Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mls 2007?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gustavo View Post
    He always struck me as a very likeable individual , but differernt strokes for different folks I guess
    He is the epitome of everything that is wrong with the game. To football what Paris Hilton is to music.
    TO TELL THE TRUTH IS REVOLUTIONARY

The ONLY foot.ie user with a type of logic named after them!

All of this has happened before. All of it will happen again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    It appears that Colorado is re-branding from the Rapids to "Arsenal Colorado FC." They're passing it off as because the new stadium is on the site of the old Rocky Mountain Arsenal, but the connection to a certain team in the EPL is hard to miss. Not official yet, but several potential web addresses have been claimed by the team ownership, and the new crest was accidentally leaked on the club's home page briefly. (I got to see a few screen caps on the BigSoccer.com boards.) From the posts there, it doesn't seem to be a popular move with their fans. They're calling it a copycat move rather than sticking with something original that had a connection to the area. Rapids made sense given local geography, and the feeling is the league needs to build tradition, which means no more re-branding of team names. Could be a long while before this change is accepted by the fans out West.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    As it turns out, Colorado won't be changing names, just kit and colors. They did claim domain names for an Aresnal rebranding, but the current story claims they just wanted to avoid cybersquatters. I wonder if the fan backlash had anything to do with it though. A lot of their supporters seemed to be fine with the "Rapids".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by YankExile View Post
    As it turns out, Colorado won't be changing names, just kit and colors. They did claim domain names for an Aresnal rebranding, but the current story claims they just wanted to avoid cybersquatters. I wonder if the fan backlash had anything to do with it though. A lot of their supporters seemed to be fine with the "Rapids".
    Piece on it on sky sports today. Its an official link up and Arsenal will be sending coaches etc and they showed new badges and kits for rapids but no change of name. Good to hear
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    I'm glad Colorado Crapids didnt change their name...
    BTW a little birdie tells me that Zidane will join NY...personally I don't believe it though.
    "Jacques Santini...will be greeted in every dugout of the country by "one-nil, one-nil" - Clive Tyldsley, 89th minute of France-England June 13, 2004.
    "Ooooohhhh Nooooooo" Bobby Robson 91st minute.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metrostars View Post
    BTW a little birdie tells me that Zidane will join NY...personally I don't believe it though.
    I've seen thar rumour, I've also heard he has told NY (Chicago, too) that he is retired, and has no intention whatever of coming back. Time will tell I guess.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    So, the mls season starts tomorrow. Looking forward to it actually, I'll be heading to giants stadium for the first NY home game next week. NY just recently got my favourite mls player Clint Mathis back, although it remains to be seen if he can lay off the beer and junk food and finally get this scoring touch back.

oh the good old days of Mathis:

"Jacques Santini...will be greeted in every dugout of the country by "one-nil, one-nil" - Clive Tyldsley, 89th minute of France-England June 13, 2004.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by YankExile View Post
    No clue which one Davids would be, had to look up on Wikipedia to find out who he was.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Watched assorted coverage yesterday. If you people think the TV coverage in ROI sucks, the stuff in the US can be awful too. The opening match of the day was DC United vs. Colorado on ABC. Julie Foudy was flat and uninspiring as a commentator, and bogged things down with overanalysis sometimes. She used to excel for the US women's NT, but has trouble making the transition to broadcasting despite obvious knowledge of the game. Her partner was Dave O'Brien, who proved himself to be clueless and passionless. He had trouble telling what was going on at times, couldn't tell what the official's signals like offside meant, and didn't seem to show all that much enthusiasm for the event. He topped it off by telling the same stories repeatedly about assorted players. Reusing the same material over and over isn't a wise move in telecasts for any sport.

During the second half, Fred came on as a sub for DC. This led to the mention of him being the first DC player to wear only his first name on the jersey, and then a cutaway from live action to a list of famous people named Fred. Why this would even be worthwhile during a stoppage is beyond me, doing it during gameplay is mind-boggling.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I watched Toronto's home opener this afternoon. This club really needs Ronnie O'Brien back from injury. 4 games, 4 losses, no points in standings yet, and an aggregate score of 10-0 against. Things may be improving a bit as TFC only lost 1-0 to Kansas City today, and was in it most of the game. Up till the goal was scored I though they had a great chance of ending it 0-0.

Even as a first-year expansion side, though, heading into your 5th game with zero goals is embarrassing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Juan Pablo Angel has been on a tear since joining NY. 6 goals in 4 games. This year has seen an improving in the quality of play overall.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    What sort of standard is the top league in MLS? Would it be Championship standard?
    The Hallion Battalion Molests football.:D

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Hard to guess but I would say maybe mid table Championship. Each team has 4-5 good players but then there is a big drop off in quality.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12