Page 50 of 66 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 1306

Thread: Kevin Doyle

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    Kevin Doyle had a great chance to score about five seconds into the Italy match in Poland. He missed and hasn't been the same player since.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    Kevin Doyle had a great chance to score about five seconds into the Italy match in Poland. He missed and hasn't been the same player since.
    I'm sure he still has nightmares about that...

In seriousness, I can't even remember the chance to which you're referring. It's not like there would have been a huge deal riding on it to cause him stress since, is there?

If something was to be pinpointed as what is to blame for Doyle's difficulty in regaining his form of old, I'd put it down to the injury he picked up against Macedonia that kept him out for a while and continued to niggle him for a good while after, if memory serves me rightly.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    He pretty much turned the game in Kazakhstan.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by p2011 View Post
    He pretty much turned the game in Kazakhstan.
    Obviously I was being facetious!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    I agree he is finished.
    Throw him on the heap with McClean and Clark

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    Don't forget about James McCarthy

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    This may be just more Trap bashing, but if true, this is a crap way to treat players. I would have thought that a phone call would be appropriate considering recent history, and as we all know, the written word can be misinterpreted. No excuses can be made for such poor treatment of players.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-29144691.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    This may be just more Trap bashing, but if true, this is a crap way to treat players. I would have thought that a phone call would be appropriate considering recent history, and as we all know, the written word can be misinterpreted. No excuses can be made for such poor treatment of players.

Shocking decision to dump him from the squad but I think people are getting their knickers in a twist over this phone call stuff. They are big boys-a text should be fine.
    I

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    I don't really see the issue either. It's not like Trap has to explain himself and apologise to every player he declines to select. I think it's another case of the media making a big deal out of nothing in order to further paint Trap as lacking in communication skills; he's impersonal, dismissive and unsympathetic, allegedly.

Trap regularly contacts players by text and there have been no problems with this in the past; the likes of Damien Duff, Shay Given, Richard Dunne and Stephen Hunt have had no problems with it. In fact, it's not even apparent that Doyle has taken issue specifically with the form of communication Trap used. It's a modern form of communication; why not utilise it if it gets the message across? Not every player Trap declines from selecting receives a personal text. There was no obligation upon him to even contact Doyle at all. And at least you can say he had the decency to get in touch with him and let him know he wouldn't forget about him in future.

This is spin:

Quote Originally Posted by The Irish Independent
    The Wexford native said he was "very disappointed" with how the news was communicated to him. He has not spoken to the manager about his feelings.
    It's taken from the following (ambiguous in the context) quote by Doyle, where Doyle is referring to his disappointment at being left out of the team. He also happens to mention (as a secondary item of info perhaps) that it had been via a text message he had read the news:

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Doyle
    I was very disappointed to come in after the game to a text message saying I wasn’t to travel to Ireland to join up with the squad.
    It is certainly not clear that he's being critical of Trap's method of communication here.

12. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    I don't really see the issue either. It's not like Trap has to explain himself and apologise to every player he declines to select. I think it's another case of the media making a big deal out of nothing in order to further paint Trap as lacking in communication skills; he's impersonal, dismissive and unsympathetic, allegedly.

Trap regularly contacts players by text and there have been no problems with this in the past; the likes of Damien Duff, Shay Given, Richard Dunne and Stephen Hunt have had no problems with it. In fact, it's not even apparent that Doyle has taken issue specifically with the form of communication Trap used. It's a modern form of communication; why not utilise it if it gets the message across? Not every player Trap declines from selecting receives a personal text. There was no obligation upon him to even contact Doyle at all. And at least you can say he had the decency to get in touch with him and let him know he wouldn't forget about him in future.

This is spin:

It's taken from the following (ambiguous in the context) quote by Doyle, where Doyle is referring to his disappointment at being left out of the team. He also happens to mention (as a secondary item of info perhaps) that it had been via a text message he had read the news:

It is certainly not clear that he's being critical of Trap's method of communication here.
    I can see what you're saying but why couldn't Trap or Tardelli phone Doyle and the other 5-6 players that didn't make the final cut.

A phone call would take 5 minutes max. That's half an hour of their time and it shows more respect than a text message. Any sort of text/email communication can be viewed as disrespectful, impersonal or as someone taking the easy way out.

