Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Darren O’Dea

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    On a semi-unrelated note, I see Henrik Larsson recently got into management in the Swedish second division. No idea if he's any good or not, but it looks like Celtic will be relying a lot more on ex-players to manage in future if they can't spend the same kind of money as the teams down south.
    He did say he was interested in returning to Celtic in a coaching role a few months ago. He's managing a team called Landskrona BoIS and it looks like they're a pretty average second division side (they finished 8th last season in a league of 16). He hasn't managed any competitive games yet, but his first game in charge is at 4pm on Saturday, might be worth looking out for the result if he's potentially a future Celtic manager. He only signed a 1 year contract with the current side.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    I know we are going really off topic here but I think Larsson is wise enough not to rush in to the Celtic job at the first opportunity. Idolised by 1000's for a fabulous career in the hoops, no way he would risk that by having a Mowbrayesque type start to a Celtic managerial career. He may one day be manager but I hope its after many more years of learning the ropes...... Incidentally, former player, Alan Thompson (Reserve team Coach at Newcastle) is getting linked with teaming up with Neil Lennon, I wonder if that will still be on the cards now they have secured Premiership football next season?
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    I saw him in the Old Firm game last night. Part of an extremely shakey defence and almost gave away one goal by a poor pass back to the keeper. I don't think he'll ever make a top player I am afraid. McGeady wasn't great either
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    That's an awfully quick judgement to make on a player. He's only played a handful of games and you're writing him off already, which is especially harsh as he was playing against by far the best team in the league.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Owls has probably sunk into a dark space since Sunday, it all looks pointless right now.

O'Dea lost his composure at times with some poor decisions, maybe the 'franticity' of the game had him on the edge. But there's some hope in that he got away with a blatant enough hand ball at the end.
    You can't buy that fortune. His CH partner last night was Wilson.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    I don't think playing alongside Wilson at centre-half did him any favours. Wilson is an out and out fullback and it's a sign of how weak Celtic are in that position that Lennon even considered playing Wilson there.

I'm willing to give O'Dea the benefit of the doubt. Hopefully he can earn the starting role at centre-half for Celtic full time next season.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Looks likely to sign for Ipswich on loan. Bit of a surprise that. Could be a good move for him.
    Last edited by Noelys Guitar; 14/08/2010 at 7:40 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelys Guitar View Post
    Looks likely to sign for Ipswich on loan. Bit of a surprise that. Could be a good move for him.
    Great move if it pans out. Although I thought the same thing when he turned up at Reading. This guy needs some serious game time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Surprised as O'Dea is very friendly with Owen Garvan, who surely would have warned him of Keane antics. Very few irish players have managed to have a successful career under Keane, especially Dubs.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    No, stay away from Keane!!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    he had one outstanding game against AC Milan for us over in Milan in the Champions League plus he scored a bellter of a header against Rangers in the CIS cup final for us in Strachans final game in charge, but other than that he has been woefull for us but everybody at Celtic loves him because hes a Richard Dunne kinda guy who takes the ball the man and anything else thats in sight.

He's best mates with McGeady too so hopefully McGeady will give him a wedge of cash to be his bodyguard over in Moscow. old pals act and all that.

McGeady was rarely off the front pages of the scottish tabloids for being attacked by Rangers supporters and O'Dea scelped most of them.

We actually had a a minted song last year DARREN ODEA SCELPED A HUN, DARREN O'DEA SCELPED A HUN. and so on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aidinho View Post
    he had one outstanding game against AC Milan for us over in Milan in the Champions League plus he scored a bellter of a header against Rangers in the CIS cup final for us in Strachans final game in charge, but other than that he has been woefull for us but everybody at Celtic loves him because hes a Richard Dunne kinda guy who takes the ball the man and anything else thats in sight.
    As you have alluded to, his performances in the 2006/07 season pointed to a very bright future in the game, with his game against AC Milan being particularly noteworthy, given his inexperience. Indeed, it even attracted plaudits from none other than the great Paolo Maldini. Given this context, I'm actually surprised that O'Dea's progress seems to have stalled, and believe the loan deal will actually do him the world of good.

