Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 23 of 75 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast

Thread: John O'Shea

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    What is it about Irish fans, they always have to be moaning about some player. Kilbane, Carsley, Harte, O'Shea etc etc

Does anybody seriously think that O'Shea doesn't try when he plays for Ireland or that he doesn't care if they lose?

O'Shea was Ireland's best player in the Under 16 team that won the Euro Championships in Scotland and was the best player all the way up to under 21level, there is no doubting his talent. He is the only current Irish player with the kind of European and big game experience as he has.

He has suffered because he rarely plays two games in succession in the one position and he is not, i repeat, not a midfielder. Whether it's at club level or international level, he always seems to be shunted around.

What he really needs to do to get his career back on track is to get a move away from Man Utd and go to a team where he will play week in week out at centre half

He also needs know nothing idiots to get off his back when he playing for Ireland as like the rest of the team, he needs support more than he needs barracking.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Personally I would never boo an Irish player but in fairness KF you have to understand peoples frustration with the fella.His first game where he stood out for being awful was against Swiss away under Kerr and since then hes gone from bad to worse.He lacks focus and concentration and is not agressive enough.Think of that penalty he gave away against Israel and if you cant pass a ball against Cyprus and San Marino when can you?Seems like a decent fella and Keane& Ferguson seems to respect him but hes beginning to seem like a lost cause.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    And what does booing do?

You saw the reaction of the players against the Czechs when everybody got behind the team.

If he is that bad, it's up to Staunton to drop him not to have the crowd booing his every touch - who does that help?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    In the upper East, didn't notice any booing.

A few Ironic "Shoot!'s" , a fair bit of exasperated groaning some "oh no's", and the occasional "Jaysus!!!" but no booing that I could make out...
    On the way into the stadium, an elderly San Marino Steward waved us in and said "Tonight, may the best team win"

And they nearly did.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KildareFan View Post
    Does anybody seriously think that O'Shea doesn't try when he plays for Ireland or that he doesn't care if they lose?
    No, I dont.

He is the only current Irish player with the kind of European and big game experience as he has.
    This doesnt automatically make him a good player.

He also needs know nothing idiots to get off his back when he playing for Ireland as like the rest of the team, he needs support more than he needs barracking.
    Anybody who boos, which is in my book a valid form of criticism, is a "know nothing idiot"?

And what does booing do?

If he is that bad, it's up to Staunton to drop him not to have the crowd booing his every touch - who does that help?
    Booing him tells Staunton that a certain section of fans do not want O'Shea to be on the field.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    On the count of blaming o shea for Kollers goal , i thought the goalie was pretty bad too, also thought Mcshane was good in that game but Carsley should have got man of the match
    George Burley for Ireland,
    Stevie we love you more and more as a player every time we see John O Shea at left back(or right), but leave the managin to the managers

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Was in the lower west stand, and couldn't hear any booing. I think this whole thing has been blown out of proportion.

Anyone who boos their own players during a game clearly has no real interest in supporting the team. Ignorant fools...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    [QUOTE=osarusan;576759]

Anybody who boos, which is in my book a valid form of criticism, is a "know nothing idiot"?

QUOTE]

Anybody who boos one of their one players in a 5-0 stroll in the park against San Marino is an idiot in my book. I don't really agree with booing anyone on your own team but there are occasions when I can understand it.

I can't understand why anybody would boo their own player in a such a comfortable game as the one on Wednesday though.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Booing him tells Staunton that a certain section of fans do not want O'Shea to be on the field.
    I bet he couldn't give a sh*t about a certain section, and rightly so.
    A manager picking a team based on who the fans boo, thats ludicrous. What next?????

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nedder View Post
    Anyone who boos their own players during a game clearly has no real interest in supporting the team. Ignorant fools...
    A person feels so passionately about the lack of abilities / attitude of one player, and the damage that the lack of abilities could inflict on the team as a whole, so they decide to boo the player in order to make their concerns known.

This makes them an ignorant fool?

I am not saying that the motivation above was everybodys motivation, but I cant see many booing for no reason other than they dont want O Shea to be playing.

Booing to express this opinion is in my book a valid method of criticism, and certainly not ignorant.

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    A lot of the criticism for O'Shea is very unfair IMO. No matter what happens he is almost always the one to receive the most stick. I have to laugh at people pointing the blame soley on him for not winning the Czech game, let alone the goal.

I've seen him play for Man Utd since he broke into the first team and his performances were excellent for player with no experience of playing at such a level. 8/10 times he puts in a decent performance for Man Utd, even in midfield.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DmanDmythDledge View Post
    A lot of the criticism for O'Shea is very unfair IMO. No matter what happens he is almost always the one to receive the most stick. I have to laugh at people pointing the blame soley on him for not winning the Czech game, let alone the goal.

I've seen him play for Man Utd since he broke into the first team and his performances were excellent for player with no experience of playing at such a level. 8/10 times he puts in a decent performance for Man Utd, even in midfield.
    I dont give a sh*t how he plays for man united. He is useless for Ireland and puts in no effort.

Saying that i wouldnt boo a player. Its not his fault hes being picked

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Well surely a player should be dropped on form, not whether the crowd were booing. Having said that he surely needs to be dropped now, there is little argument fro him not to be. If he were with Aston Villa or Reading or another middle table side he surely would have been dropped at this stage. Stan made the claim along the line that he who gets the shirt and plays well keeps it(I cant remember the way he phrased it actually), then he goes and picks O'Shea ahead of Kelly who was immense against the Cechs and played excellent for Birmingham since. On a final note can anyone actually remember O'Shea playing a very good game for us. Im saying all this and im actually a Man United fan!!!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

We're not talking about Man United though are we?

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by micls View Post
    I dont give a sh*t how he plays for man united. He is useless for Ireland and puts in no effort.

Saying that i wouldnt boo a player. Its not his fault hes being picked
    Quote Originally Posted by Collyontour View Post
    We're not talking about Man United though are we?
    My point was that he has the talent. Sorry for not explaining that properly.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    I don't think he'd be in the team if he wasn't a regular for Man U. The fact that he is a regular for Man U also makes it more annoying he's so cr*p for us. I don't like booing our own players, but I agree he is the laziest f*cker in an Ireland shirt since I failed to get off my a*se in a Stuttgart bar to go to the Mercedes museum.
    This is the cooooooooooooolest footy forum I've ever seen!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    He definitely needs to pick a position, he should probably leave united to do this. At the current rate, hes going nowhere...
    "A silent mouth is sweet to hear"

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    O'Shea has become a bit of a scrapgoat. He has lost his confidence and being booed by his own "supporters" should help that! Other Irish players who have been booed include Mick Martin, John Giles, Don Givens so O'Shea is in good company. I thought O'Shea had a very good game against the Czechs in his favored position of centre half.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    My point was that he has the talent. Sorry for not explaining that properly.
    But that makes it even more frustrating.

Players who just arent any good youll accept as long as they give their all.

Now either he doesnt have the talent or he doesnt give his all. The first you can defend the second is indefensible

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelys Guitar View Post
    I thought O'Shea had a very good game against the Czechs in his favored position of centre half.

I agree 100%. But what about the one moment where he AWOL, turned his back on the play and exposed his central defensive partner, making his debut, to an experienced European striker. That does not absolve McShane and particulary Henderson but if he had bust his balls to get back then who knows what might have happened. What did happen is he meandered back and we conceded the only fraction of a chance we had of qualifying. We were playign amateurs on Wednesday and he didn't look out of place for a pub player

Page 23 of 75 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast