Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Squad Profile

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ForzaWexford View Post
    I think it's July.

I'd like to see someone with a bit of an experience come in to play a holding role in midfield. Someone that could just sit in front of the back three and calm things down a bit.

BUT, I can't see us bringing anyone in, apart from maybe 1 or 2 local junior players.
    Can't see it happening either. Not with the ethic that Mick has in place anyway. It's an admirable stance to take, but how long can it last? I'm prepared to give it time because right from the start he asked for our patience for the first few seasons.

As for people not getting a look in; it's the same with any squad system the world over, the players have just gotta get their heads down and keep plugging away, the rewards are there and they will come to those that want it bad enough.
    "People say football is a matter of life and death, I believe it is much more important than that".

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    no point having 30 players on panel when only 18 can b picked its not fair & its a sign management dont know who their best players are
    Last edited by wexman; 11/05/2007 at 11:03 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wexman View Post
    no point having 30 players on panel when only 18 can b picked its not fair & its a sign management dont know who their best players are
    28 players were on panel at start of season. 26 on the panel now that Seve Bradley and Jason Murphy have left. There's always going to be a few players injured, or suspended. Only 16 can be picked on the night by they way, not 18.

And how could Mick and Pat have known who their best players were back when they picked the panel? How can they know now even??! It's hard to guess what players will adapt well to the LOI.

Brokenstar is right, it's only fair to give the lads a season or 2 to settle in before we really have much of a right to complain. Infact, Mick said pretty much the same thing in the papers this week.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wexman View Post
    That's a ridiculous assumption. 30 players allows for room for squad rotation, injuries and any other unforeseen circumstances that arise throughout a long and gruelling season. Come on, look at any club competing in most leagues around the world and they have squads of 25 or more players, so why should we be any different?

Also, although Mick is a novice at this level, i'd say he has a pretty good idea of who his best players are considering he's been involved in winning All Ireland cups with Wexford for so many years. There's a few in that squad that aren't hitting their stride yet and a few who are knocking on the door of the first team, he's got a great selection and all home-grown: a team to be proud of if you're from Wexford IMO.
    "People say football is a matter of life and death, I believe it is much more important than that".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Thats it Wexman, bring your "Wallace Out" banner to the next game

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    lads im just concerned that players are leaving because they are not getting a look in. i believe bradley was one of the better players on squad & now hes gone same with murphy. it would b bad if all the good players leave b4 wallace finds out they are the good players then we will b left with no one wanting 2 play for us

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    424 Posts
    Wexman why'd you delete that team you had posted up?
    It was interesting. I just didn't get a chance to comment on it at the time. I'd agree with you that the players you mentioned are probably good enough for the squad, the question is were they willing to commit?
    Overall I think the big squad was necessary, no way of knowing who would react well to such a strict regime and heavy training schedule. The big squad allowed that some players would be injured and others just not up to it.
    I'd say there could be a turnover of up to ten players come the transfer window, with some lads going back to GAA, others just not up to it and some not committed enough. Possible replaced be a few of the under 18 lads and maybe one or two of the Oscar Traynor team players you mentioned.
    I don't think that's a bad thing, and I'd say keep the squad 100% local for at least 2 seasons. We won't win anything but we will find a core group of players up to the level. I'd say at that stage Wallace will step aside and Dolan will take over and bring in some outside players and look to take the whole thing to the next level.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    the team i had up was
    L walker
    (youths)

P Malone S lawlor A Russell A Rossiter
    (Youths) (Youths) (youths) (youths)

A O Connor L Gleeson D Hawkins J Murphy
    (oscar trainer) (Oscar trainer) (youths) (ex Youths)

F Hore
    (ex Bohs)
    K Dempsey or C Bolivian
    (youths) (ex u 21 international)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Would defo agree with you on Lee in the goal and possibly Kyle up front.Seen Fran play and wasn't to impressed tbh.

Oh yea Carlos also looks a great player and will be playing Premier football next season with a very good Duncannon side imo!
    Mick Wallace's black and white army

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    That's not a bad team.....no room for Conor Sinnot, Marty Kelly or Garret Larkin though??

Mick's always going to play 3 at the back aswell, with 2 wide midfielders dropping back to defend when we don't have the ball. Did Anthony O' Connor go to the trials for this team?? I'd say he's good enough to make it. I doubt Jason Murphy will be back though, and it's his own fault really.

Leighton Gleeson would easily make the team. Fran Hore wouldn't. I'd say both Kyle and Lee will be involved with the U21's this year, don't know if Mick will pick them for the adults though.....although Kyle, on his day, is as good a striker as we have. Can't really comment on Carlos becaue I only saw him training a few times!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    anthony o connor was at trials & wasnt asked back. How was it jason murphys fault that hes not on team? as for fran hore played u21 eircom league & first team with bohemians as a striker with monaghans willie doyle who is actually from gorey another player, we could do with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    It's obvious that during the trials Anthony O' Connor wasn't showing what was asked of him, and that's his own fckin loss as far as i'm concerned. Jesus christ i'm getting so ****ed off with this attitude wexman. Everyone had a fair chance, it's how you perform over the period, your attitude, your commitment that matters. They can sit and moan all they want, they know, deep down, they lost out.

Jason Murphy gave the management an ultimatum 'Pick me, or i'm off'.... his loss as far as i'm concerned, enjoy your sunday league game son, you had your chance.

There are a few more grumbles going on around this team and those involved honestly don't have a clue. This is a chance for these lads to forge a proper footballing career for themselves. A dream of many. And some of them are prepared to **** it away because they're not getting picked after only a handful of games into the season. This shows immaturity and unprofessionalism. Mick spelled out what he wanted from these lads when they first went for the trials and those that showed it, made it. Those that didn't show their commitment, courage and some form of professionalism were left behind. This team has an ethos, a courage and unlike many other teams, a pride in what they believe in. Don't deride this, don't discourage this and most of all, if you really are from Wexford, don't take the ****.

Sorry for the rant lads. Cheers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by brokenstar View Post
    It's obvious that during the trials Anthony O' Connor wasn't showing what was asked of him, and that's his own fckin loss as far as i'm concerned. Jesus christ i'm getting so ****ed off with this attitude wexman. Everyone had a fair chance, it's how you perform over the period, your attitude, your commitment that matters. They can sit and moan all they want, they know, deep down, they lost out.

Jason Murphy gave the management an ultimatum 'Pick me, or i'm off'.... his loss as far as i'm concerned, enjoy your sunday league game son, you had your chance.

There are a few more grumbles going on around this team and those involved honestly don't have a clue. This is a chance for these lads to forge a proper footballing career for themselves. A dream of many. And some of them are prepared to **** it away because they're not getting picked after only a handful of games into the season. This shows immaturity and unprofessionalism. Mick spelled out what he wanted from these lads when they first went for the trials and those that showed it, made it. Those that didn't show their commitment, courage and some form of professionalism were left behind. This team has an ethos, a courage and unlike many other teams, a pride in what they believe in. Don't deride this, don't discourage this and most of all, if you really are from Wexford, don't take the ****.

Sorry for the rant lads. Cheers.
    agree completely with you. Hate all this sh!t saying there should be otehrs playing. Why should there be? They went to trials and were judged not good enough. And this sh!t about Hore playing eL with Bohs, so did Eoin Quigley, why arent you saying he should be starting? If he was that good how come no other eL club signed him up? And Carlos palyed with the Bolivian U21 team? I have actually been to Bolivia, and saw some league games out there and saw their senior side play, and we'll see them in the summer agaisnt Ireland too, and they are muck, so I wouldnt be saying its exactly something to be picking a player for. And sligo had him and didnt want him.

FFS this is a new team and a whole new set up, and there needs to be encouragement and support, not people whinging that lads arent given a fair go and this lad and that lad should definately be on the team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Just a word in relation to Anthony O'Connor. He was asked back but couldn't give the commitment. Haven't been that impressed with Carlos either. He's not the mutt's nuts, by any stretch. He's handy though. Does anybody know about Grangel of Ross Celtic? A big target man, who'd be well able.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I fear there'll be an exit of some other fringe players in the next couple of months with the GAA season taking off and as the novelty of being involved in this set-up wears off. We need a strong panel to compete as the season progresses.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    lads youse are on to me about being negative & then u say a point a game is great stuff. whats for the want of winning games. we play three at the back with wingers coming back to cover & its nine behind the ball. did ya see shelbourne they started out this year like us a team of new players they tried to play football & were unlucky not 2 have beat us. the way they played resembles football why cant we play like that?dont tell me we are only startin out we have played ten games now & we havent improved an ounce. teams have sussed our "system" now like monaghan & i fear we are in for a few bad results. as for players that i think should b on squad i only say this as they are players that have played at a higher standard & their experince would b vital. an international is an international. afaik hore left bohs due 2 illness & is only making his way back now. a o connor wasnt asked back nothin 2 do with commitment. there were other players out there at the trials i would also have in team but werent picked. me thinks its nothing 2 do with them not being good enough i think the team was picked before any trial. The lads that were picked were who mick knows. thats understandable but y not give the others a chance 2. if players have played at an international level and el level before its not because they won a raffle its bacause they are good players. im only sayin this for the good of the team i want 2 c us succeed. im all for wexford youths but its easy 2 do things right as it is wrong. look at sunderland things were done right they got 2 the premiership if they hadnt made the changes they would have stayed were they were.lets move on lets play football we have the facilities the players & a good man in wallace

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    I'm just saying now but yer defence against us was in shambles in fairness like.
    COBH RAMBLERS- FIRST DIVISION CHAMPIONS '07

Equality for the rams:(

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cici900 View Post
    I'm just saying now but yer defence against us was in shambles in fairness like.
    In the first half maybe but your defence was no great shakes in the second half. We have the power to go places with experience and giving less respect to average teams.Watch this space!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by new blue View Post
    In the first half maybe but your defence was no great shakes in the second half. We have the power to go places with experience and giving less respect to average teams.Watch this space!
    Fair play new blue. All these experiences will make us a stronger squad. The lads were disappointed after Saturday night and no-one more so than Jason Russell. We're getting stronger as each game goes by, so watch this space is right!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123