I don't share the distaste for Mr. Keane displayed by some on here , and feel he could do well under his tutelage.
    Last edited by The Fly; 16/08/2010 at 3:22 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Well he played a full game yesterday in the ipswich's away win against Crystal Palace.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Not much comment about his performance. I thought he looked shakey enough at times. I also see Roy had a rant at Trap for playing him for over 45 minutes and then getting injured. Stop in a teacup really as he then played on Saturday in a losing Ipswich team:

Independent.ie

Keane vents fury after Trapattoni snubs O'Dea request
    By Daniel McDonnell

Friday November 19 2010

ROY KEANE has hit out at the FAI and Giovanni Trapattoni, claiming they ignored a request to give defender Darren O'Dea just 45 minutes of action in Wednesday's friendly with Norway. The Celtic defender is currently on loan at Ipswich and the Aviva Stadium encounter marked his return from a six-week lay-off.

Keane and his staff were satisfied that the game provided O'Dea with a chance to return, but had asked that he play just one half.Therefore, the Corkman is furious that O'Dea continued until the 67th minute when he was forced off with a hamstring complaint that could halt his comeback at club level.
    "Things aren't going our way and people are taking the mick out of us. We're not happy on that side of it," said Keane yesterday."We have a player who hasn't played for six weeks and we make a request to Ireland that he has 45 minutes and he ended up playing 67 minutes and coming off with a tight hamstring. No no, we're not happy."

O'Dea benefited from an Irish injury crisis to win his third cap for his country. He has impressed in East Anglia during his temporary switch from Scotland, but this is his second injury setback arising from an international trip. The Dubliner incurred a setback in training ahead of the trip to Yerevan in
    September, and Keane was aggrieved that O'Dea ended up making the journey when he wasn't going to be involved.

Once again, he was staggered by a Trapattoni decision on Wednesday night. "I watched the game and I couldn't believe he came out for the second
    half," said the former Irish captain, who is under pressure following home defeats to Derby and Barnsley."As I said, he's been injured for us for six weeks and we thought if he goes over and gets a half, that's brilliant," said Keane. "I don't want to stop players going away and playing for their country, but then for them to do that to him... He's been out for six weeks and they probably would have left him on for the 90 unless his hamstring tightened up.

"But that's what you have to put up with sometimes and we're not happy with that," concluded Keane.

- Daniel McDonnell
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    He didn't look to clever for Norwich's first goal. not doing Roy Keane any favours in that respect, however
    another another Irishman Delaney has just levelled it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Seriously, how bad is Darren O'Dea?

How on earth does this joker have international caps...
    roddy collins you're a flanker you're a flanker!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    having a "mare" today. And now Delaney has been sent off.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    O'Dea was absolutely awful for Norwich's first goal

Delaney was awful for his sending off

Keane is almost certainly an awful manager. How he pesists with the same backroom team is a mystery to me. Give it up Roy and go back to dog walking.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    750 Posts
    Have never managed to figure out what O'Dea has done to get so far up the Irish pecking order, he was (is) poor enough for Celtic and isn't impressing in the Championship either. With the likes of Wilson, Clark and potentially Duffy around, as well as Cunningham at LB, i wouldn't expect him to be a fixture in the squad for too much longer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Have never managed to figure out what O'Dea has done to get so far up the Irish pecking order
    A combination of early, enduring promise and a relative lack of options I would imagine. Failing to split a poor Celtic defense from the inside is not the mark of an up-and-comer and he's been poor enough any time I've seen him tbh, albeit I've hardly been stalking his progress. I had hoped a stint in the championship would overcome the bhoy's growth stunt but so far not so good eh.

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast