Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Darren O’Dea

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Looks like the McManus deal has gone ahead, good news for O'Dea at least.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...-middlesbrough

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior View Post
    He did miss an absolute sitter from about 4 yards out though!
    He didn't miss a sitter, well he did miss a sitter but there was not much he could have done. The ball rebounded at pace off the goalkeeper, bounced off O'Dea's shins and dribbled wide before he could react.
    Let's take the positives - almost perfect attacking positioning
    Last edited by geysir; 26/01/2010 at 12:13 AM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    He didn't miss a sitter, well he did miss a sitter but there was not much he could have done. The ball rebounded at pace off the goalkeeper, bounced off O'Dea's shins and dribbled wide before he could react.
    Let's take the positives - almost perfect attacking positioning
    Fair do's - I agree we are not looking for his clinical finishing skills that is true

I hope he gets a run at the CB position but with the 2 new CB's brought in and the youngster Thomspson getting a few games under his belt there. Loovens to come back from injury as well, I cant help feeling Mowbray might just utilise Darren in the back line and that might be at LB more often than CB.

At least he has a few games to try and nail the CB position as his own before the other CB's are up to match fitness.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Mowbray on the possible departures of Fox (LB) and McManus (CB)

An opportunity has arisen for Danny," said the former Hibernian and West Brom boss.

"I get on very well with Brian Laws, I played with him at Middlesbrough many years ago, we had a conversation and I put the opportunity to Danny.

"It allows me a bit of flexibility in this window to move things around.

"But what I will say about Danny Fox, if nothing happens at Burnley for Danny then there is every chance that as soon as he is fit and available - he's a week or so away now - he will be featuring at left-back in the next game because he is a quality footballer."

Asked if he considered Fox's short time at Celtic to have been a success, Mowbray replied: "I think so. He's a player of high quality but I have to make decisions.

"I have Paul Caddis, Lee Naylor, Darren O'Dea and Mark Wilson, who has played Champions League football at left-back. So there's four players who can play left-back."
    He added: "It's about flexibility for me and trying to prioritise the squad."

Club captain McManus, who has been at the club since he was a youth, was a favourite under old boss Gordon Strachan, now manager of Middlesbrough.

But the 27-year-old has failed to keep his place in the side under Mowbray this term, prompting interest from the Riverside, where Strachan has already taken three former Bhoys in Willo Flood, Chris Killen and Barry Robson.

However, Mowbray insists he rates McManus highly as both a player and a professional, but will not stand in the way of a move if the right deal becomes available.

"I am not resigned to losing Stephen," he said. "I think it is an opportunity for him.

"I will put on record what a fantastic man he is and what a fantastic player he has been for this club and if this deal doesn't happen he will be back on the training ground and striving to get himself in the team.

"He is a great leader of men and they are in shortage but this is an opportunity for him and something that he is exploring and we will wait and see what develops.

"I have just brought in two young centre-halves recently (Josh Thompson and Thomas Rogne), I have brought in Jos Hooiveld, who is left-footed, and I have Darren O'Dea back from Reading.
    "If he goes, I'm sure he will do very well. If he doesn't go, as I said, he will be competing to be in the team and I wouldn't put it past Stephen to see him at the heart of our defence for the rest of the season."

I really think there is more chance of O'Dea playing at LB than CB once things settle down in February. Of the players Mowbray quotes as being able to play LB;

-Naylor is the only natural LB and has been heavily linked with a move away and would be second choice behind Fox.
    -Wilson is a Right Back blighted by injury and since Hinkel arrived is lower down the pecking order and in fact was quoted as being likely to leave in January.
    -Caddis is a great young player who has had limited chances so far (was loaned out last season) though who is also a right sided defender/midfielder.
    -Darren is at least a Left sided player! -I can really see that being the place he ends up playing most.

Either that or the utility defender to have on the bench......

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Mowbray is some diplomat.

"I am not resigned to losing Stephen. I think it is an opportunity for him."

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts

First choice Left Back, Fox and CB, McManus now rumoured to be off to Burnley/Boro. Not sure where Mowbray sees Darren fitting in. LB or CB??

I saw a few mins of this game, am I right in saying DOD was captain? almost sure i saw him with the yellow armband?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    I saw a few mins of this game, am I right in saying DOD was captain? almost sure i saw him with the yellow armband?
    He was captain. He's captain again tonight against Hibs.

Big responsibility on him as his central defensive partner is only 18.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    I was up at the game last night.

Yes, O'Dea was captain, played CB with 18 year old Josh Thompson. Darren is probably the only member of the Celtic squad right now who looks as though he could be capable of performing the roll of captain (though that is not really a compliment). He was very vocal and clearly marshalling his back four.

He did ok. He was up against Stokes for the most part and won almost everything in the air against him. On the ground Stokes looked dangerous, he has great movement and although he only had a few half chances apart from his goal, I was always worried when Hibs broke that he'd get a sniff.

As for Stokes goal, I think you could certainly apportion blame to O'Dea and Boruc, the latter flapping at a corner only a couple of yards from his goal line and the former giving Stokes acres of space to nod home.

Interestingly, Stokes and O'Dea had a couple of very minor altercations, handbag stuff really but they didnt come across as friends of the international scene to be expected I suppose in a competitive fixture. Stokes took offence to a very strong but fair challenge by O'Dea and they squared up (Stokes had a kick out at O'Dea, not the first time Ive seen him do that in a game) but they quickly got on with the game and the ref saw nothing it seems.

O'Dea had a goal chalked off from a set piece. Not entirely sure whether it was offside or an infringement but again showed he can be dangerous in front of goal (Good positioning geysir)

Then the crushing blow (for me at least). Celtic, including O'Dea had pushed on for the winner and Hibs broke away. The two Celtic defenders were having a little chat on the half way line, meanwhile Stokes had peeled away, gathered the ball and drove on to the Celtic box, the ball eventually made its way out to the Hibs sub who slotted it away (Im sure it looked offside but havent seen it since).

In summary, some positives to take from O'Deas performance and 4th start on the trot. Though he did play a crucial part in Hibs first goal and will be disappointed (understatement) to not at least ensure his team got a point.

On a side note, Liam Miller had a great game for Hibs. He played wide right in a midfield three. Lots of work rate, double covered McGeady (who was poor for me, the first 15 minutes apart) all night, pinged some lovely passes around and was a very attacking force for them. Didnt see him make too many tackles but plenty of harrying and applying of pressure on the Celtic midfield.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I think it was an offside Samaras who infringed by getting involved just before O'Dea poked it into the net.
    No doubt about it, O'Dea is a confident lad, if he develops his ability he has the makings of a very good centre half.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    749 Posts
    I was up at the game last night.

Yes, O'Dea was captain, played CB with 18 year old Josh Thompson. Darren is probably the only member of the Celtic squad right now who looks as though he could be capable of performing the roll of captain (though that is not really a compliment). He was very vocal and clearly marshalling his back four.

He did ok. He was up against Stokes for the most part and won almost everything in the air against him. On the ground Stokes looked dangerous, he has great movement and although he only had a few half chances apart from his goal, I was always worried when Hibs broke that he'd get a sniff.

As for Stokes goal, I think you could certainly apportion blame to O'Dea and Boruc, the latter flapping at a corner only a couple of yards from his goal line and the former giving Stokes acres of space to nod home.

Interestingly, Stokes and O'Dea had a couple of very minor altercations, handbag stuff really but they didnt come across as friends of the international scene to be expected I suppose in a competitive fixture. Stokes took offence to a very strong but fair challenge by O'Dea and they squared up (Stokes had a kick out at O'Dea, not the first time Ive seen him do that in a game) but they quickly got on with the game and the ref saw nothing it seems.

O'Dea had a goal chalked off from a set piece. Not entirely sure whether it was offside or an infringement but again showed he can be dangerous in front of goal (Good positioning geysir)

Then the crushing blow (for me at least). Celtic, including O'Dea had pushed on for the winner and Hibs broke away. The two Celtic defenders were having a little chat on the half way line, meanwhile Stokes had peeled away, gathered the ball and drove on to the Celtic box, the ball eventually made its way out to the Hibs sub who slotted it away (Im sure it looked offside but havent seen it since).

In summary, some positives to take from O'Deas performance and 4th start on the trot. Though he did play a crucial part in Hibs first goal and will be disappointed (understatement) to not at least ensure his team got a point.

On a side note, Liam Miller had a great game for Hibs. He played wide right in a midfield three. Lots of work rate, double covered McGeady (who was poor for me, the first 15 minutes apart) all night, pinged some lovely passes around and was a very attacking force for them. Didnt see him make too many tackles but plenty of harrying and applying of pressure on the Celtic midfield.

The Stokes/O'Dea incident was interesting alright. You rarely see that between two Irish international teammates, albeit they're both fringe players at the moment, but hopefully there's nothing deeper in it.

Miller looked extremely impressive yet again, I don't know if he really would fit in to Trap's system though, he works well in that midfield 3 that hibs play, McBride holds and gives him freedom to roam. Back to his Celtic best this season though.

Stokes looks a class ahead of every other SPL striker right now, still very young, he could have a big future in the game when (not if) he gets a second crack at a big club. Hibs will do well to hold on to him past the end of the season, but he's on a 3 year contract so they'll make a few quid.

Also, not really relevant to this thread but the sub (Galbraith) was a good two yards onside for the goal. The dive by Celtic's Korean lad that led to the counter attack for the winning goal was ridiculous, but the look on his face when he got up and realised what he'd caused was hilarious. Highlights are on the BBC website for anyone in the UK.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    O'Dea was pushed out to LB on Saturday against Hamilton (New Guy Hooiveld played on the left side of CB with Josh Thompson playing on the right of Centre.). He was captain again and did fine. Hamilton didnt offer much of an attacking threat to be honest and I cant recall O'Dea having too much to deal with.

Interestingly, Celtic have brought in Leftback, Edson Braafheid on Loan from Bayern Munich, obviously with a view to replacing Danny Fox who went to Burnley. As posted elsewhere on the forum Celtic are still being linked with CB's, St-Ledger (unlikely to happen because of price) and Real Mallorca's Ivan Ramis (around £2m I think).

So whilst O'Dea is Mowbrays choice as captain it looks like he will still have his work cut out to get a regular starting spot once all the newbies are bedded in to the club.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    It is interesting that Mowbray is giving him the captaincy.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    I don't know why Celtic got rid of Danny Fox. Doesn't make any sense, he was playing great for them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    they made a decent profit off selling him i guess thats why

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    I don't know why Celtic got rid of Danny Fox. Doesn't make any sense, he was playing great for them.
    I thought he was just ok, wasnt upset to see him move on.Although I dont know much about his replacement from Bayern Munich
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    but if hes at munich he must be good enough for spl..
    looking at him on wiki he seems to be a very good left back by the dutch league standards o hes certianly good enough for celtic and byern have good options in left back spo not suprised he left.
    5 caps for the Dutch national team
    Last edited by Acornvilla; 01/02/2010 at 7:13 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Danny Fox was bought for 1.5 million pounds.

Sold six months later for 1.8 million.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    He was good enough for Celtic and Celtic only made a nominal profit. That puts more weight onto rumours that Fox just did not settle and wanted a move.
    No hard feelings, that's part of life.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Didn't settle? He asked to be called up to the Scotland squad!

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Acornvilla View Post
    but if hes at munich he must be good enough for spl..
    looking at him on wiki he seems to be a very good left back by the dutch league standards o hes certianly good enough for celtic and byern have good options in left back spo not suprised he left.
    5 caps for the Dutch national team
    Dijmi Traore was good enough to be left back for Liverpool but I still wouldnt have wanted him for Celtic
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast