Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wexford Youths in

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Mite just look up my old mates from Kilmore Quay too and make a nice weekend of it down there. Its great having fresh places to go to!

Actually monutdfc they r ur old mates too!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Relax, nobody's begrudging them anything. Some of us think the name is rubbish but nobody wished them anything but success.
    Presumably that includes a cup win in Inchicore next season - or maybe back-to-back league wins over Pats the season after
    Less Whining
    Less Moaning

What are YOU doing to make it better?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Well obviously not that much success but I hope they survive and prosper
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Relax, nobody's begrudging them anything. Some of us think the name is rubbish but nobody wished them anything but success.
    Absolutely. Some people aren't happy until they can find someone else to call a begrudger, the better to polish their own halo.
    For what it's worth, I wish them the very best too, and I think it's fantastic to see an Irish business figure invest in Irish football, instead of moronically going off to Glasgow or Peter-bloody-borough. So congratulations to Mick Wallace.
    Chances are they'll get good crowds, especially for games with Dublin clubs, since half the population (at least the ones who can afford to holiday in Ireland) spends summer in Wexford anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    It's official at last! From what I've read in this thread and the little I know about the team, here's what I have to say..

There are no heated seats on the bench! They're going to be something like this.

There isn't any access to the ground off the main road. You have to turn off the N11 and drive around to the "back" of the complex. It only takes 2 or 3 minutes.

As for the ground itself, Wallace has built a very nice clubhouse, has 2 UEFA standard pitches, 3 artificial 5-a-side size training pitches, and 1 floodlit artificial training area which is twice as big as the others. Wallace has received planning permission to build another building (mainly for a gym I think), and has applied for planning permission to build a 3,000 seater stand.

The home kit is going to be O' Neills, and will be a black jersey, black knicks and black socks. I'm not sure, but I think the away kit might be orange and white.

And there's nothing wrong with the name! The vast majority of the preliminary squad are local players and a lot of them have played under Mick at U-18 level.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ForzaWexford View Post
    It's official at last! From what I've read in this thread and the little I know about the team, here's what I have to say..

There are no heated seats on the bench! They're going to be something like this.

There isn't any access to the ground off the main road. You have to turn off the N11 and drive around to the "back" of the complex. It only takes 2 or 3 minutes.

As for the ground itself, Wallace has built a very nice clubhouse, has 2 UEFA standard pitches, 3 artificial 5-a-side size training pitches, and 1 floodlit artificial training area which is twice as big as the others. Wallace has received planning permission to build another building (mainly for a gym I think), and has applied for planning permission to build a 3,000 seater stand.

The home kit is going to be O' Neills, and will be a black jersey, black knicks and black socks. I'm not sure, but I think the away kit might be orange and white.

And there's nothing wrong with the name! The vast majority of the preliminary squad are local players and a lot of them have played under Mick at U-18 level.
    Brilliant. Look forward to going there when you come up. Still think the name's naff. What if you sign Vinny Arkins?
    edit: We have some black gear knockin' around if you want it...
    Last edited by BohDiddley; 06/02/2007 at 10:51 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    can only make assumptions, but I assume the kit will be like the youth one he has been using for years. Its an all black kit with white trim. Cant for the life of me find a picture of it anywhere but there are loads of pictures of previous squads and teams in the local papers. There was even a picture last week of the u.16 squad. He is putting in turnstiles at the ground at the moment and getting it up to safety requirements. I'd expect a big crowd to turn up for the first game out of pure interest and filter away a bit after that, but I'd still reckon it would attract quite a sizeable attendance each week. The youth teams get good attendances for their games in the championships.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Wish them well but recent experience shows that you have to be wary of a one man club. At least Ollie had Fenlon/Keely/Rico etc. to look after things like picking the team (still not clear what Dolan's role will be). To be fair, Wallace has a slightly more successful track record than Ollie did before taking over a football club.
    SIGNATURESCOPE

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Best of luck and welcome to the league.

Some travelling for us though - Cobh, Waterford, Wexford, Kilkenny, Limerick (assuming they get in) with Athlone and Kildare also half the length of the country.

Looking forward to an new away trip.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    I think Wallace has made it pretty clear that he's looking to establish the club himself then move to one side. Obviously he'll be the major financial backer, but he has the support of the Wexford league and will be looking to them to be actively involved in the future of the team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Great to see Wallace putting his money into Irish football ... good man Mick!

But black kit? Strange, I think he should have gone for the county colours.

bhs

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    All the very best to Wexford in the eircom League. Looking forward to coming down there and wrecking yis twice this season
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Incidentally isn't it a bit ominous for L37 that the FAI have made no similar announcement for them yet? They've had the applications for ages at this stage after all.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The names shocking... Wexford Wanderers or something even might of been decent...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Galway Harps View Post
    Incidentally isn't it a bit ominous for L37 that the FAI have made no similar announcement for them yet? They've had the applications for ages at this stage after all.
    Article in the Indo says they had to suspend work on the L37 application for 2 weeks due to the injunction but are working through it and hope to have an announcement in the next week or two.

I'd be surprised if they didn't get in either.

Hoping to draw Wexford in the Cup and if there's someone who is well placed to build a good ground quickly, its got to be Mick Wallace!

Good to see some positive news in relation to the League for a change.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Can we get a Wexford section included in the eircom League Clubs forum here? Can't wait to meet their fans.
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Any ideas who'll they sign up for this season? Will they start with a selection from the Wexford Youth team they have? Or will just play Shels home and away to keep it fair?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeza View Post
    The names shocking... Wexford Wanderers or something even might of been decent...
    I think he chose to name to emphasise that the club is a continuation of the Wexford District underage teams that he's been running for years.

Also I heard he is Juventus season ticket holder and Juventus is Latin for "Youth".

Needless to say good luck to them.
    Last edited by paudie; 06/02/2007 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Forgot something
    I'm what? I'm ants at a picnic?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    I don't see why people are going on about the club being set up as a feeder club. Cork have sold 3 players recently to Reading whether they wanted to or not and joking aside they are no one's feeder club. If a player emerges from this league good enough to play for Reading or indeed any of the top two flights in England, he will almost certainly be off. If Wexford could actually produce that kind of a player on a regular basis then I'll take my hat off to them.

I think the club will be a very interesting experiment with some good promise. They been solidly built up from the grass roots, have excellent facilities and strong financial backing. It remains to be seen how successful their local only policy will be and how long they'll retain it for. There'll also be questions hanging over the whole thing with Pat Dolan about but that's not to say he couldn't prove to be quite positive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    I'm sorry to say I`ve never actually been to Wexford (rosslare port hardly counts), def looking forward to a trip down this summer

Welcome aboard lads.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast