Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Barry Maguire

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by musicinmouth View Post
    Well, I felt like nobody was doing anything about Barry Maguire... so I made an enquiry... and from the response I got, I felt that he might still like to play for us... so then I contacted the FAI... and now I am very hopeful that he might play for us in the near future...
    As has been said, he's in the squad. That's a job well done.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Well, I felt like nobody was doing anything about Barry Maguire... so I made an enquiry... and from the response I got, I felt that he might still like to play for us... so then I contacted the FAI... and now I am very hopeful that he might play for us in the near future...

When is the team for the U21 game against Germany going to be announced?
    Well done music, its mad that your email may be the difference between us qualifying or not for a major competition! (I mean in a positive way) By the sound of it this guy is probably good enough for the senior squad already at the expense of Liam miller.

Thanks Music
    Newtown Celtic FC RIP (1992-2007)

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts

Thumbs up

To paraphrase Abba - "Thank you to the Music"
    Quoting years at random since 1975

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Give Steven Ireland a shout there while you're at it...
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Music you may have just done more for the U21 squad that Givens ever has.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryPhelan View Post
    Not forgetting Kevin Walker of AIK Fotboll (though I think he may have since been released) and his brother Robert, both of whom are eligible for Sweden and Ireland through their father Patrick Walker, former gaffer at Orebro SK.

And, on a personal point of annoyance, how could he leave out Ronnie O'Brien? Not to mention the evergreen Terry Phelan who is/am still plying his/my trade at Otago FC in New Zealand...

Whatever about the Walkers though, surely Ronnie O'Brien merits a run-out (would offer just as much/little as Liam Miller, in my opinion). Material for a different thread, I know, but it's just a personal gripe of mine that I feel is worth mentioning...
    At the time, yeah it was Toronto. He has recently just left the San Jose Earthquakes though and is unattached. Would be awesome if he came to the League of Ireland, but I very much doubt it with him having been in the US for so long now.

Dunno if any interest has been shown in him though to be honest

Also, top work Music!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    Time to compose a song for MusicInMouth me thinks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Ronnie O'Brien was once one of the best players in the MLS, and on his day is still a good player; however, injuries have hampered his game in the past few seasons and there's no way he's good enough to be anywhere near international level.

At best, he'd be playing in League One.

I think he turned down Ireland because he would be missing a club game with Toronto, and knew that long-term he would never break into the team.

But back to what matters- well done MiM, that's brilliant.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Latest news from Holland apparently is that he thinks it's an honour but needs time to think about it, doesn't sound like a done deal yet...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    To be honest its a very very bad day when a regular football fan on an football forum has to contact the FAI to prompt them to get the finger out. Did you make Delaney by any chance. The gormless numpty. Of course its impressive that you did so and actually if Barry Maguire ever makes it to the senior squad I want to know who the great musicinmouth is for his/her/it's efforts.

Surely the FAI's scouting staff are paid enough and organised enough to keep tabs on whose who and how they are progressing. What have we got to lose in getting him a cap.He might be a future, he might not.We need all the possibilities we have at our disposal.

Well done that man but worrying stuff when a player, who has been profiled enough as Barry Maguire, hasn't quite been approached on the matter.

On a side issue,and maybe I shouldnt as I suspect Sigmund Freud doesn't hang about here that much these days, but if say Barry was born in the Netherlands could his declaration be dependant on which parent was most influential in his life or which he was closes too. It may not of course but it might. Say his mother was Dutch and he was closer to her than his dad then might he look at choosing to play for the Netherlands before the Republic of Ireland?.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Harpsbear View Post
    To be honest its a very very bad day when a regular football fan on an football forum has to contact the FAI to prompt them to get the finger out. Did you make Delaney by any chance. The gormless numpty. Of course its impressive that you did so and actually if Barry Maguire ever makes it to the senior squad I want to know who the great musicinmouth is for his/her/it's efforts.

Surely the FAI's scouting staff are paid enough and organised enough to keep tabs on whose who and how they are progressing. What have we got to lose in getting him a cap.He might be a future, he might not.We need all the possibilities we have at our disposal.

Well done that man but worrying stuff when a player, who has been profiled enough as Barry Maguire, hasn't quite been approached on the matter.

On a side issue,and maybe I shouldnt as I suspect Sigmund Freud doesn't hang about here that much these days, but if say Barry was born in the Netherlands could his declaration be dependant on which parent was most influential in his life or which he was closes too. It may not of course but it might. Say his mother was Dutch and he was closer to her than his dad then might he look at choosing to play for the Netherlands before the Republic of Ireland?.
    Excellent points Harpsbear. Well done also music on sterling work. But, to be fair, what is the FAI at? You have to wonder if this sort of nonchalence by the FAI is costing us more players that could play for us. I mean Barry Maguire playing for a Dutch club, surely bells must be ringing in our scouts heads at the Irishness of that name. God only knows if this clumsy approach is also used in dialogue with the Stephen Ireland and Andy O'Brien, etc.
    'And Crouch must score'

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts

I find in general on a sporting level and a nationalistic level its always the dad that people get it from
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Great news, Music, well done. Hopefully, with Koevermans on board, we should be able to keep him as part of the set up from here on in.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Thanks everyone.

A few weeks ago I contacted Barry Maguire. I said that I didn't know if the FAI had been in contact, but I just wanted to let him know that the Irish fans are really hoping he might consider playing for us. He indicated that he would be interested... but that he hadn't heard from the FAI... so I wrote to John Delaney, who let me know that my e-mail would be followed up on... I got replies from Wim Koevermans and the Director of International Football Operations last week... Everybody was very positive and friendly... Mr. Koevermans let me know that he had been finding it difficult to get in touch with Barry, but that he had now made contact and Barry was indeed very interested in playing for us... and that I could cheer for him in the U21 game against Germany...

So hopefully he will play for us - I am sure it must be a hard decision to make. I'm glad that he's been called up now. It would have been a shame if he had never been asked. We can't afford to lose quality players like that.

I'm also really looking forward to seeing James McCarthy. I think our U21 team sound very strong now.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    great work!

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Thanks everyone.

A few weeks ago I contacted Barry Maguire. I said that I didn't know if the FAI had been in contact, but I just wanted to let him know that the Irish fans are really hoping he might consider playing for us. He indicated that he would be interested... but that he hadn't heard from the FAI... so I wrote to John Delaney, who let me know that my e-mail would be followed up on... I got replies from Wim Koevermans and the Director of International Football Operations last week... Everybody was very positive and friendly... Mr. Koevermans let me know that he had been finding it difficult to get in touch with Barry, but that he had now made contact and Barry was indeed very interested in playing for us... and that I could cheer for him in the U21 game against Germany...

So hopefully he will play for us - I am sure it must be a hard decision to make. I'm glad that he's been called up now. It would have been a shame if he had never been asked. We can't afford to lose quality players like that.

I'm also really looking forward to seeing James McCarthy. I think our U21 team sound very strong now.
    Well done again mate, really good work.... even though u seemed to be doing the FAIs job for them, credit to them for responding to you the way they did
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    I said that I didn't know if the FAI had been in contact, but I just wanted to let him know that the Irish fans are really hoping he might consider playing for us. He indicated that he would be interested... but that he hadn't heard from the FAI.
    Tbh, you could have been having the exact same conversation with Stephen Ireland.

The way I see it, if he wants to play for Ireland then he'll wait. By him saying he "would be interested" suggests he's waiting on whoever makes the first move, the KNVB or the FAI.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Thanks everyone.

That is legendary. Top work MusicinMouth. Quality that you actually got in touch with him.

Amazes me how no contact had been made - just highlights the level of ignorance that is going on at the FAI.

Pity we can't get hold of an FAI email list - a regular mass email highlighting the potential of some of our lesser known and up and coming prospects could help improve their obviously limited knowledge on a more regular basis.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Of course its impressive that you did so and actually if Barry Maguire ever makes it to the senior squad I want to know who the great musicinmouth is for his/her/it's efforts.
    Six feet tall he was..... With a shock of red hair that burned like the fires of hell!!!
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_peepee View Post
    Six feet tall he was..... With a shock of red hair that burned like the fires of hell!!!
    Arms like tree trunks. Eyes like steel!
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast