Results 1,481 to 1,494 of 1494

Thread: John O'Shea

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Interesting idea. I don't think it's a main reason - I think other social media is definitely #1 - but it could well be a reason alright.

Yet in a way, if members know each other and get on, that's a positive. But I suppose like everything, you're right that it can be daunting for an outsider. Albeit there's relatively new posters like otoh, DCWA, Snapshot, JR89 and so on who have jumped in just fine. But that's not to say it'd be the same for everyone.

I wonder is there any way of alleviating what you mention? I think other forums have a thread for new members to introduce themselves - or is that a bit over the top?
    Fair enough, I'd retract the "main reason" but it's certainly a factor. In fairness, if you're posting good insight and good content thats relative to the thread, you do tend to get some sort of interaction with your posts. Not sure about a thread for new members, maybe a bit cringy but that's just my personal opinion and others may disagree.

I think this forum does stick to the football end of things better than other well known forums, which I like. Also, as you say, if members are familiar with each other and get on, then that's an incentive for coming back to the forum.

Anyway, just a thought..

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    I dunno. To me, a nightmare is being chased at full speed through a postapocalyptic urban landscape by 11 axe-wielding Jack Grealishes in full England kit, finding an escape tunnel their thighs are too big to fit through and crawling through it only to emerge in an underground bunker full of cackling Declan Rices that invite you to look at their World Cup Winners medals and you look at a calendar on the wall and see that the year is 2026... haven't experienced anything like that at Ireland games recently, but everyone's experience is different.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,631 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I wonder is there any way of alleviating what you mention? I think other forums have a thread for new members to introduce themselves - or is that a bit over the top?
    I don't know. I think we could step it up a little bit and run an orientation/onboarding day for new members. Bring in coffee and muffins. Have DaHamsta kick off the day with a few words of welcome, who we are, where we're going, that sort of thing. Then an intro to the forum heads Tets and John can give an overview of the rules, have new members sign the code of conduct and respectful forum policy. Then meet their mentor/trainer that they signed up with for a bit - Stutts, OwlsFan, yourself probably - tell them who they need to contact if they need something. A quick tour of the place - a walk through the hall of fame (eirebhoy) and hall of shame (paul, boomers) before wrapping up the day with some door prizes (first one to get a thanks, first one to post totty, first one to venture into the intermediate and junior leagues, first one to **** off DaHamsta).

I dont know, might be a bit much.

4. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,227 Posts
    Well if we take it there's 50-100 of us here, and if as a rule of thumb there's 9 lurkers for each poster, that'd make 450-900 lurkers reading your suggestion. So let's pretend we'll go ahead with it and see how many of them take us up on it

(As an aside - welcome, LurcherLover!)

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    858 Posts
    Welcome Lurcher Lover, you did encounter an A hole of this place on your first visit or two, I remember and its nice you are back.

There are a number ( of badly needed ) relatively new posters here, if you consider the mentioned core are 2003 to 2009 era joiners. elatedscum / OTOH / 2 Year Contract, are fairly new ones as well as the ones already mentioned. I don't think its a difficult group dynamic to join into either for the most part, its decent people, albeit several know each other beyond here at this stage so there is a familiarity maybe. Kenny brought out the very worst in those who didn't want him for some bizarre reason but that too will pass.

I really think it is generational and online generation spans are much shorter, I was talking to the best man at my brothers wedding, ST at a LOI club, goes to Ireland games, mad for it and did not know of the existence of this forum, he is 21. Also, when I took up my current role I had to know and be on good terms with regional newspaper editors and entertainment journos, in 2007 it was vital, then Facebook came and within two years I didn't need to know their names even. Now I am dealing with an emerging group who view Facebook as something their parents had, they don't use email addresses either in several instances. So a place like this, they are unlikely to end up I guess.

It is what it is, some new quality opinions are always welcome but when I look around its still better than the options in terms of interesting dialogue even if with certain posters you know before they post which way they are likely to see a thing.
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Let's all form a virtual circle, hold hands and sing kumbaya. Feel the love, share the compassion, heed the call, sack the manager (Ok, I made that last bit up).

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    I don't know. I think we could step it up a little bit and run an orientation/onboarding day for new members. Bring in coffee and muffins. Have DaHamsta kick off the day with a few words of welcome, who we are, where we're going, that sort of thing.
    I dont know, might be a bit much.
    Some of us are getting so old we'd need day passes from the nursing home to attend.

But for the kids who are going to replace us, we should introduce this sort of thing for every September.

Maybe we could nominate someone to be a representative at the next home game.....signing people up, handing out badges and foot.ie clackers and that kind of thing.....

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    The forum is definitely quieter over time, but that's mainly down to two factors: YBIG competes with foot for users and forums are mostly for old people.
    Theres also a lot more traffic around games. Theres very little going on at the moment to talk about to be fair.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Confirmed as assistant to Wayne Rooney at Birmingham. Will continue in his role with Ireland too (or as England under-21 assistant, according to Sky Sports News reporter).
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,314 Posts
    Stepping down from his coaching role at Birmingham
    https://www.bcfc.com/news/all/john-oshea-departs-blues

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    92 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Stepping down from his coaching role at Birmingham
    https://www.bcfc.com/news/all/john-oshea-departs-blues
    I thought that John O'Shea was a smart guy - hooking his star to Rooney was always going to end badly.

He will have to start from scratch to rebuild his reputation if he wants to have a coaching career (things have not gone well so far).

15. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Interesting to see where John O'Shea goes from here ?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    752 Posts
    Missed out on a tour card in the darts today as well so that's another option off the table.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

18. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Interesting to see where John O'Shea goes from here ?
    I wouldn't rule out the rep of Ireland

certainly a poor choice, but its the FAI

Page 75 of 75 FirstFirst ... 2565737475