Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Expectations for the coming season?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Expectations for the coming season?

What is everyone thinking we're gonna achieve this year? I'd say a decent run in the cups and a top 6 or 7 finish isn't unrealistic. And we could be sniffing round a european place if either one of Franco, O'Shea or Broderick really takes the league by storm next year, or if Eddie has a real ace up his sleve with the striker that has been talked about. JUST AS LONG AS IT AINT ZAYED!!!!!
    I'd love to invent a time machine then go back in time and win the lottery, buy new players and a stadium. Time machines are brilliant aren't they- Ian Holloway

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Going to be tough year imo. new team mite take a while to gel but shud avoid any relegation trouble. hope for a good cup run too. need to replace fox - not good enough anymore

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulsey View Post
    What is everyone thinking we're gonna achieve this year? I'd say a decent run in the cups and a top 6 or 7 finish isn't unrealistic. And we could be sniffing round a european place if either one of Franco, O'Shea or Broderick really takes the league by storm next year, or if Eddie has a real ace up his sleve with the striker that has been talked about. JUST AS LONG AS IT AINT ZAYED!!!!!
    Well I know you can't read too much into pre-season results but we've hardly been impressive, scraping a draw v Waterford and losing to Lims and Dundalk so far. I think we'll struggle to score and I'm not sure the defensive frailties are sorted. However, I'm not giving in to pessimism and I can't wait for the season to start now!
    All you zombies tweet tweet tweet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    With so many changes to the team it's difficult to get any sort of feeling for how we will do, that said, I do like that we've shaken things up, I'm sure we will do better than last year (not saying much, I know) and agree that it will probably take quite a few games for the team to find it's feet.

Prediction: Slow start, improving over the course of the year and finishing 7th.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    ...shouldn't really be replying to my own post but, just reading the Premier League Predictions thread, it seems from the outside looking in, most other fans don't have high expectations for the club this year.....most have us in the bottom 2 or 3....surely not?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    It'll take us a while to gel i reckon but we should be fine this season... Some really good signings with real quality so that will see us through. Anything has to be better than last season.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dublinwanderer View Post
    Going to be tough year imo. new team mite take a while to gel but shud avoid any relegation trouble. hope for a good cup run too. need to replace fox - not good enough anymore
    i agree, we cant compete with the top 4 so looking at 5th or 6th in the league at best, i think franco will be the key player this year as he has players around him who can actually pass the ball, totally agree about fox, compared to the other players he looks out of his depth very tired and sluggish

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    It's great that everyone thinks we are going to avoid relegation but I think we the only reason we mightn't have to struggle is because Longford and UCD have lost a bit of quality and Waterford mightn't be as prepared for the Premier division considering they had feck all notice. I hope I'm wrong but this might be a very long season. It'll be interesting to see how we perform in our first two games.

Of course we are obviously going to win the cup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    i'd be happy wit mid table and a semi final in fai cup and a decent league cup run..........
    DEVO: 'we want to challenge for the league next season' - speaking at the player of the year awards nite 2005. boy was he so far wrong!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Save Derry, Cork & Drogheda theres not a lot in the league, with that in mind i'm looking for a top 5 finish and a Cup Final
    "I'm just a chilled out entertainer"

Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    I don't understand where you're all getting your optimism from. I'd like a top 5 finish and a cup run more than anyone else but I doubt very much we can do that.

I honestly can't tell acurately how I think the team will do. I think any team that's made as many changes as we have will find it hard to hit the ground running.

My closest idea would be bottom half. Would love to see better.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by superfrank View Post
    I don't understand where you're all getting your optimism from. I'd like a top 5 finish and a cup run more than anyone else but I doubt very much we can do that.

I honestly can't tell acurately how I think the team will do. I think any team that's made as many changes as we have will find it hard to hit the ground running.

My closest idea would be bottom half. Would love to see better.
    The sides been fully changed and nearly all the sh!te has been gotten rid of. It probably will take a few games for the side to gel, but on paper with the exception of Derry, Drogs and Pats we have a side as good as any.
    I'd love to invent a time machine then go back in time and win the lottery, buy new players and a stadium. Time machines are brilliant aren't they- Ian Holloway

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    I agree that the squad last season wasn't doing the job and a lot of the less-comitted players are gone but if you look at our signings only Delaney and Williams are really proven players at this level. Hurley is good but he's not consistent enough, from what I've seen. Alan Cawley's gone downhill since he was doing well at UCD. The Bohs lads weren't holding first-team places in ateam that finished ninth. I am just pointing out that anyone expecting us to become world team just because we got rid of the players that weren't doing the job last year, doesn't mean the ones we brought in are going to be a mile better.
    Last edited by superfrank; 03/03/2007 at 8:18 PM.
    Extratime.ie

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    What about Gough do you not think he is a weak link!!
    "Football Is an honest game. It's true to life . It's a game about sharing. Football is a team game. So is life."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wanderer View Post
    They were just the players I could think of off the top of my head.
    Extratime.ie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I'd just like the team to avoid a drought similar to the one we experienced last season...what was it? 14 games and 2 points? That was painful. We want to be looking at taking maximum points off the teams, who like ourselves, would be popular picks for the bottom half of the table. Winning the FAI Cup would be nice though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Wow, i thought my prediction of 7th was optimistic!!

Either a lot of people on the forum are going to be disappointed this year, or the excitement and expectation of the coming season is getting the better of them at the moment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    I agree that the squad last season wasn't doing the job and a lot of the less-comitted players are gone but if you look at our signings only Delaney and Williams are really proven players at this level. Hurley is good but he's not consistent enough, from what I've seen. Alan Cawley's gone downhill since he was doing well at UCD. The Bohs lads weren't holding first-team places in ateam that finished ninth. I am just pointing out that anyone expecting us to become world team just because we got rid of the players that weren't doing the job last year, doesn't mean the ones we brought in are going to be a mile better.
    Get what your saying but the key thing is that this side has 2 things sadly lacking last year. Ability and Potential. Maybe we won't have a great season but the chances are it will be a far more enjoyable one than last season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wanderer View Post
    When you look at who mainly played in the full back positions last season, Goughs an improvement imo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Hurley is good but he's not consistent enough, from what I've seen. Alan Cawley's gone downhill since he was doing well at UCD.
    Both players have the talent and potential. A change of scene could get them going. In fact I think Cawley had a decent half a season at Waterford.