Horan
    Flannery
    Hayes
    O'Callaghan
    O'Connell
    Best
    Wallace
    Leamy

I'd also like it if Eddie used subs earlier in the game instead of waiting to the last 15. He still doesn't seem to realise that its a 22 man game these days.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    i think boss was very slow with getting the ball out, he waited too long to often, that gave the french time to re-group and reorganise to often, his passing also isnt quick enough or accurate enough, the ball should be right into the chest, he was throwing it at head-level and waist level sometimes. stringer is better in an attacking game like yesterday.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    i think boss was very slow with getting the ball out, he waited too long to often, that gave the french time to re-group and reorganise to often, his passing also isnt quick enough or accurate enough, the ball should be right into the chest, he was throwing it at head-level and waist level sometimes. stringer is better in an attacking game like yesterday.
    If anything Stringer wastes too much time hanging around the back of rucks.

Whilst Boss' pass isn't as accurate as Stringers (but by no means is it Michael Bradley-esque!), he doesn't telegraph as much and breaks more often, thereby keeping the back row more honest.

IMHO Boss did a terrific job, particularly in the first half when the pack were going backwards at a rate of knots.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    stringer, o driscoll straight back in
    flannery in for best keep everything else the same, close call between trimble and murphy for the bench

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Boss did way better than Stringer would have and deserves to keep his place. His defence work was top notch too.

It was some day in Croker, not to be forgotten. Result could have gone either way so no complaints. Can't wait to be back on the Hill for the English game.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I remain unconvinced that Boss added enough to justify keeping his place. I think Stringer shades it for now but good to know option on the bench for the last 15-20 minutes which certainly has not been the case in recent years.

Boss tried a few breaks but no cutting edge. Stringers pass will give O'Gara an extra second which is huge in International rugby. I'd prefer O'Gara to be the decision maker at no.10 anyway.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Boss tried a few breaks but no cutting edge. Stringers pass will give O'Gara an extra second which is huge in International rugby.
    Pete I'd be wary of quoting verbatim from anything Matt Williams says in the Irish Times as he was the original Spoofer before Gareth Farrelly ever existed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Just saw the highlights for the first time, as I was lucky enough to be at yesterdays game.

First thing is that Geordan Murphy doesn't derserve to wear an Irish jersey again, as his pathetic half-assed attempt at a tackle was one too many in his under-achieving international career.

Second, not convinced that the Horan incident actually was obstruction. Harinordiquoy gives him a slight tug and the full-back correctly stands his ground (your are under no obligation to retreat, only to avoid going out of your way to impede). It certainly wasn't clear obstruction in my mind.

Lastly the French try at the death was somewhat unfortunate in that when the ball came backout of the ruck across from the Hogan to the Cusack side, Ireland were still in their kickoff defence formation which left Hayes exposed in open field. Best (correctly) drifted outside to cover the outside man and unfortunately the Bull was never going to have a chance against a back running at pace.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OneRedArmy View Post
    Pete I'd be wary of quoting verbatim from anything Matt Williams says in the Irish Times as he was the original Spoofer before Gareth Farrelly ever existed
    Is that a complement?
    I did not read his article.

I think Easterby will keep his place due to the physical nature of the England forwards. Flannery will come in for Best too.

btw Wallace was outstanding yesterday in both halfs which is impressive given the dominance of France in the first. (did Williams mention that? )
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    I think Easterby will keep his place due to the physical nature of the England forwards.
    Thats exactly why he won't keep his place (or shouldn't keep his place at any rate).

Best's one man ruck yesterday where he turned the ball over shows exactly what physicality he brings to the game. Never should've been dropped after the Autumn and yet another tick in the con column in Eddie's record.

And agree on Wallace, my Ireland MoTM and his pass for the try was sublime.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Best's one man ruck yesterday where he turned the ball over shows exactly what physicality he brings to the game. Never should've been dropped after the Autumn and yet another tick in the con column in Eddie's record.
    ya i seemed to be the only one where i was watching it that noticed that, that was about 2 mins after he came on wasnt it? It started as a maul though didnt it and he made great yards. was class to watch. he should definately be partnering wallace and leamy in the back-row.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OneRedArmy View Post
    First thing is that Geordan Murphy doesn't derserve to wear an Irish jersey again, as his pathetic half-assed attempt at a tackle was one too many in his under-achieving international career.

He also saved a certain try with a smother tackle, made one great break down the right wing, and should have had a try if Walsh hadn't whistled so quickly. I'd move him to full back where he offers a bit more going forward than Dempsey.
    Foot.ie's entire existence is predicated on the average idiot's inability to ignore other idiots

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
    He also saved a certain try with a smother tackle, made one great break down the right wing, and should have had a try if Walsh hadn't whistled so quickly. I'd move him to full back where he offers a bit more going forward than Dempsey.
    Fully agree, Murphy is probably the best full back in the 6 nations, the insistance of playing him on the wing baffles me.
    His missed tackle was a shocker but he did save a certain try and should have had one himself but for the clearly biased Walsh.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by endabob1 View Post
    His missed tackle was a shocker but he did save a certain try and should have had one himself but for the clearly biased Walsh.
    One of many shockers in his career. I just don't think he's good enough defensively.

Quote Originally Posted by OneRedArmy
    Second, not convinced that the Horan incident actually was obstruction. Harinordiquoy gives him a slight tug and the full-back correctly stands his ground (your are under no obligation to retreat, only to avoid going out of your way to impede). It certainly wasn't clear obstruction in my mind.
    I'd have a bigger issue with him not calling it back for the penalty. In those three incidents that we had advantage he didn't appear to give as long as would be common now, or he should've blown up earlier with no advantage coming. Having said that, after the first time, Ireland should've taken the penalty anyway - rarely see O'Gara drop into the pocket to at least get two attempts at 3 points.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Murphy doesn't look half as interested as he does for England. I couldn't care less if he's on the bench

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Soko View Post
    Murphy doesn't look half as interested as he does for England. I couldn't care less if he's on the bench
    I presume you mean Leicster. Agreed - Murphy's defence work is diabolical. Dempsey doesn't offer a great deal in attack but he's solid as a rock in defence - most reliable pair of hands in the business. We have other players for flair - need someone to mop up and thats where Dempsey comes in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Cheerio Geordan Murphy. You can get back into the squad when you learn to make an effort in the tackle.

No major surprises although N Best and Flannery would be my preferred starters. If they are going to be used as impact subs, bring them on with 30 mins to go, not 10.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Would have loved to have seen Best start this game. Surprised Murphy doesn't even make the bench.........
    "If God had meant football to be played in the air, he'd have put grass in the sky." Brian Clough.

You'll NEVER beat the Irish.......you'll just draw with us instead!!!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts

Some rules clarification needed

Quote Originally Posted by endabob1 View Post
    Fully agree, Murphy is probably the best full back in the 6 nations, the insistance of playing him on the wing baffles me.
    I don't see what the ref did wrong in that incident in not allowing advantage play when Murphy gathered the ball and broke away. Murphy only gained an unlikely advantage after the ref blew his whistle.
    The ball was knocked on, the ref blew as another French player picked up the ball and tried to offload it.

The offside rule is confusing.
    In the same incident the French have players offside. One French player came in at a scissors direction to pretend to receive the ball, the ball bipasses him of course but he is still running on ahead of the ball into the irish line creating some obstruction. Why is that not offside? Is there some leeway? Looks to me that it is carefully crafted, first you have a dummy movement with the added effect of some obstruction.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    The offside rule is confusing.
    In the same incident the French have players offside. One French player came in at a scissors direction to pretend to receive the ball, the ball bipasses him of course but he is still running on ahead of the ball into the Irish line creating some obstruction. Why is that not offside? Is there some leeway? Looks to me that it is carefully crafted, first you have a dummy movement with the added effect of some obstruction.
    He's offside if he runs (directly) in front of the ball or blocks a defender from making a tackle, otherwise he's OK.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast