career off. It's really impossible to say how highly Strachan rates him but McManus has gone through his career so far under Strachan without injury so we've not had a chance to see O'Dea get a decent run at centre half. I would take a lot of encouragement out of him helping Celtic keep AC Milan scoreless for 180 minutes though. A bad defender could have very easily embarassed that Celtic team over those 2 legs.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    In a way its a pity that loan move to Burnley did not go ahead.

Darren needs some first team football but he is still young for a centre back but as I said he needs some first team football.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    In a way its a pity that loan move to Burnley did not go ahead.

Darren needs some first team football but he is still young for a centre back but as I said he needs some first team football.
    I think playing such a key role in a cup win will be good for his career long-term, even if he doesn't stay with Celtic.

I agree that he needs to seek out a new home for next season though if Strachan doesn't guarantee him first team football.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    I can't emphasise enough to people how good a player it would take to get Stephen McManus out of Strachan's team. He's the captain of the team. If a player came through the ranks to displace him you're pretty much writing McManus' Celtic career off. It's really impossible to say how highly Strachan rates him but McManus has gone through his career so far under Strachan without injury so we've not had a chance to see O'Dea get a decent run at centre half. I would take a lot of encouragement out of him helping Celtic keep AC Milan scoreless for 180 minutes though. A bad defender could have very easily embarassed that Celtic team over those 2 legs.
    Maybe it is semantics but are you saying McManus is really THAT good or just that Strachan really rates him.

Darren O'Dea has really impressed when I've seen him on tv. McManus looks very average to me. Now I appreciate Strachan has won the league every season and looks like doing so again. I would take it as apositive that he really rates McManus as it probably means he could still really rate O'Dea.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gspain View Post
    Maybe it is semantics but are you saying McManus is really THAT good or just that Strachan really rates him.

Darren O'Dea has really impressed when I've seen him on tv. McManus looks very average to me. Now I appreciate Strachan has won the league every season and looks like doing so again. I would take it as apositive that he really rates McManus as it probably means he could still really rate O'Dea.
    I suspect he's saying that McManus' leadership material makes him undroppable. I'd agree. I think he's limited as a player but he has the kind of attitude we could do with. I reckon Paddy McCarthy is the most similar of the younger Irish.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gspain View Post
    The latter. I think O'Dea is a lot better than McManus was at the same age. I think with a run of games it's possible that O'Dea is already at the level McManus currently is. But McManus is Strachan's captain at the peak of his career. The only way McManus is going to be displaced is if Strachan spent £6m+ on a proven international class left sided central defender. For O'Dea to become first choice at Celtic McManus would basically have to be sold.

On McManus - I've never had as much difficulty trying to rate a player. He's just a very solid player but even when he looks solid his team are capable of conceding 3 or 4. If McManus was 1 of your 2 central defenders, I think the central defence would be as good as his partner. McManus beside Nesta would be top class. McManus beside John O'Shea wouldn't be great. While a really good player could form a good partnership with O'Shea.

If that makes sense...
    Last edited by eirebhoy; 23/03/2009 at 6:58 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    The latter. I think O'Dea is a lot better than McManus was at the same age. I think with a run of games it's possible that O'Dea is already at the level McManus currently is. But McManus is Strachan's captain at the peak of his career. The only way McManus is going to be displaced is if Strachan spent £6m+ on a proven international class left sided central defender. For O'Dea to become first choice at Celtic McManus would basically have to be sold.

On McManus - I've never had as much difficulty trying to rate a player. He's just a very solid player but even when he looks solid his team are capable of conceding 3 or 4. If McManus was 1 of your 2 central defenders, I think the central defence would be as good as his partner. McManus beside Nesta would be top class. McManus beside John O'Shea wouldn't be great. While a really good player could form a good partnership with O'Shea.

If that makes sense...
    I agree with much of the above. Basically, I think what you are saying is that McManus does not set the tone for the defence - which I suppose seems strange given that he is the club captain, but there you go. Another reason is that O'Dea is left-footed and Strachan probably would not want two left-footed players to make up the partnership in central defence.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
    I agree with much of the above. Basically, I think what you are saying is that McManus does not set the tone for the defence - which I suppose seems strange given that he is the club captain, but there you go. Another reason is that O'Dea is left-footed and Strachan probably would not want two left-footed players to make up the partnership in central defence.
    Definitely no way there would be 2 leftfooters in the centre of the Celtic defence.

Seems valid enough but as McManus never seems to be injured it would make sense for O'Dea to move on unless he can nail down the left back spot.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    I think playing such a key role in a cup win will be good for his career long-term, even if he doesn't stay with Celtic.

I agree that he needs to seek out a new home for next season though if Strachan doesn't guarantee him first team football.
    Nice to see him play in a cup final alright but sometimes you can't have everything.
    It might have been better if he had gone to a good championship club(Burnley) with a very promising manager and gotten a series of games with a club fighting to get into the play offs.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Ironically McManus has pulled out of the Scotland squad today with an injury
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Reserves
    Punta Arenas, Puerto Montt & everywhere in between
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    Scored in 90th minute for Celtic tonight

on a side note McCourt came on in the 82nd minute replacing Nakamura.
    Last edited by WexCar; 08/04/2009 at 10:33 PM.
    "U've figured how to work the Google on the internet machine"

Reserves
    Punta Arenas, Puerto Montt & everywhere in between
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    Just thought I'd bump his thread to see what peoples thoughts on how he will get on this year, with a change of management at the club he has a chance to make a fresh case for himself.
    "U've figured how to work the Google on the internet machine"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Pity he's injured because there's a good chance that Celtic won't have 1 centre half available for the first game of the season. McManus is definitely out, Caldwell suspended, Misun out for months and Loovens has a disciplinary meeting in a couple of weeks.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    What's the story with his injury?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    There's no news at all on his injury. He's been injured over the summer.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    [QUOTE=eirebhoy;1196022]Pity he's injured because there's a good chance that Celtic won't have 1 centre half available for the first game of the season. QUOTE]

I've a feeling they will have more than one!

Whats Celtic's current CB's and Defenders like anyhow?

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast