Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: O'Grady - This is the end it appears!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

O'Grady - This is the end it appears!

Rovers fail with O’Grady offer

January 24, 2007

Sligo Rovers have failed with a bid to make midfielder Conor O’Grady a full-time employee at the club.

O’Grady was one of three local part-timers to leave the club as part of new manager Rob McDonald’s aim to implement a full-time set-up at the Showgrounds.

Rovers had a rethink and decided to offer the former Cork City and Derry City star a position which would make him an employee of the club on a full-time basis and also combine playing duties with the Bit O’Red.

But O’Grady has opted against a return to the Showgrounds in order to keep his current job outside the game.

Club chairman Michael Toolan said: “Myself and Rob revisited the situation regarding Conor to see if something could be worked out and we came up with the best package that I have seen in my time with the club, a deal that would see Conor work for the club full-time, while also playing.

“I put it to Conor and he asked for a couple of days to consider it. I hoped it would have been a win-win situation for both parties. I don’t know Conor’s current financial situation, but, to me, it was an extremely good offer.”

“Conor thanked me for the offer, but he opted to remain in his current job. Unfortunately we cannot change the situation and we all just have to look ahead. Conor has been a great servant to the club and I wish him the very best of luck wherever his football takes him.”

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Could you source that article?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    weekender
    Whats that comin' over the hill

It's the Monster,

The Cookie Monster!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    This is a load of ******, they were asked to review their policy on Full Timers, not make the lad another offer, sure if he couldn’t accept an attractive offer 3 weeks ago why would he accept one now that involves more work?? I think the rumours are starting to look even more plausible. Do some members of the committee really want him there???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Maybe they did "Review the policy" and decided that, all things considered, Full time is still the way to go. That review meant offering O Grady a better package than before.
    Personally I would love to see O'Grady back as a Full Timer. He was great last season but did look tired toward the end of the season. The full Time regime would have made a better player.
    My opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I agree the club has comeback with a better offer (assuming this considering it took him a few days to decide) and he said No. Move on! Quality player not willing to make the jump and club sticking to new policy.

No player is bigger than the club.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SRFC Head View Post
    No player is bigger than the club.
    Exactly. I remember last year when Raf left us their was a lot of supporters upset but we did alright so no reason why we can do the same next season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    yea but you'd have to feel a little worried as some do at the current situation. New manager, few players, every other club seems to be making moves and building their squads. People are asking questions about Rovers.
    Whats that comin' over the hill

It's the Monster,

The Cookie Monster!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Only1Rovers View Post
    yea but you'd have to feel a little worried as some do at the current situation. New manager, few players, every other club seems to be making moves and building their squads. People are asking questions about Rovers.
    It was late in the pre season last year and the season before when we signed players

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Guts&Glory View Post
    we came up with the best package that I have seen in my time with the club, a deal that would see Conor work for the club full-time, while also playing.
    can anybody clarify this ? is this basically saying conor o'grady would have to also have worked for the club in some capacity ? so apparently they offered him a better deal to go full-time but only if he also worked for the club outside of training / playing ?

anyway something is not right or maybe it's just down to conor not wanting to become full-time full stop. i agree no player (or non-player for that matter) is bigger than the club but will be sad to see conor playing for another team. was great watching him play last two season's.