Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: League of Ireland/Irish League

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

League of Ireland/Irish League

http://eleven-a-side.com/acrossthewa...p?newsid=25982

Craig Levein here calling the League of Ireland, Irish league. Reading certain newspapers over here about certain clubs picking up players from the Irish League. Good God lads, get it right at least! Does this bug anyone either?
    'Fascists dress in black and go round telling people what to do, where as priests.....'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    bugs me lots , still get loads of fools over on the boards.ie soccer board calling it that .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    doesn't bug me in the slightest

they're both Irish Leagues

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wws View Post

Irish people should know the difference. We don't help out cause by use of LOI & eL together.

Don't blame foreigners as a league in Ireland would mean 'Irish League' just like league in France is 'french league'..
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    now known as the 'Premiership' in Ireland which will clear up any remaining confus....... .... d'oh

you idiot delaney!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Correction, they're both Irish leagues. The Irish League is the Irish League, although the League of Ireland is THE Irish league, in my opinion.
    A leading authority on League of Ireland football since 2003. You're probably wrong.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Because I'm allergic to hoolocrats, to smack, to geeks, to Ollie Byrne, to forty-year old civil servants who hate Bohemians marginally less than they hate everything else in the universe, and because Kildare is too far away.
    A leading authority on League of Ireland football since 2003. You're probably wrong.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,269 Posts
    now known as the 'Premiership' in Ireland which will clear up any remaining confus....... .... d'oh

you idiot delaney!
    No it's not. It's the eircom League of Ireland Premier Division and First Division.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    370 Posts
    It doesn`t mean anything, certainly no offence. Most people in the uk always refer to the 6 counties as ireland anway, for eg you would never hear someone from london heading to belfast as saying 'im heading over to northern ireland' it would always be 'to ireland' this is no dis-respect in anyway, they simply have no interest.

over there they have no interest in defining between north/south/republic/n.ireland/eircom/irish lge.

i`d go as far as saying the avg football fan in the uk wouldn`t even know there are two seperate leagues in existence on this island.

also take a poll in any part of uk and i reckon most people wouldn`t even know sterling is the currency in a part of this island !

so loi/ir lge is the least of their worries.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I'd have to agree with you there, Oriel...and there's definitely no offence meant by it. Jaysus, football "supporters" who have lived their whole live in Ireland are way more offensive to their own National League(...and I appreciate their apathy is a boring topic of conversation at this stage). I've found people over here in England to be very respectful of Irish football, and are way more interested in talking to me about IRISH football than about what my opinions are on the Premiership, etc.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Confucius say lighten up lads. You're suffering from withdrawal, why not do yourselves a favour and take in an Irish League match some Saturday. I've been up North recently and enjoyed the experience. A great way to keep the juices flowing while waiting for the Setanta Cup to start.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Eoingull View Post
    I've found people over here in England to be very respectful of Irish football, and are way more interested in talking to me about IRISH football than about what my opinions are on the Premiership, etc.
    I don't take offence over the confusion. Its an easy mistake to make if you're a foreigner; If you're not, it just makes you look stupid.

Like Eoingull, I find I get a lot more respect as an eL fan, outside Ireland than at home.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooperatzi View Post
    not because the farce of a franchised pipedream you used to follow collapsed without a whimper?

smack?

what the hell is a 'hoolocrat'?
    Lads, calm down, both of you.

why are you still here?
    Its not your decision, he has as much right to be here as anyone else.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    I've found people over here in England to be very respectful of Irish football, and are way more interested in talking to me about IRISH football than about what my opinions are on the Premiership, etc.
    I most definitely agree with this, to the point where English fans will always seek out the local club and support it when they are here. Why? because they support football and not Sky Sports.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    I'd have to agree with you there, Oriel...and there's definitely no offence meant by it. Jaysus, football "supporters" who have lived their whole live in Ireland are way more offensive to their own National League(...and I appreciate their apathy is a boring topic of conversation at this stage). I've found people over here in England to be very respectful of Irish football, and are way more interested in talking to me about IRISH football than about what my opinions are on the Premiership, etc.
    The lads I play football with on a Wednesday were all up-to-speed with Derry City last season, just by seeing the results on Sky.

They used to say to me every week things like 'Good result for your boys on the weekend etc', and kept a close eye on our Euro adventure.

I bet if I was playing footie for a team in Dublin they wouldn't have the first feckin clue that theer were even teams in Ireland.....

P.S. Though unluckily for Pauro, they still have no idea who Longford Town are.....
    Last edited by dcfcsteve; 10/01/2007 at 10:42 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts
    The way we're going, the boys will have even less of a clue this time next season. I was once asked randomly in a bar in Dublin, what team I was. I said Longford Town. the muppet had no idea. He meant obviously a Premiership team! A few bar workmates and regulars back in Kingston, they've always kept an eye out on Town results through the newspapers and had a bit of banter... even my Spurs supporting housemates here keep an eye and see how we're doing sometimes. I think through friends, some people are genuinely interested. Especially now the likes of Doyle and Long making it in England. Im totally ashamed of the barstoolers back home sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by dcfcsteve View Post
    P.S. Though unluckily for Pauro, they still have no idea who Longford Town are.....
    'Fascists dress in black and go round telling people what to do, where as priests.....'

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PAURO 7 View Post
    Im totally ashamed of the barstoolers back home sometimes.
    I hear you but it's actually worse, if that's possible, in the States. Doesnt look good for Longford considering that your players this season will be more or less amateur but you had your day in the sun.

KOH

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfcsteve View Post
    I bet if I was playing footie for a team in Dublin they wouldn't have the first feckin clue that theer were even teams in Ireland.....
    eh what???

go to an astro park any day of the week
    north or southside

the amount of LoI jersies on display is quite large

i'd say the majority don't attend games but are quite well disposed to the league