I don't think the text message stuff is the end of the world and I believe the media has spun this to pursue their agenda but for the sake of good relations with his players and to show maximum respect, he should have spoken to the players IMO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    But there's no indication that any player has specifically taken issue with Trap's method of communication; not even Doyle, despite what the media are trying to have us believe.

Why exactly are text messages seen as disrespectful? Would a written letter have been disrespectful? If something sufficiently and succinctly communicates the intended message and neither party has a problem with it, is there any need for the hoo-ha?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,343 Posts
    was listening to Off The Ball last night, and Ronnie Whelan was on talking about Doyle. He said there should be no problem with a text message, when he was a player, the club would receive a letter, or a fax, to inform them of who was in or out of the international squad, and it was up to them to let the players know.

Interesting comment on twitter last night - should Doyle be more concerned about being told he was out via text, or why he was omitted in the first place?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

16. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    But there's no indication that any player has specifically taken issue with Trap's method of communication; not even Doyle, despite what the media are trying to have us believe.

Why exactly are text messages seen as disrespectful? Would a written letter have been disrespectful? If something sufficiently and succinctly communicates the intended message and neither party has a problem with it, is there any need for the hoo-ha?
    And perhaps Doyle is fine with it. I could actually believe that and I'm not trying to have a pop at Trap for the sake of it.

But even if he is fine with it, I'd bet he'd feel better about it if he'd had a conversation with Trap or Tardelli. At least had the opportunity to find out why he was dropped, seek assurances that he has a future and so on.

It's very easy for anyone to just send a text because, in reality, you probably won't have to deal with any ill-feeling first hand. It could be seen as the coward's way out even if that wasn't your intention. A phone call, explaining your decision and giving Doyle the chance to get clarity on the decision would have been better in my view.

Like I say, I don't think it's a major error or a big deal but I do believe that a phone call would have been a better way to communicate this and would have been appreciated more by the players concerned IMO.

Just because the text was an adequate form of communication doesn't mean it was the best form of communication. For the sake of 30 mins, he should have called those players.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post

He's being ridiculous and precious like a lot of soccer players are these days sour from a decision. Trap didn't have to send him anything, should he alert every player who doesn't make a squad? Honestly I'm disappointed in Doyle for coming out with this, I thought he'd have a bit more cop on than pulling these kind of "I've been treated unfairly" shenanigans.
    The way he's been playing for the past 2 seasons the only shock for him should have been that it didn't come sooner.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Oh ya, but Kidney was right to phone ROG no doubt about his exclusion murfinator.

Keep your argument consistent and people will respect your opinion a lot more.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Murfinator View Post
    He's being ridiculous and precious like a lot of soccer players are these days sour from a decision. Trap didn't have to send him anything, should he alert every player who doesn't make a squad? Honestly I'm disappointed in Doyle for coming out with this, I thought he'd have a bit more cop on than pulling these kind of "I've been treated unfairly" shenanigans.
    You're putting words in Doyle's mouth now and presuming he took issue with Trap's mode of communication.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Oh ya, but Kidney was right to phone ROG no doubt about his exclusion murfinator.

Keep your argument consistent and people will respect your opinion a lot more.
    I don't recall commenting on ROG's exclusion let alone having an issue with the communication method. Nor did ROG complain about it.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts
    You're putting words in Doyle's mouth now and presuming he took issue with Trap's mode of communication.
    The article is, I'm assuming it's accurate.

The Wexford native said he was "very disappointed" with how the news was communicated to him.
    Even if taken out of context, Doyle is no fool and revealing the means of his dropping or talking about it at all he would have known how the press would run with that. In the buildup to a do or die qualification week it's very poor form to try and feed the negative media with something irrelevant to the squad. My opinion has lowered of him, that's not something any team player would do.
    Last edited by Murfinator; 21/03/2013 at 10:17 AM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Murfinator View Post
    I don't recall commenting on ROG's exclusion let alone having an issue with the communication method. Nor did ROG complain about it.
    The point is, ROG was phoned. That's what I am saying, before the squad was announced. Of course you don't have an issue, but I know your sort, and I can be sure you would be one of those on a rugby forum jumping up and down saying disgraceful that ROG wasn't phoned or spoken to(either before squad announcement or to be let known that he was going to be dropped) bla bla.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,916 Posts
    Paul, you're rambling way beyond coherent boundaries.

Page 50 of 66 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast