Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Dutch Defect to PDC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

Dutch Defect to PDC

Jelle Klaasen, Michael Van Gerwen and Vincent Van Der Voort have all joined the PDC in another body-blow for the BDO after Raymond Van Barneveld made the move last year. Van Der Voort is known for having the fastest throw in darts, Jelle Klaasen is the 2006 BDO World Champ and 17 year-old Van Gerwen was tipped to have a very-bright future in the BDO (and I think he may have beaten Martin Adams in the masters or dutch openfinal in 2006).

Another coup for the PDC who will also apparently get Mervin King when his contract expires around this time next year. I dont blame the lads, they want to be pro-dart players and to be fair the PDC probably supports this ambiton more (more TV and money). At the moment the BDO seems to be only holding up based on the fact that as the ``official body`` of darts they compete in the world-cup and have the womens division - I wonder if the PDC has any plans fo womens and team darts.

Either way, I'll be shocked if we don't get plenty of dutch champions over the next two decades.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevo Da Gull View Post
    Jelle Klaasen, Michael Van Gerwen and Vincent Van Der Voort have all joined the PDC in another body-blow for the BDO after Raymond Van Barneveld made the move last year. Van Der Voort is known for having the fastest throw in darts, Jelle Klaasen is the 2006 BDO World Champ and 17 year-old Van Gerwen was tipped to have a very-bright future in the BDO (and I think he may have beaten Martin Adams in the masters or dutch openfinal in 2006).

Another coup for the PDC who will also apparently get Mervin King when his contract expires around this time next year. I dont blame the lads, they want to be pro-dart players and to be fair the PDC probably supports this ambiton more (more TV and money). At the moment the BDO seems to be only holding up based on the fact that as the ``official body`` of darts they compete in the world-cup and have the womens division - I wonder if the PDC has any plans fo womens and team darts.

Either way, I'll be shocked if we don't get plenty of dutch champions over the next two decades.
    Once Barney left BDO, it took the glamour away from them. Was very boring this year and the final was like the PDC, fix crossed my mind.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

Another coup for the PDC who will also apparently get Mervin King when his contract expires around this time next year.
    Did'nt have to wait that long in the end, Mervyn King has joined the PDC. The BDO are threatening legal action against King who was under contract to compete at the BDO World Championship at the end of this year.

They have also accused the PDC of needing to poach players to stay alive. A bit of a pointles comment I reckon, the PDC are just better than the BDO and moaning about them is unlikely to change that - should probably focus more on injecting money and getting more television exposure than whining. The BDO do have events that could attract viewers - The 4 `Grand Slam` titles, being The Lakeside World Professional Championship, Topic International Darts League, Bavaria World Darts Trophy and The Winmau World Masters which are all televised in Holland I believe and the World Cup is unique in the sense that you can't see team darts with the PDC and so it could be promoted more on television.
    I definately think the BDO could be doing more to compete with the PDC anyhow, but they are a good bit behind at the moment.

Formerly: dublinharp carrickharp's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Two more players move to the PDC:

TEENAGER Toon Greebe has become the latest Dutch youngster to follow Raymond van Barneveld into the PDC ranks.

The Bullitt Junior IDL Semi-Finalist last year, Greebe has impressed many on the Dutch circuit and twice hit nine-dart legs in 2006.

He reached the quarter-finals of last weekend's Dutch Open, but has now opted to move full-time onto the PDC circuit, having previously competed in the Blue Square UK Open Scottish Regional Final last November.

Tony Martin - joins fellow countrymen Michael van Gerwen, Jelle Klaasen and Vincent van der Voort in joining the PDPA since the turn of the year.

Dutch-based Englishman Tony Martin has also moved to the PDC, and competed in the UK Open South-West Regional Final on Saturday, defeating Chris Dale and Andy Callaby before losing to Steve Smith.

Martin has previously played in the 2005 Lakeside Championship, where he lost to Simon Whitlock.
    “Jockey Wilson . . . What an athlete.” - Sid Waddell
    www.donegaldarts.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

Van Gerwen makes an impact!!

Teenager Van Gerwen threw a 9 darter yesterday despite losing in the Masters semi-final against Van Barneveld. Van Barneveld will play Peter Manley in the final after he came back from 5-3 (and 2-0 in legs in the 9th set) to win 6-5 against Mervyn King.

You can see the 9darter on www.youtube.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    apparently the bdo are sueing klaasen and mervyn king because of breach of contract

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Teenager Van Gerwen threw a 9 darter yesterday despite losing in the Masters semi-final against Van Barneveld. Van Barneveld will play Peter Manley in the final after he came back from 5-3 (and 2-0 in legs in the 9th set) to win 6-5 against Mervyn King.

You can see the 9darter on www.youtube.com
    Any chance of the link to it?

Formerly: dublinharp carrickharp's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Link Here love the way he starts it off not the usual 180 start.
    “Jockey Wilson . . . What an athlete.” - Sid Waddell
    www.donegaldarts.com