Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 16 of 66 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Kevin Doyle

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    Well, despite some people here predicting that just about every team in the Premiership wanted Doyle, he remains at Reading. I have often wondered about this pro-Doyle anti-Keane thing many supporters have. There are a few behind me at Lansdowne who ignore any misplaced pass by Doyle but the minute Robbie loses possession, they're down on him like a ton of bricks. It is because Doyle was originally LoI ? Doyle isn't a bad player but is overrated by many and if you gave me the choice of Keane or Doyle, I'd always go for Keane.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    It is because Doyle was originally LoI ?
    Yes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Doyle and Hunt know they are at a brilliant club and don't need to move - Coppell I'm sure persuaded them to stay. I'd imagine there were a number of clubs after the pair of them but they'll be back in the PL next August so why mess a good thing up? Just ask Robbie.

Robbie vs Doyle? I rate both players so cannot really comment but have noticed the Pro Keane lobby tend to be from Dublin

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Well, despite some people here predicting that just about every team in the Premiership wanted Doyle, he remains at Reading. I have often wondered about this pro-Doyle anti-Keane thing many supporters have. There are a few behind me at Lansdowne who ignore any misplaced pass by Doyle but the minute Robbie loses possession, they're down on him like a ton of bricks. It is because Doyle was originally LoI ? Doyle isn't a bad player but is overrated by many and if you gave me the choice of Keane or Doyle, I'd always go for Keane.
    RK has done far more for Ireland than Doyle, obviously as he has been playing far longer. Over the past couple of yrs Doyle has played far better than Keane in the green shirt if not necessarily at club level. We are lucky to have the two of them as it's about the only area of the pitch where we do have outstanding quality, and maybe the wings.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Yeah like the public sector worker and the private sector worker. Do not set Robbie Keane and Kevin Doyle at loggerheads. They are not the problem.
    In Trap we trust

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    dont you mean loggerbees? Loggerhead is 10 miles down the road....
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post
    If you're going to say that any position is sorted then it has to be the man between the sticks.

Keane and Doyle haven't forged a particularly good partnership. In the last 2 years Keane has scored 5 and Doyle 6, its hardly a good return for 20+ games. But then more of that is down to delivery than finishing.
    I didn't mean to a disservice to Given, true enough though possibly our most important player, especially for the big games. I don't think Keane and Doyle are an ideal partnership but if the rest of the team plays well I'm sure they'll improve. I don't think any other partnership is an option anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post
    Keane and Doyle haven't forged a particularly good partnership. In the last 2 years Keane has scored 5 and Doyle 6, its hardly a good return for 20+ games. But then more of that is down to delivery than finishing.
    They've started together 17 times. Keane has scored 10. Doyle 4.

Keane's total goal to start ratio for Ireland is 43%. With Doyle it's 59%.
    Doyle's total goal to start ratio for Ireland is 30%. With Keane it's 24%.

It's not all about goals of course though.
    Last edited by eirebhoy; 04/02/2009 at 6:09 PM.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    They are some really interesting statistics. Maybe its my Wexford bias, but I was always a little critical of Keane's willingness to pass to Doyle in key positions.

However, since Trap took over they look a lot more like a functioning strike partnership. The performance in the away Georgia match I thought was particularly good.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    872 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diarmo View Post
    They are some really interesting statistics. Maybe its my Wexford bias, but I was always a little critical of Keane's willingness to pass to Doyle in key positions.

However, since Trap took over they look a lot more like a functioning strike partnership. The performance in the away Georgia match I thought was particularly good.
    Thats probably down to some decent coaching on the training pitch in the run up to games now, for the last couple of seasons they havent had that under Staunton. Im a big fan of Doyle and Keane and I still think they have the makings of a very good partnership
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diarmo View Post
    Maybe its my Wexford bias, but I was always a little critical of Keane's willingness to pass to Doyle in key positions.
    No, I think there were times we could all see that Doyle was frustrated when Keane elected not to pass. I'd say it wasn't usually outright selfishness though, more a case of poor decision making. Robbie's a skillful player so taking his man on is always an option for him, but too frequently from Doyle's (and our) perspective it has been the wrong option.

Somewhat geekishly I do recall one intance in the Norway friendly where Doyle was screaming for a pass inside but Robbie went solo, but in that instance I think Norway's CB positioned himself well to cut out any prospective pass.

Personally I reckon the reason the partnership hasn't wholly gelled is because each has to work so hard to compensate for central midfield's weaknesses that they're usually very far apart and quite a distance from the midfield. Robbie is always dropping deep and Doyle is often seen out wide cutting the supply route from opposing full backs. If our midfield had a better grip on the game I think you'd see Keane & Doyle perform better both individually and together.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Personally I reckon the reason the partnership hasn't wholly gelled is because each has to work so hard to compensate for central midfield's weaknesses that they're usually very far apart and quite a distance from the midfield. Robbie is always dropping deep and Doyle is often seen out wide cutting the supply route from opposing full backs. If our midfield had a better grip on the game I think you'd see Keane & Doyle perform better both individually and together.
    Definately a factor. They were dead on their feet toward the end of the Cyprus game...
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_peepee View Post
    Definately a factor. They were dead on their feet toward the end of the Cyprus game...
    Lucky we dont have a Berbatov type character up front who couldnt be arsed putting in the hard work.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    872 Posts
    Just been awarded Irish International player of the year. Well deserved
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Well done to Kevin Doyle, deserved the award. Had tough competition to win it, Shay Given and................. John O' Shea.
    Coleman for Ireland

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    Scored again at last against...well you probably know who. A few more now before the Bulgaria game would be good. Long scored as well.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,336 Posts
    Long's goal was a cracker actually, ran on to a through ball into the penalty area, steadied himself, and shot across the keeper to the far side of the goal.
    Doyle's was a header on the far post from a corner, was harder to miss to be honest. If you leave a player like Doyle all alone from a set piece, you deserve everything you get.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    also, was it doyle who played long in for his goal? haven't seen the goals as i was at five-a-side, but thought i heard that on the radio on the way home.

doyle's been our best player in the last few internationals by far. no bias there either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by magnumpi View Post
    also, was it doyle who played long in for his goal? haven't seen the goals as i was at five-a-side, but thought i heard that on the radio on the way home.

doyle's been our best player in the last few internationals by far. no bias there either.
    No it was Stephen Hunt that played Long in according to the report on BBC-http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot..._1/7908429.stm

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BarelyLegal View Post
    No it was Stephen Hunt that played Long in according to the report on BBC-http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot..._1/7908429.stm
    Yes, a very nice pass from from SHunt setup Long for the winner. I just watched the highlight clip on Reading World to be sure.

Page 16 of 66 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast