Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: McDonald looking for compensation

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

McDonald looking for compensation

eleven-a-side.com/

Sligo Rovers have been asked to compensate manager Rob McDonald, who stepped down from his position earlier this week after the club’s failure to present him with a contract which had been agreed before Christmas.

A former Newcastle United player, McDonald coached in the Netherlands and South Africa before landing the Sligo job in November.

However, he resigned on Monday evening when a meeting with club officials failed to elicit the contract he says he had been promised four months ago.

According to a report in Wednesday’s Irish Daily Mirror, McDonald has enlisted the help of the newly-formed eircom League Managers’ Association as well as Dutch-based managerial representatives in his bid to gain compensation from the north-west outfit.

Sligo coaches Leo Tierney and Dessie Cawley will take charge of the team in a caretaker capacity for the first game of the season against Galway United on Friday night.

surely if there was no contract involved then Rob cant get any compensation?
    plus, he 'stepped down', does that not mean he 'resigned' and therefore it was his decision to leave, and afaik the only way a manager can seek compensation is if he is sacked?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    We should just get Sean Connor to pay Rob the money he owes us for renaging on his contract.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    so after all the dust had settled - does anybody really know what exactly happened with the MC and McDonald. They didnt offer him and deal and he fecked off. But why no deal, why interference in transfers and going against him behind his back ?

Still no statement appearing from club and Mr. Toolan has been quoted in paper saying they'd like to keep what went on between the MC and Mcdonald in confidence.

I'm sorry but for supporters and shareholders of Sligo Rovers, that's is not good enough .

are we to wait for next years AGM to ask ? and then only to be answered by oh that was the last MC (although same MC) or there was an (fictional IMO) agreement between the last manager ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rovers1 View Post
    surely if there was no contract involved then Rob cant get any compensation?
    plus, he 'stepped down', does that not mean he 'resigned' and therefore it was his decision to leave, and afaik the only way a manager can seek compensation is if he is sacked?

Thats the same for all walks of life not just football. Me thinks there is more to this then meets the eye.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    If he had no contract then how can he get compensation? Nothing was legal.
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sligoman View Post
    If he had no contract then how can he get compensation? Nothing was legal.
    he can try to get compensation based on the fact that he took the job on the premise of a promised contract that never materialised. It's not much of a big deal becuase if he had a contract he'd have been getting paid while he was there anyway.

So safe to say none of us know a proper account of what went on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    I guess if legal action is threatened, both sides would like to keep their powder dry. They don’t want their arguments in the public arena.
    Make's sense to say nothing yet.
    Hopefully we have a good legal team, cos this could be costly if it goes wrong.
    I have scattered my dreams underneath your feet, tread carefully, cos it's my dreams you walk on.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Redzer View Post
    I guess if legal action is threatened, both sides would like to keep their powder dry. They don’t want their arguments in the public arena.
    Make's sense to say nothing yet.
    Hopefully we have a good legal team, cos this could be costly if it goes wrong.
    that makes good sense redzer, so fair enough. i just hope we do find out the proper story at some stage. Be nice to know what's going on at a club we support and spend our money on. Not good being fobbed off really.

Hopefully it wont be a costly settlement. surely mcdonald is only entitled (if entitled) to what he would have been paid up to leaving.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    He has a good case for constructive dismissal i.e. where you walk out because you were forced out.. However the fact he was only a few months in the job he wouldn’t be entitled to much compensation if any, we could argue that his employment was subject to a probationary period. From what I hear he was given no support because even though he was rated as one of the best coaches ever to grace our hallowed turf he hadn’t made to many friends in high places, Say no more

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Will be interesting to see where McDonald ends up...