Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 48 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Steve Staunton Discussion thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

Angry Staunton Out?

Dunphy called for Staunton to go today in the paper. Leaving aside his love of hyperbole does anyone agree?
    I think we should cut our losses and get rid of him and put in a manager with a bit of a gameplan and a bit of experience. We were a joke last night and its shameful that any team can come to lansdowne road and hammer us 4 nil without breaking a sweat regardless of injuries. We didnt look like we had a clue what we were doing. I think we will be throwing away a qualifying campaign and I cant see how he will be any better a manger at the end of it from suffering continued hidings like last night. without descending into personal attacks what does anyone else think?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Yes, I am however biased as never agreed with allowing a manager learn the basics of management at international level.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    He deserves the German game to prove himself. The anti kerr faction argued religiously that we had the players to get us to the last world cup but that the manager was too negative

now they have their new manager - same players basically including a couple of emerging prospects

if we had the players to get us to the WC only just gone by than we should be competitive against Germany. So he has one game in my eyes to prove he's more than just somebody we got from Walsall who was only just learning the trade

For the record I think we could snatch a draw in Germany as a limited back to basics approach will be adopted, my only fear is that the world game has moved on so much since this approach was capable of getting results that we could just be over ran by a demonstrably brilliant German attack

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I am a firm believer in judging a man on his results as a manager. Mc Carthy got a couple of campaigns to get it right so did Charlton so did Giles so did Hand and so did Kerr. So I would say give Staunton the same as previously no more no less.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wws View Post
    He deserves the German game to prove himself. The anti kerr faction argued religiously that we had the players to get us to the last world cup but that the manager was too negative

now they have their new manager - same players basically including a couple of emerging prospects

if we had the players to get us to the WC only just gone by than we should be competitive against Germany. So he has one game in my eyes to prove he's more than just somebody we got from Walsall who was only just learning the trade

For the record I think we could snatch a draw in Germany as a limited back to basics approach will be adopted, my only fear is that the world game has moved on so much since this approach was capable of getting results that we could just be over ran by a demonstrably brilliant German attack

Why do we have to have factions. I woudl rather a much more rational assessment of a managers strengths and I think results are the fairest way to judge it. SO lets wait and see where we finish in the quailfying campaign and
    In Trap we trust

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

I think the German game would be a bad game to decide his future on. It's a game we're expected to lose. Saying that we should still put in a decent performance but I think it would be unfair to judge him against a team that is superior to us. The real test for him will be against the likes of Wales and Slovakia- teams we are a bit better than and should win. If he doesn't win those games he should be sacked. He should be given a chance to prove himself agaisnt Cyprus and Czech Republic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Kerr was not sacked so get the facts right. Kerrs contract was not reknewed there is a subtle difference. I was a supporter of kerrs but a 3rd and 4th finish is not good enough. Charltons time had come and he was successful with very good players and some average ones. Mc Carthys going was more complex but applying for the Sunderland job did not help either. Giles left and Hand had to go as we were well off the pace for qualifying in 1986.

History has not proven anything in relation to the non-reknewing of Kerrs contract. Stauton is in the job and he does not look to confident in it but however he deserves a fair run at it and to sack him before a competitive game or after one is madness.

Terms like Knacker and fan boys and insults to fellow posters do nothing for your post by the way.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    I have never liked Staunton at all... ever... but even I have to say you cant fire him already... give him a few games to at least have a chance. Unless its a total disaster in next few games he should at least get this Euro campaign.
    "A silent mouth is sweet to hear"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BohsBohsBohs View Post
    The truth does though
    Well there is not much truth in your post as kerr was not sacked. His contract was not reknewed. There is a difference.
    In Trap we trust

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Think Staunton deserves a fair go and wouldnt pay attention to what Dunphy says .. Everyone thought we were the dogs ****** after the Sweden game and Stan was the man. Now while I agree last night was a shambles we have important players to come back who will make a difference and Staunton at least deserve to be given this campaign to see what he can do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    What ropes are you talking about here. I am not being pedantic I am dealing with the truth, something that you mention in your post. Anyway the point is I think Staunton should be given as long as Kerr or Hand got
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I wouldn't be to optimistic as the group of players we have at the moment isn't great and although we have some exciting you players coming through, we have very little to offer in central defence or central midfield.

It's going to take a good manager to get the best out of what is, let's face it, a fairly mediocre side and Staunton's inexperience is not ideal. I feel Robson's input will be vital in that regard.

Still, it's only fair to give the man a chance in competitive games, however disappointing the last couple of friendlies have been. We're not in the same league as Germany or The Netherlands and I agree that we'll have to measure our progress against the more accessible teams.

I don't want to sound too negative but I feel it's a time for rebuilding, getting rid of some of the players who no longer have anything to offer and blooding some new lads. I'll be pleasantly surprised if we qualify for Euro 2008 and have felt that since the group was drawn, regardless of the results of any of the friendlies.

Look to the future lads, we've some fine young players coming through and even the U21s have started winning! There'll be no stopping us in a few years time.
    Greece 1 - 0 Germany
    Socrates (89)

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    mistakes i think stan made................

playing Kilbane.........he should have been shot years ago....wan ker
    o shea in central defence...now thats funny
    saying he wont pick P Mccarthy cause he is too agressive.....well its better than not even attempting a tackle
    no gameplan
    kavanagh and morrison.we know what these can do or rather not do
    no derry city players

anyway he still deserves a chance

fingers crossed for germany

and Kerr was an Ass
    lucky if he finds another job at all
    couldnt even get the India job!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    I did say without descending into personal insults.
    just for the record I dont think sacking the manager is the answer to everything. I just didnt see anything last nite to convince me that given more time he can turn things around.so yes it would be pretty radical to get rid of him so quickly but feck it I dont want to sit thru anymore of the same.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BohsBohsBohs View Post
    Kerr didn't get a fair chance. Kerr was doing an adequate job, history has already proven that his sacking was premature and that will only become more clear as we play more games.

The FAI are a clueless bunch of fan-boys, which is the only reason why Charlton lasted as long. McCarthy was sacked because they sided with the "infallible" knacker from Cork. Kerr was sacked because Delaney knows nothing about the game, like most people here by the looks of things.
    And Charlton only got the job because they f***** up when trying to appoint Bob Paisley

Mind you as previously posted Kerr was not sacked, and McCarthy was hounded out by the media and nomatter what happened he had to go to try and let the nation move on. I personally think Mick did a fab job and had the media not hounded him out he could have got us to another finals.

Kerr was not good enough BUT was probably the best candidate for the job at the time, and the same with Stan.

One last rant for thoses baying for Stans blood WHO WANTS THE JOB, and dont come up with has beens and failures from the premiership etc, no real name has ever applied to manage Ireland or allowed their name to go forward. Charltons appointment was met with amazement and if i remember right I was one of only about 13,000 sould who went to see his 1st game against Wales in Dublin
    Last edited by Forever Dreamin; 17/08/2006 at 6:50 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    So he has one game in my eyes to prove he's more than just somebody we got from Walsall who was only just learning the trade
    Bet that will keep him awake at night

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Did anyone see stans interview after the match it did little to convince me that he is good enough to be ireland manager, but still in all i think he should be given afair chance

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    No we shouldnt sack him is my answer. As a previous poster has rightly pointed out, who would we get to replace him? There was never or never will be a queue for the job. Unless of course one of the many very rich people of Ireland decide to do a Roman and bank roll a decent overseas manager.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Its ridiculous for anyone to be calling for a manager to be sacked after a friendly match. The Star should cop themselves on as well having it splashed accross the front page, give the man a chance for god sake.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceirtlis View Post
    Its ridiculous for anyone to be calling for a manager to be sacked after a friendly match. The Star should cop themselves on as well having it splashed accross the front page, give the man a chance for god sake.
    The Star cop on to themselves !! fcukin rag almost as anti-Irish as the Independent! People who buy the Star should cop on to themselves!

Absolute nonsense calling for Staunton's head now...if anyone needs decapitating it's the FAI and the head it should lose is obvious...Dullaney. He made the wrong appointment no matter how bad or good Stan does. It was the wrong appointment but he should be given as much help as possible, just because Dullaney threw him to the lions doesn't meant we have to chew him up.

Stan could still get it right for Stuttgart with guidance and should not get this type of press.

ps. Stan's first match, a 3-0 win, Mclarens's first match a 4-0 win, let's hope Mclaren follows the same pattern.
    Last edited by Scram; 17/08/2006 at 9:05 PM.

Page 1 of 48 12311 ... LastLast