Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Barry Maguire

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Barry Maguire

Played for Holland U-18s last night vs Ireland U-18's, the linked bio below lists him as Irish though, anyone know the story? or speak Dutch?

http://www.voetbalstatistieken.nl/je...re%20barry.htm

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    just found my answer, sorry if this has been brought up...

McCaffrey “held discussions” with Dutch youngster

February 8, 2007

Republic of Ireland youths boss Sean McCaffrey has revealed that he spoke with Dutch international youngster Barry Maguire about the possibility of representing Ireland.

Maguire, 17 and born in Holland, is a regular at first-team level for Dutch league side Den Bosch and made his under-18 debut for the Dutch AGAINST Ireland on Wednesday night.

He qualifies for Ireland through his Dublin-born father – and even donned the green for a friendly at under-15 level – but now looks destined to slip through McCaffrey’s net.

The Irish chief told the Irish Daily Star: “I had discussions with Barry about playing for us and I thought he was going to declare for Ireland.

“I’ve had scouts over to Holland to watch Barry play for his club and the reports were excellent. If he doesn’t want to play for us, that’s his decision and good luck to him

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SaucyJack View Post
    Played for Holland U-18s last night vs Ireland U-18's, the linked bio below lists him as Irish though, anyone know the story? or speak Dutch?

http://www.voetbalstatistieken.nl/je...re%20barry.htm
    Says he was selected to play for Ireland at U17 level???
    Not much else, except the clubs he played for.
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Has a head like an Irishman too. At first we thought it was amisprint on the team sheet
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    From the Irish Independent:

ARSENAL, Liverpool and Tottenham have all reportedly been keeping a close eye on his rapid progress.
    At the age of 18, he has already played over 70 senior games and has just been the subject of a bidding war involving some of the top clubs in Holland.
    And he's half Irish.
    So why is Barry Maguire now being proclaimed as the future of Dutch international football?
    Cruyff, Gullit, Van Basten, Koeman, Bergkamp, Van Nistelrooy . . . Maguire?
    The Netherlands' football history is steeped in a tradition of class and technique.
    And the Oranjes have played their part in some of Ireland's most memorable moments in world football, not least on that fateful night almost 14 years ago in the Orange Bowl in Orlando -- one which will haunt Packie Bonner for the rest of his days.
    How cruel a twist of fate it would be, then, if the distinctly Irish name of Barry Maguire were to join the list of Dutch legends.
    The FAI's new international performance director, Wim Koevermans, has already put Maguire on top of his list when he begins his job at Abbotstown on September 1, such is the quality of the young midfielder.
    And he should know. Koevermans was the man who snatched Maguire from under the noses of Ireland and coaxed him into the bosom of the KNVB, calling him up for the Dutch U-18s to play against none other than Sean McCaffrey's Irish colts at Richmond Park last year.
    But all is not lost for Irish football.
    Maguire, born of an Irish father and a Dutch mother in Tiel, speaks in a distinctly Dutch tone and without a hint of an Irish accent of how he is still open to offers from the FAI.
    "It's an honour to play for your country, whether it's your father's country or your mother's country," he said.
    "Right now I'm only playing for Holland because they have asked me so if Ireland asked me to play for them then maybe I could play for them.
    "I would have to make a choice but it would be real honour to play for Ireland."
    Limelight
    Maguire's name only really emerged into the limelight in the past month when he was snapped up by FC Utrecht of the Dutch Premier League.
    Despite more lucrative offers from some of the larger Eredivisie outfits, he opted for the club just half an hour from his home and one which, crucially, pitched the offer of a big chance of regular first-team action.
    Maguire has become accustomed to first-team football. For anyone familiar with the career of James McCarthy, another promising half-Irish starlet, the story of this box-to-box teenage player follows a similar trend.
    At 16, Maguire made his debut for Den Bosch, the club at which one Ruud van Nistelrooy began his career, in the Dutch second tier and has since been a pivotal player, making over 70 consecutive appearances, playing almost every minute during that time.
    Like Hamilton Academicals star McCarthy, Maguire's transition from a frail kid into a potential world beater occurred within the proverbial blink of an eye.
    A versatile attacking midfielder, he is known to possess the kind of technique which, dare we say, is more synonymous with Dutch football than with Irish.
    Now, he has been hailed as one of the brightest young talents emerging from the Netherlands and is expected to be put right into first-team action with Eredivisie mid-table regulars Utrecht, under the tutelage of another Dutch legend Willem van Hanegem.
    His international career, unfortunately, is a little more complicated. Maguire has, in fact, played in an Irish shirt, when he was called up for an U-15 friendly against Northern Ireland.
    His father, Martin, who, as a 19-year-old, travelled through Holland during a European sightseeing trip but never returned, was far from impressed with what was waiting for Barry when they both made the journey over here.
    "I remember well that they had two games that day against Northern Ireland, so they had two teams, and he played 15 minutes," said the Dubliner, who played for Home Farm briefly as a teenager.
    "I think there were 15 players from Ireland, who were living in Ireland and who they could watch every week, but they gave him 15 minutes and said 'you'll hear from us', but we never heard anything else from them until he was called up for Holland."
    When he was called up for Holland a couple of years later by Koevermans, it was a twist in the plot that both parties could certainly have done without. Lo and behold, his first international appearance for the Dutch was against Ireland, in Ireland.
    Irish U-17 and U-19 manager Sean McCaffrey, however, stands by the fact that he had invited Maguire to play for the Boys in Green for that very match, but only found out that he had chosen for the Netherlands when the Dutch Association sent the FAI details of their hotel arrangements.
    "He was called into the squad and we told him we would include him in the next match. Now we didn't know the next match was going to be against Holland.
    "We were then invited to a tournament in Portugal and I said: 'If we're going to Portugal there's no point in you coming with us and playing you in Ireland as well' and that was basically it," McCaffrey explains.
    "And then when we named the squad against Holland, he was already in the Dutch squad. He never rang us to say he was in the Dutch squad and he had made up his mind as far as I was concerned."
    McCaffrey's and Maguire's versions of events do not quite correlate, however, and Maguire's father insists that Barry was never given a decision to make.
    "Somebody rang him up from the FAI to ask him if he was interested in playing for Ireland and he said he was, but then he never heard anything from them again.
    "Then we saw a piece in the paper one day saying 'Irish coach disappointed in Maguire choosing for Holland' and I thought, Barry was talking to them and told them he'd play if they called him up, but they never did.
    Discovered
    "I was under the opinion that once the FAI had discovered Barry, and they knew about him they'd keep an eye on him, but I just don't think they work like that."
    Martin still believes that Ireland would still be an option if they were to request Maguire's services, and the Drumcondra native knows which colour he would prefer to see his son play in if both associations came knocking.
    "My heart lies with Ireland," he admits, "but it's his choice and it will be interesting to see in a couple of years if they both call him up.
    "But at the moment his mind is being made up for him because he hasn't heard anything from Ireland in so long."
    Only time will tell if Irish football lays claim to Maguire before the gifted youngster turns 21. It is a decision that currently lies with Giovanni Trapattoni and, indeed, Don Givens.
    If not, however, Maguire could well prove to be a gem lost to the wreckage of miscommunications.
    - Neil Ahern

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    And a nice goal from him here.

Hopefully we can get him on our side... and hopefully we won't lose McCarthy to Scotland... I'd love Trapattoni to call them both up soon...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Well McCarthy seems fairly intent on playing for us so let's hope it stays that way. I like this quote from McCaffrey:

“I’ve had scouts over to Holland to watch Barry play for his club and the reports were excellent. If he doesn’t want to play for us, that’s his decision and good luck to him"

Exactly.
    There is no such thing as a miracle cure, a free lunch or a humble opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    ...that's a little harsh on a lad born and raised in Holland to not expect his head to be turned when the KNVB come knocking.

I'm not saying he should be treated like royalty or any way differently to any other player -but the fact that he has options has to be acknowledged.

Incidently -I wonder does he sing 'Eloise' in karaoke competitions?
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Ritchie View Post
    Incidently -I wonder does he sing 'Eloise' in karaoke competitions?
    Why would you wonder that?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Why would you wonder that?
    Originally sung by Barry Ryan, possible surname mix up?

Would've worked on the Pats thread in the EL forum mind you!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Barry McGuire (close) sang "Eve of Destruction" which could have been our unofficial anthem during the Staunton era.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drumcondra
    Originally sung by Barry Ryan, possible surname mix up?

Would've worked on the Pats thread in the EL forum mind you!
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    Barry McGuire (close) sang "Eve of Destruction" which could have been our unofficial anthem during the Staunton era.
    ...is, as Angus Dayton would say, the correct answer.

" I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    So far Barry has more in common with David Connolly,
    making great shapes in the the Dutch league and then struck down by the curse of the FAI phonecall.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts
    McCarthy and Maguire would look a great midfield.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,627 Posts
    and sound like a great midfield too

"i cannae git the bal to ye barra"

"no worriesh Jammy, you are shtill de besht"

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

All you need beside him then is that german lad with Turkish/Irish parents and that lad from New Zealand that plays in German.

League of Nations midfield!
    Newtown Celtic FC RIP (1992-2007)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bawn79 View Post

All you need beside him then is that german lad with Turkish/Irish parents and that lad from New Zealand that plays in German.

League of Nations midfield!
    and Clinton "I've narrowed it down to Jamaica, Trinidad, England and Ireland" Morrisson up top!!!!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Barry Maguire played for Utrecht against Derby today... came on as a sub after 63 minutes... final score was 2-2.

I think they're playing Wigan next... maybe somebody could go along and convince him to play for us...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    I'm busy, any takers?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    557 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by musicinmouth View Post
    Barry Maguire played for Utrecht against Derby today... came on as a sub after 63 minutes... final score was 2-2.

I think they're playing Wigan next... maybe somebody could go along and convince him to play for us...
    The bigger the pool of players that Ireland has to choose from the better so if there are people out there with persuasive powers do your damndest.

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast