Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Scotland/Ireland bid fails

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Scotland/Ireland bid fails

Wonder did it have anything to do with the fact that there are no stadiums here?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Thumbs up Re: Scotland/Ireland bid fails

Originally posted by oddboy
    Wonder did it have anything to do with the fact that there are no stadiums here?
    Come off it man! Clearly a Swiss conspiracy cos Uefa based there. Bertie can get back to blaming the GAA now.

No doubt Scotland would have got if went alone & almost certainly the dublin side left them down.

--------------------------------------------------

Austria and Switzerland awarded EURO 2008 Thursday, 12 December 2002

Austria and Switzerland were today chosen by UEFA to host the final round of the UEFA European Championship in 2008. Geneva announcement UEFA President Lennart Johansson announced the successful bid at the Hotel Intercontinental in the Swiss city of Geneva after UEFA's supreme executive body, the Executive Committee, had made its decision on Thursday morning.

Six other bidders Austria and Switzerland emerged victorious against other bids from Croatia and Bosnia-Herzegovina; Greece and Turkey; Hungary; Nordic 2008 (Denmark, Finland, Norway and Sweden); Russia; and Scotland and the Republic of Ireland, following a close-fought contest. Working together The winning associations will now get down to working together with UEFA to prepare the massive infrastructure required to host the final tournament of European national team football's most prestigious competition in six summers' time. They will follow Portugal, who stage the European Championship final round in 2004. Final presentations.

The decision followed a process which began formally in the autumn of 2001, and which culminated in the seven candidates giving brief final presentations of their bids to the joint Executive Committee and UEFA's National Teams Committee at UEFA headquarters in Nyon, Switzerland, on Wednesday afternoon. Effort praised In announcing the decision, Mr Johansson praised the quality of the bids which had been put forward. "I cannot speak highly enough of the effort that has been made," he said. "The process is a tribute to each of the 14 associations involved, and to the political authorities and the fans of football who have given such tremendous backing to their bids. 'Spirit of friendship' "Over this time, we have also witnessed a great spirit of friendship and co-operation from all of the candidates," Mr Johansson added. "Everyone involved has demonstrated the importance of the European Football Championship to the European football family."

Site visits UEFA representatives have made a number of visits to the bidding countries to study various aspects such as stadiums, security, transport and communications, before the Executive Committee reached its final verdict. A number of bidding countries have already started updating their football infrastructures as a result of their candidatures. 'Future in safe hands' "New investments are taking place in stadiums and development projects across the bidding countries," said Mr Johansson. "I believe the future of European football is in safe hands."
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Re: Re: Scotland/Ireland bid fails

Originally posted by pete
    Come off it man! Clearly a Swiss conspiracy cos Uefa based there. Bertie can get back to blaming the GAA now.
    Yeah, and he´ll still throw money at the inbred bigots to win votes

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    we weren't even in the top four.

scotland couldn't afford to go it alone and they had little option but to ask us for help.

it was suggested they should have picked Wales. probably would have been a better option.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Apparently we were second.

But is anyone actually surprised we didnt get it?

Im more surprised our bid was taken seriously in the first place. Afterall our stadia are so state of the art etc!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

We weren't even fourth.

Well Gone Away,

taken from sky sports:

FIFA vice-president and Scot David Will said he was astounded that the joint bid from Scotland and Ireland for Euro 2008 was not even in UEFA's top four bids.

He said: "We were astounded. The national teams committee recommended four bids and we were not included and we never recovered from that.

"I still cannot believe it and I am trying to find out why. The executive committee takes the decision, not the national teams committee, but it would be very difficult for them not to follow those recommendations.

"In the event we were not even in the last four. I cannot understand it - I believe our technical rating was more or less even with Austria/Switzerland's."

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    good. I´m delighted. We would have embarassed ourselves anyway. As for Bertie, thats what you get for giving those bigots in Croker a fortune for nothing- tw@t

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Christ the other bids must have been a complete shambles given that our was second. Austria/Switzerland deserve it - Scotland deserved it but our side let them. Not sure why they didn't go for Wales initially - probably would have won hands down, but there probably would have been a case for playing the final in Cardiff which would not have best pleased the Scots.

I am disappointed but not surprised we didn't get it. I reckon Croker would have been made available albeit limited availablity - (might have been GAA matches going on right through and I doubt that the teams would have even had training access!!). I'd like to see us go again for 2012 when surely some sort of National Stadium will be ready and Lansdowne Road redeveloped. But if the Scots go for 2012 I reckon they'll be able to go it alone. Anyhow if any heavyweight bids from Spain, Italy or England came for 2008, there wouldn't have been a contest this morning - surely one of them will be in next time around.
    Effenberg played like my grandmother!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    wouldn't mind if Croke Park was privately funded, they could do what they want then and not let anyone in but when it's taxpayers like me who are paying for it.......

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Originally posted by Ref
    wouldn't mind if Croke Park was privately funded, they could do what they want then and not let anyone in but when it's taxpayers like me who are paying for it.......

and bertie still throws money at them when our health service is worse than a 3rd world country

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Disapointing, but not surprising.There goes the national stadium now, GAA can do what they like.

Badweather Fan
    Will someone please clarify?

Second or out of top 4?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Re: Re: Scotland/Ireland bid fails

Originally posted by Éanna
    Yeah, and he´ll still throw money at the inbred bigots to win votes
    Eanna, don't tar everybody with the same brush. Very few, if any, GAA people are bigots or anything like it, but the administrators involved are way behind the times as is evident in Cork at the moment.
    Lets remember one thing here, when it suited him and he thought he was being smart, LIAR AHERN GAVE THE GAA MONEY TO ENSURE CROKE PARK WOULD NOT BE OPENED TO SOCCER.
    It's the slimy cnuts who think they are SO clever that has this country and football in the sh*t.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Originally posted by Badweather Fan
    Will someone please clarify?

Second or out of top 4?
    What difference does it make?
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Re: Re: Re: Re: Scotland/Ireland bid fails

Originally posted by oddboy
    Eanna, don't tar everybody with the same brush. Very few, if any, GAA people are bigots or anything like it, but the administrators involved are way behind the times as is evident in Cork at the moment.
    I was referring to the actual administrators, not the people who play i and watch it. The GAA is possibly the only sports organisation in the world of which I have a lower opinion than the FAI.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I think the Scotland/Dublin was naive to think it would succeed from the start.

I think Uefa like to think you dedicated to football by having a few goes at getting the championship as well as hosting underage championships. The fact that this was Austrias 3rd attempt & Switzerland hosted the u-21's in the last few years no doubt gave them a huge advantage.

After awarding the championships to Portugal who are having problems building a range of stadia Uefa were also probably keen to go with the safe bet as i think only 1 stadium was left to buit in Switzerland.

Scotland/Dublin probably had style but no substance. Bigotry from croke Park to Glasgow may not have helped either.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!