Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man City - Dunne - Ireland

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts

Man City - Dunne - Ireland

The game is on PPmate Sports - Live Sports 2 if you have PPmate, may be on other streaming software too.
    Last edited by tricky_colour; 16/01/2007 at 7:48 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Don't forget about Whelan and Coughlan lining out for the Owls
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Ireland just put City up with a nice finish after a run from Barton. Ireland and Barton have been City's best players so far.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    If Barton does go to Everton, should be a nice opportunity for Ireland.
    "A silent mouth is sweet to hear"

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    very impressive display by ireland i thought, hardly gave the ball away the whole game, very composed on the ball, gave numerous defence splitting passes, good energy, a goal(10 yards out with no keeper,comfortable finish), and only a fantastic goal-line clearance in the last minute from whelan prevented a second goal after a lovely dribble in the box. note to stan; he played in a pretty advanced central role alongside barton and dabo in a three man midfield where any defensive frailties would not be exposed. i must say i like him as a player, definitely deserves a place in the squad, probably not the starting line up but an option nonetheless. dunne didnt have to do much, didnt make any mistakes, a few decent interventions that you would expect him to make.
    journeyman coughlan had a pretty poor night, missed one glaring chance and didnt convince at all defensively.
    whelan i thought probably didnt have one of his better games. no doubting his commitment and work-rate(excellent effort), but, tonight at least, his range of passing wouldnt catch the eye. he kept things moving nicely, not too many stray passes, decent enough touch, a few good runs into the box, not afraid to tackle by any means. thats only the second time i've seen him, and only on TV, so i wont make my mind up finally but i dont see him offering much for the next three matches. he's only 22 and has been playing regularly in CM of a team i was very impressed with in terms of style of play, movement, passing so definitely worth keeping an eye on

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kingdom hoop View Post
    note to stan; he played in a pretty advanced central role alongside barton and dabo in a three man midfield where any defensive frailties would not be exposed.
    I still can't believe he thought Ireland-Kilbane in a 4-4-2 would work against any international team. One of the worst decisions ever made by an Ireland manager.

Good to see Ireland taking his chances this season. Goal:
    http://www.4shared.com/file/8975026/...Wednesday.html

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Wasn't impressed with Ireland: thought he gave the ball away a fair bit like Whelan otherwise agree with Kingdom's summary.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Kingdom Hoop
    very impressive display by ireland i thought, hardly gave the ball away the whole game,
    Owls Fan
    Wasn't impressed with Ireland: thought he gave the ball away a fair bit like Whelan otherwise agree with Kingdom's summary.
    Which impression has more credibility?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    I was watching it from a point of view to see how much Ireland would hurt Wednesday. He scored ok but the goal was set up by Barton and he played a few other useful passes but he gave the ball away a lot as well like Whelan
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Which impression has more credibility?

owls fan has way more posts so maybe he has earned the right to more credibility, or not maybe if he hasnt impressed with his opinions??

bear in mind that he was watching the match through blue and white tinted glasses, that may have clouded his judgement

ireland played a good few incisive passes that created good goalscoring opportunities, i guess andy reid type balls, which i hadnt seen him do too much of before so, and his overall passing i thought was good. one area that definitely needs work though is his shooting, 3 shots that i remember, 2 that a six year old would have hit harder and the other went out for a throw in prompting andy gray to comment that if youre going to shoot wide you may as well go the whole hog and try to put it out for a throw-in, a revolutionary idea, that man really should have been a coach

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I thought Ireland played well also and I agree with the Andy Reid comparision.
    In Trap we trust

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Then my inclination is to suspect Owls Fan's eyes were at times tearstained.

I like the player, I hope he continues with his form. I'd assume that Stan will have either him or Reid in the team. Apart from the lack midfield balance against Cyprus with Ireland & Kilbane together, he looked far from sharp enough to be selected then.
    True recognition will come when Eirebhoy starts to compare him favourably to the one named N.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    The player ratings from the Manchester Evening Times: http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....r_ratings.html

Dunne: Strong in the air and didn't lack for pace 7
    Ireland: Lively showing brought him a deserved goal 8
    Ireland was second in the voting for MOTM behind Barton.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Then my inclination is to suspect Owls Fan's eyes were at times tearstained.

Have shed tears for the green, never for the blue and white although plenty reason to.

I would like to see stats of the pass completion rates. I remember Ireland wafting a few over the touchline and saying "great" to myself (with a conscience).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    The Ireland - Andy Reid comparison is a good one. Both are pretty poor tacklers who are very similar on the ball.

Like Andy Reid, Ireland gives up possession fairly often by trying to play penetrating through balls. But for every few mistakes, he'll put through a player with a great scoring chance.

If not for the horrible finishing of the Man City "strikers," he would have been credited with at least 3 setups.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post

Some hack in a raincoat in the Sun: must be correct so .

Andy Reid at his best is different class to Ireland. I used to see a lot of Reid when he played for Forest in the lower divisions. Stood out by a mile. I am so disappointed he hasn't made the progress I'd expect of him at the top level, not helped by injuries. He is in my opinion a far more complete player than Ireland but we shall see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Ireland is too light IMO. He's still young enough to develop but he needs to bulk up a little. At the top level he's brushed off too easily.

IMO Reid (who is the opposit) is a better player
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    I'd agree that Reid is a far more complete player than Ireland but Ireland has time on his side.

Reid has been outstanding in an admittedly poor Charlton team this season. Hopefully he'll do enough to get a move in the summer (Roy Keane's Sunderland anybody?) because I can see them being relegated at this stage.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    chinese whispers seemed to have developed

ireland played a good few incisive passes that created good goalscoring opportunities, i guess andy reid type balls,
    didnt compare the players. i was just happy to see the creative aspect of irelands play. i think his tackling is better than reids, both are poor sliders but ireland seems to nip in more to dispossess. he is showing great potential and in time will bulk up. the biggest difference i see is that ireland is going bald at 18

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast