Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2007 Major League Baseball Season

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

2007 Major League Baseball Season

Any baseball fans here? I'm a Yankee fan. The original New York Yankees that is, not the ones up in Boston who call themselves the Red Sox and pretend they aren't as much of a big spending baseball empire as we are.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts

I'm a red sox fan! bit early to start off that sort of talk is it not?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    I'm a Red Sox fan and it is way to early to start talking baseball.
    Check out my new sports blog http://www.action81.com

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    NY Mets fan here.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Never too early

If the Sox get Helton then they have an excellent lineup and one that will eat pitchers alive. If Matzusaka is anywhere near as good as advertised, Schilling has one more in the tank and Beckett can adjust to the AL, I rate them to win the AL East

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Soko View Post
    Never too early

If the Sox get Helton then they have an excellent lineup and one that will eat pitchers alive. If Matzusaka is anywhere near as good as advertised, Schilling has one more in the tank and Beckett can adjust to the AL, I rate them to win the AL East
    I would agree that the Sox would look better on paper than the Yankees if they get Helton. However, this was also true many years in the last 11 and only once did it really amount to anything.

The payrolls are now amazingly close and virtually the same if you factor in the Matsuzaka/Igawa posting payments, so it will be interesting to see who used their resources better.

Ironically, I think it will come down to how the young players -- the ones not driving up the $150 million payrolls -- perform. I think guys like Phil Hughes, Robinson Cano, Dustin Pedroia, Jon Papelbon, JB Cox, Melky Cabrera, Manny Delcarmen, Craig Hansen, Jacoby Ellsbury, etc will be the difference makers in the race.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    I like the baseball. Followed the Redsox during my time in the states as we had a poor choice of TV channels in our house so it was one of the few things worth watching.
    Was also at a game in the Skydome between Toronto and Tampa Bay so I have a soft spot for the Jays.
    TO TELL THE TRUTH IS REVOLUTIONARY

The ONLY foot.ie user with a type of logic named after them!

All of this has happened before. All of it will happen again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Red Sox as well. Ive been to Fenway about a dozen times.

If Papelbom can get over his shoulder problems and prove a success as a starter rather than a closer then things could look up for Beantown. It also looks like Manny is staying, so if he can get that chip of his shoulder and play to his max potential then it could be a better year than last.

Lets not forget Big Papi!!
    As Irishmen we dilute our sense of nation by depending on the English to bring us our balls

Formerly: dublinharp carrickharp's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Heading yet again to the States this summer (Staying in Boston for a few days first) for the oul holidays hoping to get to Fenway for a match hopefully the game against the White Sox which is on the weekend we land there, great old ground only at one game there back in 1999 can’t really remember much about the match!!
    “Jockey Wilson . . . What an athlete.” - Sid Waddell
    www.donegaldarts.com

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dublinharp View Post
    Heading yet again to the States this summer (Staying in Boston for a few days first) for the oul holidays hoping to get to Fenway for a match hopefully the game against the White Sox which is on the weekend we land there, great old ground only at one game there back in 1999 can’t really remember much about the match!!
    If you can get to a Red Sox - Yankees game, I recommend it highly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Seattle Mariners fan myself. Hoping that this season will be a big improvement on last year.
    That question was less stupid, though you asked it in a profoundly stupid way.

Help me, Arthur Murphy, you're my only hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    I bow to no one. bar Bluebeard and Mr A

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebeard View Post
    Seattle Mariners fan myself. Hoping that this season will be a big improvement on last year.
    We all carry our crosses!!

I follow a few teams, Braves in the NL and A's in the AL and also keep and interest in the Diamondbacks as I spend a fair bit of time in Arizona.

Very keen to see a Sox v Yankees game in Fenway but have been put off by the availability of tickets and the ridiculous prices charged by agencies and scalpers.

Don't suppose anyone on here has any contacts?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I know quite a lot of people with Fenway season tickets but you can never get Yankee tickets off them. They're too important for clients etc... and you usually end up with Kansas City tickets. Not like I cared too much anway

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Minnesota Twins fan meself

Was marooned in Minneapolis a few years back so got into it. They were a good team back then - they had Milton and Guardado - but they always choked either in the playoffs or the AL championship game (usually to the Yankees).

I hope they have a better season this year.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Anyone see this story.... he's richer than them all..

Unknown Dodgers pitcher from Mass. could be rock star
    By Associated Press
    Thursday, March 1, 2007 - Updated: 07:11 AM EST

VERO BEACH, Fla. - Matt White, a journeyman pitcher trying to make the Los Angeles Dodgers, could become baseball’s first billionaire player.

It has nothing to do with the Windsor, native’s arm. He owns a rock quarry in Cummington.

White, who has appeared in seven big league games in nine professional seasons, paid $50,000 three years ago to buy 50 acres of land from an elderly aunt who needed the money to pay for a nursing home.

While clearing out a couple acres to build a home, he discovered stone ledges in the ground, prompting him to have the property surveyed.

A geologist estimated there were 24 million tons of the stone on his land. The stone is being sold for upward of $100 per ton, meaning there’s well over $2 billion worth of material used for sidewalks, patios and the like.

Of course, that doesn’t factor in the expenses involved in processing the stone and transporting it for sale.

”It sounds bogus even saying those numbers,” White said. ”I’m just a small town guy trying to get to the big leagues. It’s beyond comprehension.”

The news has prompted some of White’s teammates to refer to him as ”The Billionaire,” but the 29-year-old left-hander isn’t counting his money just yet.

”There are a lot of questions,” he said. ”It takes time, it takes money, it takes machines. There are professionals who handle that stuff.”

White’s father has been involved in selling the stone, but it’s presently a small-time operation.

”I guess you could say the property is for sale,” White said with a chuckle. ”We’ll have to see how things turn out. I don’t even know where to start. I’m in the process now of getting in touch with business-savvy guys, finding out how much to ask.”

White said he doesn’t feel like he’s wealthy, which he isn’t quite yet.

”Not at all. I don’t live like a rich man,” he said. ”I’m a minor league guy who’s played winter ball to make ends meet.”

Dr. Peter Pannish, an adjunct professor in the department of geosciences at the University of Massachusetts, surveyed the property several months ago. He said he believes the stone was formed about 400 million years ago.

”It’s basically a slabby rock that can be used for sidewalks, building faces and stone walls,” Pannish said from his Amherst, office. ”You can use it for a lot of other things, like flagstone on a patio. There are some sidewalks right here on campus that are made of that same rock.”

Pannish said he believes White could sell his property for several million dollars, or more.

”As far as hundreds of millions, I doubt if that’s possible because of all the expenses that would have to be considered,” Pannish said. ”But it could be quite a bit of money. He probably needs a mining engineer or an economic geologist to come up with a good evaluation.” [continue]
    1 | 2 | Next »

Rate this article1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    i follow the orioles - they aren't very good but hopefully this season will mark a turnaround in their fortunes. i have family in baltimore & was over at a game a couple of years ago (vs red sox). beautiful stadium, shame about the team!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by d rovers View Post
    i follow the orioles - they aren't very good but hopefully this season will mark a turnaround in their fortunes. i have family in baltimore & was over at a game a couple of years ago (vs red sox). beautiful stadium, shame about the team!
    Stadium's wonderful but their owner is a complete fool. The Orioles won't be right until he sells it off. The good news for them is that Cal Ripken Jr is interested in buying them and he'll respect the team too much to let any of this garbage continue. But until Peter Angelos sells, the Yankees and Red Sox don't have to worry much about the Orioles.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gnasher View Post
    Minnesota Twins fan meself

Was marooned in Minneapolis a few years back so got into it. They were a good team back then - they had Milton and Guardado - but they always choked either in the playoffs or the AL championship game (usually to the Yankees).

I hope they have a better season this year.
    The outlook for the Twins is pretty good. The have some nice young players and one of the best General Managers in the game who is constantly supplying them with good young talent. Between Johan Santana, Joe Mauer and Justin Morneau they have the core of an excellent team. The only downside for them is that they play in a tough division and will have to fight it out against the White Sox, Tigers and Indians. If they were in the AL West or the National League, they'd probably be a lock for the playoffs.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebeard View Post
    Probably not until Bill Bavasi is out as GM. He made a terrible trade this offseason to get an over the hill Jose Vidro for two of the M's best prospects. He's widely regarded as the worst GM in the game and it appears that Ichiro may even leave town after this season. I doubt Seattle's Japanese owner will allow that to happen, but it just may. I do think moving Ichiro to CF is an excellent move though. On another positive note, Felix Hernandez will be fun to watch. Hopefully he will stay healthy and show the dominance he had in the minors. When a pitcher makes it to the majors under the age of 20, he is a special, special talent.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts
    Well, who is going to win it, starts in a few days time

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast