Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: League of Ireland Supporters Group

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

League of Ireland Supporters Group

Lads, given that both National League United and National League Supporters Association* have both not evolved into the kind of supporters grouping that is required for the League of Ireland (LOI), can we look at what has prevented them from getting off the ground.

I dont want to want to criticise anyones efforts here, but just look at the practicing problems that were realised in setting these groups up and getting them active to the point where they were a meaningful resource for LOI supporters. I am involved in CCOSC and i know what is involved in getting a club active, and i fully understand that this would be on a much bigger scale. I think that is something that people need to realise as well, so i'd urge people to given constructive suggestions to this topic.

• What do supporters need for a LOI Supporters Club?
    • What would supporters like to see happen with a LOI Supporters Club?
    • Compared with other National Supporters, what can actually be achieved?
    • What is the best way to work out what a LOI Supporters Clubs mandate should be so that it can represent all supporters/members

Lads, i dont want this to turn into a tit for tat battle of who did/didn't do what or to start pointing the finger.

* At least i think so anyway
    Last edited by A face; 25/02/2007 at 11:18 PM.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    I always thought a way to do a National Supporters Group would involve the established Club Supporters groups all coming together and electing a "High Council", which would be a voice for all groups, rather than start and try and evolve a new grouping from scratch. But I rarely involve myself in supporters groups so I dont really know
    For all your League of Ireland news - www.extratime.ie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth View Post
    I always thought a way to do a National Supporters Group would involve the established Club Supporters groups all coming together and electing a "High Council", which would be a voice for all groups, rather than start and try and evolve a new grouping from scratch. But I rarely involve myself in supporters groups so I dont really know
    But you'd recognise the need for one yeah?
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Not massively. Unless your really eager to get yourself some Ireland tickets.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    What he's talking about is a group to look after the interests of LOI fans!
    TO TELL THE TRUTH IS REVOLUTIONARY

The ONLY foot.ie user with a type of logic named after them!

All of this has happened before. All of it will happen again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Yeah I assumed in the past that was interests regards International tickets?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Not massively. Unless your really eager to get yourself some Ireland tickets.
    While its good that a group can do that for Irish Supporters, its actually got nothing to do with this league. I hate saying that, its just my own opinion, i much prefer supporting LOI, and i'm indifferent about National team at this stage. Maybe because we see LOI players getting subbed all the time this contributes to the apathy but thats just the way it is.

There is so much that can be/needs to be done for LOI Supporters, maybe the Irish tickets thing is detracting from the group purpose.

Theres a question, should the LOI Supporters group focus on representing LOI Supporters, Irish Supporters or both?

Personally i think it should just focus on LOI Supporters issues first.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    What are the issues facing LOI supporters?? I would have thought most issues fans would have would be with their clubs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    What are the issues facing LOI supporters?? I would have thought most issues fans would have would be with their clubs.
    Straight of the bat, communication. The old eircom League is now defunct and there is a brand new league there in its place and not one have knew what was going on. I'm not referring to issues that were yet to be decided or were ongoing all the time, i'm saying the whole process. Posters on here are fairly well informed on all league related issues at the best of times but big and large fans hadn't a clue what was going on.

Collaboration, supporters club are fairly resourceful groups when they get going, and a resource that would, i'd imagine would be readily available if it were in the leagues interest. The league has never once in all my time supporting this league used fans in anyway shape or form (correct me if i am wrong). That in my opinion is a waste of a resource, a league starved of resources.

Alan Hunter needs replacing too

Like i said, what do LOI fans want from a united LOI supporters group?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    If what you're talking about is a kind of umbrella supporters' club, to augment what individual clubs' SCs do, then I'd say you're looking at the same general objectives - taking Independent Saints as an example, our objectives when we set it up were fairly simple:
    1. To represent the interests of fans, in terms of facilities, communication with the club, etc.
    2. To assist the development of the club.
    Both these would apply equally for any new umbrella group operating at a League level. It'd be nice to think of a supporters' representative on the League's board of managment or whatever, but realistically I can't see that happening - on grounds of impracticality (how do you elect someone from across all the clubs?) and implausability (who'd be daft enough to actually volunteer for such a role?)

I.S. ended up getting involved in organising travel to away games as well, though this wasn't one of the original objectives.

I'd actually be inclined to leave international tickets out of it for the time being as it has the potential for becoming an all-consuming distraction. And anyway, I can't exactly see demand exceeding supply for the games in Croke Park, not after the San Marino muppetry.
    Revenge for 2002

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    When I mentioned international tickets it was tongue in cheek as I thought it was the only reason a body even existed before

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    When I mentioned international tickets it was tongue in cheek as I thought it was the only reason a body even existed before
    Well it was really - the NLSA morphed out of Delaney cutting tickets. NLU came about to fight the Wimbledon to Dublin. Once those issues have been sorted then the groups petered out. The problem is, people will rally around a particular cause, but is there the will for an ongoing organisation? Very recent history with the NLSA would suggest that there wasn't really the will among the fans to really get behind a national organisation.

Are there enough independent (in name and spirit) to really have some kind of national body elected from there?
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    Very recent history with the NLSA would suggest that there wasn't really the will among the fans to really get behind a national organisation.
    Maybe there is now but at the start there was great enthusiasm and anticipation at the start, and it wasn't just for tickets either.

I know there were a few in Cork looking to see if meetings were on the same weekend we had games there so we could get to them. There was a great buzz there at the start. I know i had list multiple issues that needed addressing very far removed from Ireland tickets.

I always thought that it should be a lobby group so effect change, not just with the FAI but with Dept. of Sports, Arts and Tourism etc.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I always thought a way to do a National Supporters Group would involve the established Club Supporters groups all coming together and electing a "High Council", which would be a voice for all groups, rather than start and try and evolve a new grouping from scratch.
    I believe that would be the best approach but how do you decide who gets represented? Should it only be official supporters groups that be aligned?
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    I believe that would be the best approach but how do you decide who gets represented? Should it only be official supporters groups that be aligned?
    I remember (and before anyone attacks me I was not involved in the NLSA) that getting a Shels supporters club signed up was a problem for the NLSA. They left a sort of dual membership open for both clubs and individuals.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student View Post
    I remember (and before anyone attacks me I was not involved in the NLSA) that getting a Shels supporters club signed up was a problem for the NLSA. They left a sort of dual membership open for both clubs and individuals.
    I think it should be open to whoever, anyone that is willing to help out should be left help out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A face View Post
    I think it should be open to whoever, anyone that is willing to help out should be left help out.
    That part of the problem. Even though you're right in that, your hypothetical organisation already loses strength for every club that's not represented. I don't think any Shamrock Rovers supporter club was signed up either in spite of the fact that NY Hoop was actively involved (could be wrong on that though). Another problem I think was that no one actually turned up to the public meetings held by the NLSA showing a general lack of interest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student View Post
    That part of the problem. Even though you're right in that, your hypothetical organisation already loses strength for every club that's not represented. I don't think any Shamrock Rovers supporter club was signed up either in spite of the fact that NY Hoop was actively involved (could be wrong on that though). Another problem I think was that no one actually turned up to the public meetings held by the NLSA showing a general lack of interest.
    Well, it could only represent the people who want to be represented. No point in beating yourself over supporters who dont want in, ideally you'd only have supporters who are signing up whole heartedly. The remainder, its their loss really, not being dismissive here or anything but you can be expected to chase people to sign up.

The public meetings, i was trying to get to them but just couldn't manage it with work. I only ever heard about two meetings and one was very short notice.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A face View Post
    I should really just be a representative group that can present itself to the FAI & media professionally. Supporters clubs that represented appoint a delegate. However does a group that represents hundreds of supports get same reprsentation as ne with 5 fans?
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    What about Independent Saints, the SEI and Pats For Richmond, would we get one each?
    Revenge for 2002

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast