Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Demonstrations & Protests 2002!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Demonstrations & Protests 2002!

Tricolour hearse driven from Dundalk to FAI HQ at Merrion Square, Dublin; Cork city protest marches; Builders downing tools in Galway ... I am currently researching a television doc on how ordinary people went to extreme lengths to vent their anger and frustration at Roy Keane's sending home/omission from Ireland's 2002 World Cup.

We need to hear your stories of extraordinary public displays of emotion - protests, demos, boycotts, petitions - as a result of the Keane fiasco of May 2002.

Post anything you remember or were involved in at the time! Your story could become a key part of the documentary!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    I heard about this on Galway Bay FM this morning! All i can say is i cried when i heard

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Any memories of protests,strikes,demos,fallouts?

roll back the tears!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    a dundalk bloke wrote a rather lighthearted whimsical book on the whole affair. 'Red mist' I think its called. Its all a bit personal, vaguely entertaining (but not really) - it might be worth a glance for you.
    not really a protest, but the fact that the subject warranted a book on the country's reaction/division may be of use 4 your program or may give you extra angle/ideas. If you want it i think my sis has it. PM me your address and I can send it 2 you, otherwise Im sure it isnt hard 2 track down.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    You must be telepathic! The doc is loosely based around Red Mist: Roy Keane and the Football Civil War.

It's a good read and there are several tales of protests and demos within it... this is the material we're after and looking to expand on.

Do you remember anything else? Protests,demos,strikes etc?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JossCrowley View Post
    You must be telepathic! The doc is loosely based around Red Mist: Roy Keane and the Football Civil War.

It's a good read and there are several tales of protests and demos within it... this is the material we're after and looking to expand on.

Do you remember anything else? Protests,demos,strikes etc?
    Dont remember 2 much from those days to be honest... the pubs opened at 9 in the mornin ffs!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bholg View Post
    a dundalk bloke wrote a rather lighthearted whimsical book on the whole affair. 'Red mist' I think its called. Its all a bit personal, vaguely entertaining (but not really) - it might be worth a glance for you.
    not really a protest, but the fact that the subject warranted a book on the country's reaction/division may be of use 4 your program or may give you extra angle/ideas. If you want it i think my sis has it. PM me your address and I can send it 2 you, otherwise Im sure it isnt hard 2 track down.
    Without doubt one of the worst one sided reads ever. Sad really.

Why would anyone do a documentary on this? Hasnt it been done to death?

KOH

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Its fairly sh!t allright. maybe an ok read for a foreigner who never knew anything about the whole scenario.
    if i remember rightly its mostly about him and his kid. dont think he was attempting to seriously comment on the whole inside situation, just present the whole ludicrous fiasco from an 'average joe' perspective.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Too true about the subject being done to death but the documentary has a slightly different angle on the whole affair.

It's looking at how the country reacted to Keane's sending home/omission (depending on which side of the fence you sit) from the World Cup. There'll be bits of animation, original bits of unseen archive etc.

Did you organise a protest or a boycott or get into a scrap over the Keane/McCarthy issue? Or do you know of anyone who did?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    At the time I was 100% pro Keane, probably because I knew he was instrumental to our progress in the WC. However, in retrospect there was blame on both sides.

I have to agree that this subject "has been done to death" and i wouldn't have much interest in such a documentary. Especially if it was anything like that sh!te documentary a few years back about Ireland's involvement in WC 90. Where every second commenter said "You have to remember this was Ireland before the Celtic Tiger!" and "Sure I was only going over there for the craic and when we made it out of the group stages I had to double mortage my house to stay there, then we got into the quarter final so I had to trebel mortgage my house and sell the lead on me roof to the Itninerants".

Maybe the reto aspect would spark some interest in the documentary i.e. music and news clips from Summer 2002. But tbh it's all a bit unoriginal and boring and could results in a lot of hard work going to waste. Could you not put your energy into something more interesting? Having said that good luck in finding your angle and I hope you prove me wrong and produce a riveting piece of filim.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The whole one-sidedness of red mist was sort of the whole point of the book, it wasnt an objective social commentry it was always intended to portray itself as biased...I found it to be humorous i must say.

i d like such a documentry, it was a unique period in irish history where a whole nation wasnt as divided since the civil war

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Yeah, my brother is a huge keane fan and a number of things happened to him,,,he got kicked out of taxi and had to walk 12 miles, because the taxi woman was calling keane a traitor.

Also for the opening day of the world cup it was my sisters wedding and she was really worried about fights breaking out over it after lads had a few beers, she banned myself and my two bros from talking about it for the day or engaging in and provocative coments

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NY Hoop View Post
    Without doubt one of the worst one sided reads ever. Sad really.

Why would anyone do a documentary on this? Hasnt it been done to death?

KOH
    picked it up in easons and read his comments on the swiss match with mick in charge 1-2 in dublin. he was describing the match or the reaction at the final whistle but he obviously was just making it up as it was quite clear he wasnt there. I read other bits of it and it just seemed like a whole pile of nonsense. someone trying to make a quick buck off the back of a so called national divide. AFAIK the book has not done well.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by citizenerased View Post
    Yeah, my brother is a huge keane fan and a number of things happened to him,,,he got kicked out of taxi and had to walk 12 miles, because the taxi woman was calling keane a traitor.
    And to think taxi drivers get a bad name

KOH

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    the tshirts in cork with a picture of Keane and Michael collins on them saying "two great corkman stabbed in the back"
    Bring back the plank

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    brilliant caption! do you own one of these t-shirts? or know of anyone who has one?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Exclamation

We don't need all this to dragged up again. My brother and I nearly came to blows over the whole affair, although I Keano has helped to heal the rift.
    Keane inspired the other players to qualify for the World Cup and then betrayed his team mates before the competition started.

I believe that after Paul McGrath, Keane was the finest footballer to play for Ireland, both had ability allied to passion.

When I saw the Headline in the Hearld at Lunch-time 'Keane going Home' I thought it was the injury he had been carrying, and was close to tears. When I heard the News, i just felt numb.

Leave it alone, please.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    I enjoyed the book, as a pro Keane man it brought back memories on how I felt at the time. I sometimes think from time to time on how we would have held up against Spain with Keano pulling the strings.
    "If God had meant football to be played in the air, he'd have put grass in the sky." Brian Clough.

You'll NEVER beat the Irish.......you'll just draw with us instead!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I must say I enjoyed the book. More for the fact that I like reading about fans accounts of different matters. It was completely one-sided but as I was staunchly on the side of Keane, I found it entertaining.

As for the argument in general. I remember I was in an apartment with about ten of my mates in Galway around the time it happened and I was the only one who was on Keanes side. Needless to say, seven months later some peoples attitude changed. That ****ed me off. If you have an opinion, stick to it and don't jump on the band wagon.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Torn-Ado View Post

As for the argument in general. I remember I was in an apartment with about ten of my mates in Galway around the time it happened and I was the only one who was on Keanes side. Needless to say, seven months later some peoples attitude changed. That ****ed me off. If you have an opinion, stick to it and don't jump on the band wagon.
    to be fair, i think it took a long time for people to realise that Keane might just have been right in what he did (myself included)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast