Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Darren O’Dea

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    Didn't settle? He asked to be called up to the Scotland squad!
    Since when does a player call the shots and ask to be called up?

So what if he has declared for Scotland, doesn't mean he is comfortable with mingling around the natives.

Maybe he wants to play in the EPL. Maybe he has gambling debts, or a girlfriend or both.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    I think it was purely a financial decision. Fox has shown he is a decent enough LB (not superb by any stretch). Whilst Celtic have not made a significant profit but they gained £1.8m in cash which was needed to help fund the recent transfers/loan signings. Mowbray has not been quiet in January you may have noticed! The decision might have been made easier for Mowbray if Fox hadnt 'settled' but I dont know if thats the case.

Mowbrays January signings

Loan
    Keane (Though this is rumoured to have been funded by Dermot Desmond)
    Kamara
    Braafheid

Signed
    Paul Slane
    Rasmussen
    Rogne
    Hooieveld

Obviously St-Ledger never arrived and the deal for Ramis fell through late on, apparently his personal terms increased dramatically late in the day and Celtic walked away.

Good news for O'Dea.
    Last edited by Junior; 02/02/2010 at 8:09 AM.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    I don't know why Celtic got rid of Danny Fox. Doesn't make any sense, he was playing great for them.
    At the risk of talking about Celtic in a O'Dea thread, Charlie Mulgrew at Aberdeen is Celtic nuts, playing well, and his contract is up in the summer, Mowbray might have taken a profit on Fox, brought in this guy from Bayern for a few months cover, and have signed a pre-contract agreement with Mulgrew. Mulgrew can also operate in midfield so even if the Dutch lad is brilliant he can sign them both.

McManus going and not being replaced has to be a great thing for O'Dea. Things look much brighter for him now than when he was farmed out to Reading a few months ago. Excellent news
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Darren didnt even make the bench tonight? Im not aware of any injury or suspension, so its a bit surprising.

Naylor played LB. Loovens and Hooieveld played CB. None of them played particularly well. Brown came on as a LB towards the end (Caddis had already come on as RB). Thompson came on for Hooieveld who pulled a hammy. 3 Defender substitutions and O'Dea nowhere to be seen.........

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    on the bright side that showing means he will be back in the team next week

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    Was sent off late on against Aberdeen. The Celtic defence was shocking.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boovidge View Post
    Was sent off late on against Aberdeen. The Celtic defence was shocking.
    Yep, I watched that game. He (and his colleagues) had an absolute stinker.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Don’t think O'Dea will make it to be honest. If he was good enough he would have his place cemented at Celtic by now. It’s a shame but I had high hopes for this lad a few years back.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FarBeag View Post
    Don’t think O'Dea will make it to be honest. If he was good enough he would have his place cemented at Celtic by now. It’s a shame but I had high hopes for this lad a few years back.
    Celtic will sign St Ledger in the summer, will it be to replace Loovens or O'Dea?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    could replace both the way there playing

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Mowbray impressed with O'Deas impact over the past few games.

Says he still has a lot to learn and partciularly the need to develop his composure and decision making rather than looking to be 100mph and aggessive all the time. No question, he doesnt like the fact that he has two youngsters (23 and 19) as his CB pairing and at least one, if not both, will be making way when the more senior Loovens, Hooieveld are fit.........

Not sure how long Mowbray will be around mind you, to mentor our Darren............

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/...form-1.1013795

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    What i dont understand is how he keeps getting the captains armband, not a dig at O'Dea, but he hasn't exactly been a regular starter this season

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Mowbray sold all the leaders in the team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    The Guardian gave O'Dea man of the match in Celtic's 1-0 win over Hibernian earlier. I watched a replay of the game (don't watch it if you get the chance, dire match).

O'Dea was solid at the back, but picked up a needless yellow card for dissent. Also got involved in some handbags with Nish after a tangle up.

He's got attitude, balls, etc., but hopefully he can use this in a controlled way (I cannot stand players picking up bookings for dissent).
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Yeah dire match alright. O'Dea does have a bit of dig in him which he has shown on numerous occasions for Celtic but I agree with you it needs to be dealt out in a savvy manner. The handbags stuff with Nish was completely of O'Deas own making because he didnt like a firm but fair tackle coming his way. Still it is good see Lenny stick with him at CB, though there were no other CBs on the bench, so hard to say whether he would be a first choice when the rest are back from injury.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Lets be honest about it here if Darren does not soon grasp his opportunity at Celtic then the question has to be asked is he ever going to grasp it.

Centre backs sometimes mature and peak at 25/26 so Darren has some time but opportunity knocks and must be answered as well.

Was there something in the press about Neil Lennon wanting to bring McManus back from Middlesboro next year.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    I didnt hear/read that but there is nothing to suggest Neil Lennon will be in charge next season so I'd like to think he hasnt started commenting on his summer transfer activity just yet!!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior View Post
    I didnt hear/read that but there is nothing to suggest Neil Lennon will be in charge next season so I'd like to think he hasnt started commenting on his summer transfer activity just yet!!
    Thought I saw something about the McManus thing somewhere but cannot remember where so sorry no link.

I cannot see Celtic being inundated with high quality applicants for the job. Supposed Owen Coyle and Martinez(now with Wigan) turned them down last year before the got to Mowbray. There has been a few that have suggested Mark Hughes (Hartson at least) but would he want the job.

So unfortunately the Celtic job is not seen as a Grade 1 job these days, sad but true. If Neil Lennon makes a good fist of it from now until the end of the season and wants the job, Celtic may as well give him a crack at it

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    On a semi-unrelated note, I see Henrik Larsson recently got into management in the Swedish second division. No idea if he's any good or not, but it looks like Celtic will be relying a lot more on ex-players to manage in future if they can't spend the same kind of money as the teams down south.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    I agree that is the likely scenario and also the cheapest option, always an important factor for Celtic Plc! The Celtic Board will still be seething at the £2m compensation paid to WBA for Mowbrays services not to mention the £65k per week for Robbies wages till the end of the season, which has neither helped secure the title nor ensured that attendances remain high (not Robbies fault by the way). Only one Champions League place from 2012 and all Scottish teams will need to cut their cloth accordingly............

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast