Page 53 of 66 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 1306

Thread: Kevin Doyle

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by p2011 View Post
    I just don't see what Sammon has to offer. He looks like a target man so he makes us even more likely to play pointless long balls, which has been our problem now for years. We need to get away from that game.
    'Looks' being the operative word. The fella of course doesn't choose himself but he has nothing to offer at international level. If Trap honestly believes this guy belongs in an Ireland shirt and (less important though more amusing) the English premier league, it would reflect a sad deterioration in both his judgement and our chances of success. I suspect however, that everything is working just fine in the auld fella's noggin and the truth is that no matter the false compliments and positive psychology, he really believes we're a limited, middling bunch whose only chance of making it relies on the system he's prescribed for us, of which the long ball is a key feature. Hence Sammon, the bogus 'big man'.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    404 Posts
    I haven't heard long balls discussed like this since the first time Cox was brought into the squad.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by p2011 View Post
    He looks like a target man so he makes us even more likely to play pointless long balls, which has been our problem now for years. We need to get away from that game.
    The irony here is that he's absolutely atrocious as a target man. Robbie Keane won more headers than Sammon did in the friendly -vs- Spain a month or two ago, something Keane is not exactly noted for. Long and Doyle are far better. There's no way Sammon could score the kind of goal Long got against England. His strengths apparently lie in the fact that he's got a deft touch for a big lad (which I don't agree with, he's not particularly tall for a start). He's basically a big bag of fail and the sooner we get rid of him the better.

However, I think the real issue here is that Doyle hasn't been playing well for a year anyway, and Trap is looking for someone who can head the ball to replace him. The answer definitely isn't Sammon.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    404 Posts
    So you believe we would be sort of swimming upstream if we pick Conor?

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    If it's mating season most definitely.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    @Sull/Serb: Exactly... I used the word "looks" very deliberately. You would think he was a target man, and the opposition manager probably thinks he is a target man too. I'd rate him behind Long, Keane, Walters, Doyle, Cox.... so I don't know how he's starting games for us. Like I said, his presence encourages hoofing and we need to get away from persistent hoofing.

If we are to persist with this nonsense of putting strikers on the wing and if Keane is undroppable no matter what our formation, then I'd sooner see the likes of Doyle or even Long providing agressive running and a bit of goal threat from the wing (which is supposedly Trap's thinking in playing the static Walters or Cox there). If it wasn't for Doyle's agressive run down the left and good cross in Kazakhstan that created the penalty and then for his winner, this campaign would have been dead in the water from the start.

For what it's worth, I'd like to see something like:

Long
    Winger-Hoolahan-Winger
    McCarthy-CM
    Wilson-O'Shea-CB-Coleman
    Forde

Winger: we have decent options here with McGeady,McClean, Brady, Pilkington etc... so there's no need for strikers there who offer nothing.
    CM: Ideally Gibson, alternatively one of Andrews, Whelan at a push, Meyler, Hendrick...
    CB: could be Dunne, SSL, R.Keogh, O'Dea...

That team could mix Irish directness and agressiveness with a bit of football ability. And we'll need a bit of possession if we're to get anything from Vienna and Cologne in autumn and hang on to unlikely leads or hold out for draws. Are we supposed to go to those places with long ball 4-4-2s and get results, Trap?

But of course Trap is convinced that we can't play football and STILL hasn't tried out a 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 (call it what you will) in any sensible way from the start of a friendly despite 3 friendlies and the game against the weak Faroes recently. (I also don't understand why we need Pilkington to try out a new formation, this sounds like a Trap red herring.) With Trap's 4-4-2, we manage to look outgunned in midfield even against the likes of Armenia and Georgia when they go down to ten men. And I thought you hired Italians for clever tactics and defensive stability...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    'Wolves refute Celtic have bid for Kevin Doyle': http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/...r-kevin-doyle/

Wolves today dismissed speculation that they have turned down a £500,000 bid from Celtic for Kevin Doyle.

A report in Ireland today claimed the offer for the 29-year-old striker was rejected by Molineux chiefs.

Head coach Kenny Jackett said: “There is no information or approaches on Doyle.

“During the summer there have been rumours in the papers but we’ve got nothing concrete at the moment and Kevin is a Wolves player.”

Doyle returned to full training yesterday after recovering from a flu bug over the weekend.

The Ireland international hasn’t played all summer but Jackett added: “He may well be in our plans for Preston.”

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Celtic fans aren't keen...

Doyle also been linked with Leeds due to the McDermott connection. Though his current wages may exclude them both?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Despite his form over the past season, 500k is a bargain for a player of his quality.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Wolves must be regretting not getting £5m for him 2 years ago (then again I suppose it was worth the risk).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    404 Posts
    I feel like he would have been Lennon's Yoko Ono if he had signed with Celtic.

14. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    The London Times this morning reporting Doyle is being excluded from the Wolves squad this season along with Ward, O'Hara and Roger Johnson.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    404 Posts
    What does that mean, they are going to pay him to not play?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I assume they're trying to force him to accept lower terms to get out.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Serb View Post
    Despite his form over the past season, 500k is a bargain for a player of his quality.
    Depends on the wages he's after. On a high contract like a few other Irish players who've declined recentluy, so unless he accepts less, liable to fester at Wolves in Div.3!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Ward, O'Hara and Roger Johnson.
    We should offer that chap a 'B' international call-up for the craic.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    He's looking good for the England World Cup squad I reckon.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Celtic up offer to £750k apparently. Wolves looking for somewhere in the region of £2.5m. Currently on wages of £40k pw

Celtic fans not overly enthused at the prosepct, let alone paying even £750k for the privilege.

Doesnt appear to be many (if any) other clubs sniffing around.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    What does that mean, they are going to pay him to not play?
    I think it may have something to do with wages being linked to tunover in League 1 and League 2. I think clubs can only select a team (or perhaps it's even a squad) who have a combined wage equal to (or below) a percentage of turnover (say 60% or something).

I remember reading that if Wolves and Blackburn went down they would probably not be able to include high earners in the team (like Rodger Johnstone, Kevin Doyle, Gamst Pedersen and Jordan Rhodes) or if they did they would have to offset their wages by making up the rest of the team with YTS (youth) players on a couple of hundred a week.

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Why are Celtic fans getting so fussy?

Kris Commons & Samaras play for em ffs!!!

Page 53 of 66 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast